SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy Costume Requirements

Jed Cooper

I’m new to CAS and just got a few matches in before the winter weather hit us and have plenty of time to think about things. I’m looking into the Classic Cowboy category. I see the requirements are to pick 5 of the following:

o  Chaps,  western  spurs  with  rowels  and  spur  straps,  cuffs,  tie  or  scarf  worn loosely  around  the  neck  or  with  scarf  slide,  vest,  pocket  watch  with  full length  chain,  jacket,  sleeve  garters,  knife  (screw  knives  do  NOT  qualify), botas,  leggings,  or  braces.    

Im trying to decide what to select and had a few questions. 

Cuffs: I’m guessing these are the leather wrist cuffs that protect your wrists?

Braces: What kind of braces are they referring to?

Botas: What is that?

Just seeing what I can put together with minimal investment to get into this category. I’ve spent most of my budget on the firearms and reloading supplies so far. Been using my down time to get my ammo stockpiled. 

Thanks for any input and I’d love to see any pictures of your costumes and what 5 items you selected

Jed

Cuffs: I’m guessing these are the leather wrist cuffs that protect your wrists

Yes

Suspenders

Leather covering that covers the bottom part of the leg

il_794xN.1383220391_qcib.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jed Cooper said:

I’m new to CAS and just got a few matches in before the winter weather hit us and have plenty of time to think about things. I’m looking into the Classic Cowboy category. I see the requirements are to pick 5 of the following:

o  Chaps,  western  spurs  with  rowels  and  spur  straps,  cuffs,  tie  or  scarf  worn loosely  around  the  neck  or  with  scarf  slide,  vest,  pocket  watch  with  full length  chain,  jacket,  sleeve  garters,  knife  (screw  knives  do  NOT  qualify), botas,  leggings,  or  braces.    

Cuffs: I’m guessing these are the leather wrist cuffs that protect your wrists? YES

Braces: What kind of braces are they referring to? Think suspenders.

Botas: What is that? purdyleathercowboybotas-1.jpg

Just seeing what I can put together with minimal investment to get into this category. I’ve spent most of my budget on the firearms and reloading supplies so far. Been using my down time to get my ammo stockpiled. 

Thanks for any input and I’d love to see any pictures of your costumes and what 5 items you selected

Jed

See this thread:

Welcome, Jed

I shoot classic cowboy occasionally, and would always if they allowed gunfighter shooting style. Anyway, I'll try to answer your questions. Cuffs: yes the wrist cuffs. Braces: fancy name for suspenders. Botas: These are like half chaps from the bottom up that cover the boots and shins.

Just as important as the clothing are the types of guns and calibers. Are you up on that? Must be 40 caliber and up (or 36 for cap guns), 73 or earlier rifle, and a hammered double or 87. You good to go there?

Edit: Looks like I got beat out by the two gentleman before me. I need to learn to type faster

I usually have at least 9 items on at a shoot. My opinion is it is a "costume" category so "Go all out or go home". Getting by with the least amount possible is not what the category is about. Nothing personal just my opinion.

I’m good on the guns and calibers. I’m shooting 45 colt and my goal getting started is not to be the fastest, just to have fun. That being said it seems the fastest guys out there generally shooting 38/357 so I figured I might as well get myself in a category with guys shooting the .40 or larger calibers...

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I usually have at least 9 items on at a shoot. My opinion is it is a "costume" category so "Go all out or go home". Getting by with the least amount possible is not what the category is about. Nothing personal just my opinion.

I can understand that for sure. I’m just getting started so that’s why I was looking at the minimum requirements and build up from there. 

2 minutes ago, Jed Cooper said:

I’m good on the guns and calibers. I’m shooting 45 colt and my goal getting started is not to be the fastest, just to have fun. That being said it seems the fastest guys out there generally shooting 38/357 so I figured I might as well get myself in a category with guys shooting the .40 or larger calibers...

There are some REALLY FAST Classic Cowboy category shooters. TBone Dooley and Cleve are the first 2 that come to mind.

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

There are some REALLY FAST Classic Cowboy category shooters. TBone Dooley and Cleve are the first 2 that come to mind.

I’m slow as molasses right now any ways so everyone is faster than me lol. I’ve seen that there are indeed some extremely fast guys out there in CC but was just thinking in general. I dabbled in some IPSC some years ago I I know they factor in for guys shooting in the major power vs minor to level the field a bit. Winter seem long already so I just have too much time to think.  

10 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Jed, I shoot CC occasionally, but High Plains HUD and Asa Smith shoot CC all the time. Take a look at them and ask them questions. They love talking about it and “converting“ folks. 

Ya, 3 Shot Shamrock first put the bug in my ear lol. 

A word of caution should you decide to add spurs to your outfit: practice walking and running in them before you have to do it with guns in hand. It's real easy to trip over them if you've never worn them before...

Jed,

I love the Classic Cowboy Category... It is a hoot for sure!  Started a Classic Cowboy Showdown, few years back, if you can make it... Would be great for you to join us this year.  If I can help in anyway.. Feel free to holler.

majorarttillery@gmail.com

Jed,  don’t put too much into making sure you have all the CC accoutrements to shoot monthly matches while you are getting your feet wet.  State level matches and above will require the CC requirements.  If your going to cut your teeth at PCC or Parker, then come shoot and talk to the other CCs.  

5 minutes ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Jed,  don’t put too much into making sure you have all the CC accoutrements to shoot monthly matches while you are getting your feet wet.  State level matches and above will require the CC requirements.  If your going to cut your teeth at PCC or Parker, then come shoot and talk to the other CCs.  

Sounds great. So far I’ve only made a few matches at PCC but I’m right in between there and Parker. Just waiting on some decent weather like everyone else. 

Once you jump into the costuming it can be about as much fun as shooting, about mind you. From day 1 that I started CAS I’ve dressed the classic cowboy part but I’m partial to 1897 shotguns, Pedersoli Lightning rifles and prefer shooting gunfighter style so I’ll dress the part and use the guns that I like and pull my two Old Armies. Still have lots of fun just can’t shoot in that class. I don’t wear the spurs though, tried it once and it wasn’t pretty, try them before you wear them to your first match, you’ll be glad you did.

I've shot "almost Classic Cowboy" for just about forever.  The one time I actually entered as a Classic Cowboy (at the request of a couple other CC's to get the number up enough for awards) the required items I wore were:  Vest, Pocket watch, knife, wild rag, spurs and sleeve garters.  All but the sleeve garters were part of my regular gear.  I had to borrow a hammered shotgun for the match to make CC requirements.

It's actually pretty easy.  I didn't really need the sleeve garters to make the 5 items needed for CC but the guy that really wanted me to switch categories gave them to me.

Now that I think about it, I've been shooting CC unofficially for years since I changed over to Frontiersman and got a hammered shotgun.

Welcome to the game.  You're going to love it.

Black Angus McPherson

If you are married, a word of advice. Don't wear them in the house!!!!   :wub:

A word on the spurs.  While you are getting used to them do not put chains or a strap under your instep.  This will save you from a few headers.

A word on braces: don't buy the cheap ones.  They unbutton easily  leaving your trousers to slide down.  Buy high quality and keep your trousers up.

15 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Does that include your .45 Cowboy specials with 2.5 grains of powder?:P:lol:

Got questions, PM me.....

Classic Cowboy is too much fun!  Its never too late to become a classic cowboy.

My chaps are the real deal, the blood stains are from ranch work.

My spurs have lots of stirrup miles on them.

My knife is damascus and caused the blood stains on the chaps.

My guns are .44 Spcl or .45 Colt, cases are fill with 777 black substitute.

My cuffs were made by a ranch cowboy who needed a side business.

My watch belonged to my dad...

The rags came from a special lady.

Bottom line, its just who I am. 

I tend to dress with a little more flash than most of the CC's of my acquaintance. I like flashy shirts, wild rags, etc., and generally mismatch my wild rag, vest and sleeve garters. 'Cause I can. :D That having been said, at any given match I'm wearing, starting at the top, wild rag with slide (put the slides together myself using conchos), sleeve garters, vest, pocket watch, suspenders, cuffs, belt knife, boot knife and spurs, I've got a pair of chinks that I cowboyed in for quite a few years but I haven't added them to my outfit yet. Maybe some day...

Speaking of spurs, I learned to drive, walk, run etc. (besides riding horses) with spurs on 40 some odd years ago, so now it's second nature...

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 8:03 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I tend to dress with a little more flash than most of the CC's of my acquaintance. I like flashy shirts, wild rags, etc., and generally mismatch my wild rag, vest and sleeve garters. 'Cause I can. :D That having been said, at any given match I'm wearing, starting at the top, wild rag with slide (put the slides together myself using conchos), sleeve garters, vest, pocket watch, suspenders, cuffs, belt knife, boot knife and spurs, I've got a pair of chinks that I cowboyed in for quite a few years but I haven't added them to my outfit yet. Maybe some day...

Speaking of spurs, I learned to drive, walk, run etc. (besides riding horses) with spurs on 40 some odd years ago, so now it's second nature...

Charlie what do you mean a "LITTLE" more flash?

8 hours ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

Charlie what do you mean a "LITTLE" more flash?

:D :D :D :D :D 

On 1/16/2020 at 5:05 PM, Jed Cooper said:

Cuffs: I’m guessing these are the leather wrist cuffs that protect your wrists?

Jed

From a cost stand point I would say the following might be the least costly.

Scarf/wild rag, sleeve garters, suspenders/braces, knife, Spurs w/straps, vest. 

Hope this helps, I went down the same path not all that long ago myself.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:18 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

A word of caution should you decide to add spurs to your outfit: practice walking and running in them before you have to do it with guns in hand. It's real easy to trip over them if you've never worn them before...

Whaddya talkin about?  You just have trouble 'cuz you have two left feet.:P

2 hours ago, Boothill Bandit, SASS# 48598 said:

Whaddya talkin about?  You just have trouble 'cuz you have two left feet.:P

I didn't trip over my spurs when I crashed and burned at Regional last summer. I am, apparently, just clumsy! :D

2 hours ago, Boothill Bandit, SASS# 48598 said:

His idea of "flash" is a kilt. :lol:

And wait'll you see the new one that Pinto Annie is doing for me! You'll be changin' yer mind about wearin' a kilt! :D

And now, with my apologies, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 7:18 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Don't walk with your toes pointed out

Don't squat with spurs on.  :D

2 hours ago, Grass Range said:

Don't walk with your toes pointed out

Yeah, if you walk like a duck you'd best have small spurs so they're harder to tangle up!

On 1/16/2020 at 8:18 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

And be VERY careful going DOWN steps/stairs.

Archived