SASS Wire Forum

I obviously didn't get the memo

It was only -16F this morning so, I went out to get the mail but, I missed the part where it said that the wind chill was -40F  Holy Crap it was cold.

An Infantry Major that I knew said that when he was on a winter survival course where you slept in an hoochie wrapped in a winter sleeping bag.  He said that you had to sleep on your side, if you slept on your back, your breath froze into ice crystals and fell back onto your face. 

We got caught in a cold snap while on an overnight  Ski-Doo trip one time, when the temperature started dropping real fast.  

When it hit -28, my chum realized we couldn't get back to home base and warmth, he recalled a trapper's shack close by

The cracked wood stove inside the bare wall shack was kept going all night, while we huddled close to it.

We warmed up the chainsaw the next morning and cut some wood to replace what we burned during the night and left the trapper a note of thanks.

Found out later, the temperature that night dropped to -40

Home base, with it's propane lights, wood stoves and oil stove looked pretty good when we pulled in.

Now getting the cars started was another tale in itself, but I will say a Coleman stove shoved under the oil pan for a while sure helped.

You have to dress properly. My time in Marine Corps Cold Weather Center was mostly about 35 below zero. It was nearly as cold one time in Siberia. If you slept with your socks on your toes froze!  :angry: You had to wear goggles to keep your eyes OK.

Later, I raced iceboats. The wind chill at 100 mph is quite "exhilarating". You can't have even 1 milimeter of exposed skin.

Now, I am in Minnesota visiting my son, Dirty Dog Dave 55551, my granddaughter Tsarina 105418 and my grandson Horrible Henry 105419. It's colder here than at home in Farthest North Idaho and I'm an El Rey and no longer bitterly cold tolerant.  :wub:

Even though times change :( I still have to ensconce myself in warm clothing, just more layers now.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

It was only -16F this morning so, I went out to get the mail but, I missed the part where it said that the wind chill was -40F  Holy Crap it was cold.

An Infantry Major that I knew said that when he was on a winter survival course where you slept in an hoochie wrapped in a winter sleeping bag.  He said that you had to sleep on your side, if you slept on your back, your breath froze into ice crystals and fell back onto your face. 

But then if you sleep on your back you freeze your zipper.  I have an uncle that was with the marines in Korea. He said they were all bedded down in their foxholes when the Chinese launched an attack.  He said the lesson he learned that night is that given enough incentetive you can run in a zipped up sleeping bag.

I have slept in a sleeping bag in the snow with the temp. -45 degrees F.  Anyone who spent a winter in Korea in the late '50's should know what I am talking about.  Don't have a clue about what the wind chill was,  at 45 below it doesn't matter much.

Blackfoot

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Is that Celsius or Fahrenheit?  ;)

My son, Big Red, is off to work. Grumbling about frostbite.

He mostly works outside at a grocery store and today the temperature is -30 with a wind, so I guess he has reason.

His car's block heater and battery blanket were plugged in overnight, so he's good to go. 

16 hours ago, Noz said:

But then if you sleep on your back you freeze your zipper.  I have an uncle that was with the marines in Korea. He said they were all bedded down in their foxholes when the Chinese launched an attack.  He said the lesson he learned that night is that given enough incentetive you can run in a zipped up sleeping bag.

Sadly, a number of Marines and Army were caught in their zippered sleeping bags and killed!  Later, some manufacturers modified the zippers so that you pulled the closer clear to the top and over a stop, leaving the zipper closed, but allowing you to open the whole thing just by pushing back the top and bottom of the bag.  This was true of the Woods 3-Star bag I used in hunting.  I always pulled the slide past the stop in case a bear got curious about what/who was in the bag!  (A .44 mangle-em sixgun was kept inside the bag when in bear country!)

...we be expecting a cold snap this weekend...  ...supposed to drop into the low 30's...:huh:

Archived