SASS Wire Forum

Boot slouch

Lawdog Dago Dom

Them boots are a slouchin around my ankles. Tried some boot stiffeners from the shoe store. Didn't work. Pool noodles seem to work in newer boots, but these are well worn. Amazon has doo dads that cure anything, and they have a few thing for sale.

Wondering of there is a cure out there. Can always buy another pair, but these fit really nice. Won't win any style points, but they feel good.

Thank you.

LDD

I got the same problem with a pair I wear all the time. I'd be interested if what everyone says!;)

I don’t think there IS a reasonable and practical fix for that.  I think it has to do with the leather fibers breaking down.  Probably oughtta just bite the bullet and get a new pair.  I’ve had to deal with that, too.

Cat Brules

I find it helpful to store my boots either on their side or upside down (just leave them on a boot dryer).  Let gravity help out.  I've got some old slouchers but by the time they get like that, they are well worn and in need of replacement.  I make bird houses out of them.

Have a harness maker whip you up a boot bridle.  A leather belt worn around the waist, discreetly, under the trousers.  Leather bridles extend down the outside of the leg, under the trousers.  Hooks on the end of the bridles attach to the pull-ons on the top of the boot.

A real "old west" workaround and possibly Classic Cowboy eligible.

2 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Two words . . . . . bell bottoms.:D

Oh God no.

I'm already being accused of being "lost in the 70's" with my fondness for the Farrah hairdo.

If I start wearing bell bottoms . . . ..  oh boy!

Before doing anything I would consult with a local shoe/boot repair shop.  He may be able to do some kind of support stitching that supports and opposes the folds in the leather. 

14 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

I don’t think there IS a reasonable and practical fix for that.  I think it has to do with the leather fibers breaking down.  Probably oughtta just bite the bullet and get a new pair.  I’ve had to deal with that, too.

Cat Brules

I bought two new pair and had a third pair half-soled and re-heeled over the last four months because my best boot friends have gotten worn down.  I still wear them to town to impress the tourists and kid cowboys, but not for long.  They don't support my feet well any more, but Lord, they do look awe-thin-tick. 

22 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Probably oughtta just bite the bullet and get a new pair.  I’ve had to deal with that, too.

Cat Brules

Problem is no one is making the tall stovepipe  "preacher" boots any more.

Archived