SASS Wire Forum

Broken 1897 Magazine

Chicken George*

My boys managed to break their shotgun again. Has anyone seen this happen before? 20200115_155128.thumb.jpg.8881e43a3b1df2c583720c59ace2b349.jpgI emailed Outlaw Gambler and I'm hoping he has what I need. I got the broken threaded piece out. But what is the trick to taking the slide and handle off? Is the piece on the end of the handle just threaded on? Is there a special tool needed? 20200115_164306.thumb.jpg.113823e23f2fa8860100aa017d866019.jpg

Yep, what PD said.   Pad that forearm retainer with leather jaw pads on large pliers, rotate carefully, and you won't need the special spanner wrench that fits around the mag tube (since you already have the action slide off of the mag tube).  The spanner wrench is real handy when you don't want to disassemble the whole front end.

You will benefit from having disassembly instructions.  Marauder's site has them, as one place of a hundred do.

http://marauder.homestead.com/irons.html

Click first link on the page concerning shotguns.

Good luck, GJ

Yeah, I bought a Win97 (yes, a real Winchester) forearm tool from Brownells:wacko: a few years ago.....    Good luck with that.   It just wouldn’t fit(!!!), and (unbelievably) they wouldn’t take it back.  

Cat Brules

When you get it apart, that is a spot that just cries out for some Anti-Seize lube during reassembly.

Good luck, GJ

Archived