Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alpo

Any electricians out there?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

The wires on the switch were probably pushed into holes on the back of the switch instead of curled around the screws and then tightening the screws.

When you replace it, use the screws, not the holes.

 

Duffield

Would you consider repositioning the wires as a first go at the problem?

 

 

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Would you consider repositioning the wires as a first go at the problem?

 

 

 

Given how little a switch costs no.

Switch is already had many many cycles and it is just as much work to move the wires as it is to change the switch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

Given how little a switch costs no.

Switch is already had many many cycles and it is just as much work to move the wires as it is to change the switch.

Agreed, the switch costs next to nothing, but add in an hour and a half and two gallons of gas?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Would you consider repositioning the wires as a first go at the problem?

 

 

I did consider it when I fixed the same problem two days ago.  I have to go to town from time to time anyway, so I picked up a new switch and replaced the old one, which was probably good.  That way I know I won't have to do the same job twice.

 

Duffield

Edited by Duffield, SASS #23454
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please check the GFI first........ You never can tell where someone picked up a hot feed for the lights.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, did you get your light working or are you still SOL? (Sh%* out of light).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I (as my daughter will gladly tell you) am the king of the procrastinators. This switch has been inop for over a year. I just leave the door open so I can find the toilet.

 

And I had assumed that replacing the switch would fix this. Just ain't never got a round tuit.

 

But now I have picked electrical brains, and when I do find my round tuit and get up off my lazy donkey, I will most probably neither electrocute myself nor burn the house down.

 

And I thank any and all that contributed to this thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter moved to Puerto Rico. I packed up her computer, and carried it around in my Bronco for 15 months, before finally getting it to the post office.

 

Beat that.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to replace one or more of the bulbs with fresh ones just to be sure it is the switch, not the bulbs.  If you do replace the switch I would strongly recommend testing the job using actual light bulbs.  Do NOT wet your finger and stick it in the socket! :o:P  Seriously, buy a quality Single Pole-Single Throw (On-OFF) switch, and use the screw terminals.  While the push-in contacts will work, they can, over time be subject to corrosion.  Oh, and another question: If you house is old enough (1970's or even early '80's,) look to see if the wires are copper or aluminum.  If they are aluminum (silver colored) you may want to hire a competent electrician to re-terminate the ends with copper.  At the least, with aluminum wires and copper terminals, coat the bare aluminum with

No-Alox paste! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Alpo said:

I (as my daughter will gladly tell you) am the king of the procrastinators. This switch has been inop for over a year. I just leave the door open so I can find the toilet.

 

And I had assumed that replacing the switch would fix this. Just ain't never got a round tuit.

 

But now I have picked electrical brains, and when I do find my round tuit and get up off my lazy donkey, I will most probably neither electrocute myself nor burn the house down.

 

And I thank any and all that contributed to this thread.

 

I would have responded to this thread earlier, but......

 

2021 could be the year of "The Great Switch Replacement". Why put off til tomorrow what you can put off for a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.