SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alpo

Any electricians out there?

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

The wires on the switch were probably pushed into holes on the back of the switch instead of curled around the screws and then tightening the screws.

When you replace it, use the screws, not the holes.

Duffield

Would you consider repositioning the wires as a first go at the problem?

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

23 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Given how little a switch costs no.

Switch is already had many many cycles and it is just as much work to move the wires as it is to change the switch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Given how little a switch costs no.

Switch is already had many many cycles and it is just as much work to move the wires as it is to change the switch.

Agreed, the switch costs next to nothing, but add in an hour and a half and two gallons of gas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I did consider it when I fixed the same problem two days ago.  I have to go to town from time to time anyway, so I picked up a new switch and replaced the old one, which was probably good.  That way I know I won't have to do the same job twice.

Duffield

Edited by Duffield, SASS #23454
Spelling

Please check the GFI first........ You never can tell where someone picked up a hot feed for the lights.

• Like 1

Well, did you get your light working or are you still SOL? (Sh%* out of light).

I (as my daughter will gladly tell you) am the king of the procrastinators. This switch has been inop for over a year. I just leave the door open so I can find the toilet.

And I had assumed that replacing the switch would fix this. Just ain't never got a round tuit.

But now I have picked electrical brains, and when I do find my round tuit and get up off my lazy donkey, I will most probably neither electrocute myself nor burn the house down.

And I thank any and all that contributed to this thread.

• Like 1

My daughter moved to Puerto Rico. I packed up her computer, and carried it around in my Bronco for 15 months, before finally getting it to the post office.

Beat that.

• Haha 1

You might want to replace one or more of the bulbs with fresh ones just to be sure it is the switch, not the bulbs.  If you do replace the switch I would strongly recommend testing the job using actual light bulbs.  Do NOT wet your finger and stick it in the socket! :o:P  Seriously, buy a quality Single Pole-Single Throw (On-OFF) switch, and use the screw terminals.  While the push-in contacts will work, they can, over time be subject to corrosion.  Oh, and another question: If you house is old enough (1970's or even early '80's,) look to see if the wires are copper or aluminum.  If they are aluminum (silver colored) you may want to hire a competent electrician to re-terminate the ends with copper.  At the least, with aluminum wires and copper terminals, coat the bare aluminum with

No-Alox paste! 

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

I (as my daughter will gladly tell you) am the king of the procrastinators. This switch has been inop for over a year. I just leave the door open so I can find the toilet.

And I had assumed that replacing the switch would fix this. Just ain't never got a round tuit.

But now I have picked electrical brains, and when I do find my round tuit and get up off my lazy donkey, I will most probably neither electrocute myself nor burn the house down.

And I thank any and all that contributed to this thread.

I would have responded to this thread earlier, but......

2021 could be the year of "The Great Switch Replacement". Why put off til tomorrow what you can put off for a week.