SASS Wire Forum

Fancy 'stache?

OK, so who all is sporting a fancy mustache?  In usually have a well trimmed stache.  Every couple of years I shave it all and stay "clean" for a few months and then I let it grow back in.  I refer to this process as "taking inventory", or "proving I can still grow hair when I want too".  This time, instead of keeping things trim, I thought I'd let it go a while.  When it started getting long enough to  brush crumbs off my sandwich, I started using Bossman Mudstache to train it to stay out of my mouth.  Well as you can see, it has progressed a bit farther since then.  I have been figuring things out on my own, as I have never let it grow long enough to need being dealt with before.

I find I struggle to keep it symmetrical.  I play engineer when I aint playing cowboy, and asymmetry is a great design feature in some things, but not on my face.  

So what is the best wax you use?  Any tips on keeping things symmetrical and looking good?

IMG-1483-1.jpg

I could never wear mustache wax. I tried and it drove me nuts. I wore a mustache for a while in the 80’s and then a beard for most of the 90’s into the 00’s. Now I go clean shaven. When I tried the wax, even when I had the beard, one side always stayed higher than the other. Also, waxing the stache didn’t work out well riding a motorcycle so I gave up trying. 

I've worn a beard since I was 20 (71 now) but have always worn it without a mustache, Abe Lincoln style. Or Amish; I've always worn straw hats or Panamas in the good weather and I've been mistaken for Amish countless times accordingly.

Now it's especially handy. Have you noticed that the older we get, the more generic we all look? There are now countless old guys with white beards and mustaches and they are all starting to look alike to me. Without the 'stache, I'm a little easier to recognize, whatever it's worth....

Chili Pepper Kid, where are you?????

On 1/15/2020 at 5:58 PM, punxsutawneypete said:

I've had mine for the last 45 years or so.  It helps with my persona in SASS and the chili cookoffs.  It's a little grayer now but I think without it I wouldn't have any character.

Randy as Punxsutawney Pete.JPG

I think you look like a well known Hollywood actor.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:58 PM, punxsutawneypete said:

I've had mine for the last 45 years or so.  It helps with my persona in SASS and the chili cookoffs.  It's a little grayer now but I think without it I wouldn't have any character.

Randy as Punxsutawney Pete.JPG

SIDE BAR QUESTION..

What cut of beef are you putting in that there chili? :huh:

On 1/15/2020 at 8:36 PM, Dantankerous said:

Chili Pepper Kid, where are you?????

Here I am! I used to do a handlebar 'stache but it didn't go well at work. I made my own wax the same as Blarney Kid. Bees wax and vaseline.

I liked 8 gr. of beeswax to 4 gr. vaseline (another use for my powder scale) . put it in a small jar set that in a double boiler and melted it. Added 3 drops of bay rum fragrance oil and poured it in tins.

The problem I had at work was I wear a surgical mask at times. If I had wax in it the moisture from my breath would make the wax a sticky mess. If I didn't have wax in it then the mask would kind of push the ends in my mouth. I also decided from an infection control stand point it's not good for a health care worker to walk around giving his 'stache a twirl. So now it's a horseshoe 'stache until I retire in a few years..

My 'stache idols are Fence Cutter, Stirrup Trouble, Coon River Kid and Half Fast Len (don't tell Coon or Half Fast I said that there will be no living with them)

cpk.jpg

IMG_0650.JPG

I generally have mine waxed straight out from the corners of my mouth. Every couple of months I hack 1/2" or so off of the ends of it. I use Clubman Wax. Good solid hold and relatively cheap. Too lazy to make my own, and I don't care for the Vaseline part of the homemade stuff either.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, punxsutawneypete said:

It was a good roast, hand cubed.  There is a good chance it was a chuck roast.

Wow!  That's gotta make for some mighty fine chili!:P

On 1/16/2020 at 8:48 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I think you look like a well known Hollywood actor.

Cheech Marin of Cheech and Chong.

On 1/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, punxsutawneypete said:

It was a good roast, hand cubed.  There is a good chance it was a chuck roast.

Not bison?

Archived