SASS Wire Forum

They've gone crazy with this ORGANIC nonsense

Alpo

I'm looking at my new grocery store ad, and they had FRESH CRAVINGS ORGANIC DIP, buy one get one.

I look at that - I'm southern. Dip -- Skoal, Copenhagen - you know --- DIP.

Organic Dip???

Then I look at the picture. On the lid it says QUESO.

Ooohhh. THAT kind of dip.

nevermind.jpg.b49866db9aab52c00cf4f071457a382d.jpg

In farthest North Idaho, organic means expensive, tasteless sh__!!!  :wub:

This implies that there is inorganic dip or other food items. 

Will the next person that sees inorganic food of any sort please post a picture of it for our edification?

Duffield

I have asked my wife to not buy organic food.  I supervised USDA meat and poultry inspectors in packing houses for 12 years before retirement.  The animals that came in for “organic” labeling had a much higher incidence of infections and parasites because they had never been given antibiotics or deworming medications.  I had to condemn a lot more carcasses  from those “organic” lots as unfit for human consumption than from animals that had benefited from modern animal husbandry. I decided I didn’t want to pay more money for the risk of eating meat from a sick animal.  

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I have asked my wife to not buy organic food.  I supervised USDA meat and poultry inspectors in packing houses for 12 years before retirement.  The animals that came in for “organic” labeling had a much higher incidence of infections and parasites because they had never been given antibiotics or deworming medications.  I had to condemn a lot more carcasses  from those “organic” lots as unfit for human consumption than from animals that had benefited from modern animal husbandry. I decided I didn’t want to pay more money for the risk of eating meat from a sick animal.  

Bingo!

This is why I don’t purposely se k out organic meat. 

Here is how I see it. The life span of people has increased by many years these last few decades. All these additives are what I believe is extending life so why should I regress to follow a trend?

"Organic", when used in reference to food, has a tightly defined meaning under USDA rules:

https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/organic/labeling

If non-gmo is important to you, or if you are concerned with food containing a wide spectrum of prohibited substances (see https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=9874504b6f1025eb0e6b67cadf9d3b40&rgn=div6&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7&idno=7#se7.3.205_1602 ) you may be willing to risk other exposures in order to get what you feel safest with.

LL

There is a huge difference in GMO and Transgenic crop varieties.....  The USDA rules prohibit transgenic as being labelled as organic  the last time I looked (it may have changerd) but in reality 99% of the food you eat is "genetically modified" through selective breeding..   Corn, rice, wheat, and most veggies are prime examples unless you only eat that from heirloom varieties.  In essence though, all have been modified in some manner down through the centuries of agriculture.   Corn, cotton, and soybeans are examples of where transgenics techniques were employed to to achieve superior pest control, e.g. Roundup (glyphosate) Ready crops.

9 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

This implies that there is inorganic dip or other food items. 

Will the next person that sees inorganic food of any sort please post a picture of it for our edification?

Duffield

I suppose it could be water glass with sand mixed in.  Yum!!

When I was a boy, all cauliflower, broccoli, etc. had to be  washed in a light bleach solution several times to get rid of the bugs. Almost every apple, peach, apricot, etc. had worms.  :blush:

Only a young, ignorant idiot would want to go back to that.  :angry:

ORGANIC  phoeey!!!!   :wub:

Archived