SASS Wire Forum

Lifetime Ban???

Yul Lose

Alex Cora is the alleged brain behind the Houston Astros/Boston Red Sox cheating scandal. Some are saying that a lifetime ban from baseball is on the table and I agree with it. 

22 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I agree.  

And lift the ban on Rose.

What SDJ said. And strip the World Series title. 

Electronic sign stealing has has a huge impact on a game’s outcome, and is blatant cheating during the game. 

Rose never gambled as a player, and he set records that will stand for eternity. He deserves the HoF, but put an asterisk for his gambling as a manager. 

23 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

What SDJ said. And strip the World Series title. 

Electronic sign stealing has has a huge impact on a game’s outcome, and is blatant cheating during the game. 

Rose never gambled as a player, and he set records that will stand for eternity. He deserves the HoF, but put an asterisk for his gambling as a manager. 

Agree entirely with Charley, SDJ and Yul. The Astros and Red Sox should be stripped of the World Series. Furthermore, they should be banned from post season play for 10 years, players active in the cheating banned for at least one year and a $100,000,000.00 fine imposed on the cheating teams that would be dispersed among the other teams. Any and all electronic devices (cell phones, monitors, etc) should be banned in all team dugouts with the only electronic device allowed being a corded phone.

The cheating in professional sports has gone on for too long. Besides the teams being cheated on, the real losers are the fans who pay their hard earned money to see a fair game.

Stealing signs by the players has been around since the beginning of the game. We had special instructions when I was playing on the latest and best way to do it and the newest ways. Back in those days the punishment was a fastball aimed at your head when you came to bat. You usually got a quiet verbal warning from someone first. If you didn't stop, you just might find your hand under a spiked foot when you dived back to first.

What we didn't have was the electronic of today. Binoculars in the stands, radios in the tunnel and even morris code with flashlights, or simple hand signals were used. I never made it to the majors where it was a way of life. Pitchers cover their mouths now because people with optics can read their lips.

You can't throw at the batter anymore. (And they wear helmets and padding if you do)

You can't come into a base with cleats high. (The idiots slide in head first anymore anyways)

You can't slide wide of a base. 

You can take out a catcher at home.

It is no longer the game I grew up with.

(Sarcasm mode) Let's just put radio receivers in all the players ears and headsets on the coaches and do away with signals all together.

If you’d like an education on the sign stealing that’s been alleged go to YouTube and look at jomboy media’s videos. Early on most people thought he was nuts but as he dug up more dirt his credibility grew and so did MLBs interest in what he uncovered. There sure isn’t much being said by players so it makes me wonder if a lot more teams were doing the same thing. There’s more to come, I’m sure.

9 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

If you’d like an education on the sign stealing that’s been alleged go to YouTube and look at jomboy media’s videos. Early on most people thought he was nuts but as he dug up more dirt his credibility grew and so did MLBs interest in what he uncovered. There sure isn’t much being said by players so it makes me wonder if a lot more teams were doing the same thing. There’s more to come, I’m sure.

Yul

I think you are right, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Pardon the repost, but the game is a central part of my life, and too important to let pass without comment:

Look at the disparity between Astros home and away batting averages in the 2017 World Series.

Jose Altuve:
Home: .472 BA/.513 OBP/1.028 SLG/1.541 OPS, 17 H, 6 HR & 12 RBI

Away: .143 BA, .268 OBP, .229 SLG, .497 OPS, 5 H, 1 HR & 2 RBI

Carlos Correa:
Home: .371 BA/.421 OBP/.743 SLG/1.164 OPS, 13 H, 3 HR & 10 RBI

Away: .211 BA/.231 OBP/.395 SLG/.626 OPS, 8 H, 2 HR & 4 RBI.

Brian McCann:
Home: .300 BA/.382 OBP/.467 SLG/.849 OPS, 9 H, 1 HR & 7 RBI

Away: .037 BA/.161 OBP/.037 SLG/.198 OPS, 1 H, 0 HR & 0 RBI

More pernicious than even the steroid scandal, and it unfairly punishes teams and players who chose not to cheat.

Cheers,

FJT

42 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

FJT,

Do I interpret correctly that the Astros had a huge boost in batting when playing within their rigged home field?

If the batters knew about the cheating, they should get hammered too. 

From what I’ve read and heard the players were heavily involved, in the know, whatever. An ex Astros pitcher, Mike Fiers came forward with what he knew about it and detailed it pretty good. It looks like the whole team knew about what was going on and the manager and front office didn’t do anything to stop it. In September of 2017 a warning came out from MLB and 6 days later the Astros started up the same sign stealing operation again. There’s going to be a whole bunch more come out on this in the not to distant future. The new manager of the NY Mets was a player at the time and he was one of the guys beating on the trash can with a bat to signal what pitch was going to be thrown. How can he still have a job?

1 hour ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

Pardon the repost, but the game is a central part of my life, and too important to let pass without comment:

Look at the disparity between Astros home and away batting averages in the 2017 World Series.

Jose Altuve:
Home: .472 BA/.513 OBP/1.028 SLG/1.541 OPS, 17 H, 6 HR & 12 RBI

Away: .143 BA, .268 OBP, .229 SLG, .497 OPS, 5 H, 1 HR & 2 RBI

Carlos Correa:
Home: .371 BA/.421 OBP/.743 SLG/1.164 OPS, 13 H, 3 HR & 10 RBI

Away: .211 BA/.231 OBP/.395 SLG/.626 OPS, 8 H, 2 HR & 4 RBI.

Brian McCann:
Home: .300 BA/.382 OBP/.467 SLG/.849 OPS, 9 H, 1 HR & 7 RBI

Away: .037 BA/.161 OBP/.037 SLG/.198 OPS, 1 H, 0 HR & 0 RBI

More pernicious than even the steroid scandal, and it unfairly punishes teams and players who chose not to cheat.

Cheers,

FJT

That is true FJT, it could unfairly punish the teams/players who chose not to cheat. However, if they knew that the cheating was occuring and didn't speak out about it, it's the same as aiding and abetting. 

There’s no crying or CHEATING in baseball! I agree with a lifetime ban on all of the involved! Cora wasn’t that hot of a player either, lifetime .240 hitter.

This isn't something that's new. Sign stealing has always happened since baseball started. But the rule has always been that stealing signs is fine until the use of technology comes into play. In the 80's, for example, the White Sox started using a light on the score board to signal a fast ball and off for a breaking pitch. Of course they weren't very smart about it, especially when the home away splits were polar opposites.

I played a lot of baseball from little league, high school, American Legion, college, service and semi pro. I was a catcher and was involved with all the signs to the pitcher to call the pitches that were thrown. I was taught at a young age to give 2 or more signs to the pitcher (usually 3 or 4) and give a sign to the pitcher to indicate which sign was "live" to determined what the actual pitch would be. The live pitch sign could be changed on every batter. We did this to keep the base coaches and any base runners from "stealing " the pitch. We also changed signs several times during a game. I know they still do it today. Hard for me to see how they could steal many signs given by a catcher using this system.

I expect that you will see more attention given to this fundamental aspect of the game, in the future.  In the meantime, we would usually go out with two-three sets of signs per game.  When you have a room full of folks whose job is to decrypt those signals via live video streams, it wouldn't take too long to crack that code.

Of course, signalling for Uncle Charley, and then firing a smoking fastball up and in, now and again. will usually keep even the best-informed and intrepid batter on his toes....

Cheers

FJT, leading the league in HBP.

25 minutes ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

I expect that you will see more attention given to this fundamental aspect of the game, in the future.  In the meantime, we would usually go out with two-three sets of signs per game.  When you have a room full of folks whose job is to decrypt those signals via live video streams, it wouldn't take too long to crack that code.

Of course, signalling for Uncle Charley, and then firing a smoking fastball up and in, now and again. will usually keep even the best-informed and intrepid batter on his toes....

Cheers

FJT, leading the league in HBP.

When I pitched in high school, I hit a close friend three times in one game. He thought I did it on purpose, I didn't. It was not a good day pitching if I remember right.

14 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yep, I wondered how he got the Mets gig when he was one of the main players.

12 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yep, just saw that he was out as manager of the Mets. If they suspended all of the players from Boston and Houston that were involved, they both would have mostly new players except for the pitchers.:blink:

17 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Yep, just saw that he was out as manager of the Mets. If they suspended all of the players from Boston and Houston that were involved, they both would have mostly new players except for the pitchers.:blink:

I’m hearing from a local source that used to play pro baseball that MLB is talking about vacating the Astros 2017 World Series win. He frequents a coffee shop out here and while I was waiting for my order I heard him telling a couple of other guys about it. I know college championships have been vacated in the past but I don’t know if a pro sports championship has been vacated.

2 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I played a lot of baseball from little league, high school, American Legion, college, service and semi pro. I was a catcher and was involved with all the signs to the pitcher to call the pitches that were thrown. I was taught at a young age to give 2 or more signs to the pitcher (usually 3 or 4) and give a sign to the pitcher to indicate which sign was "live" to determined what the actual pitch would be. The live pitch sign could be changed on every batter. We did this to keep the base coaches and any base runners from "stealing " the pitch. We also changed signs several times during a game. I know they still do it today. Hard for me to see how they could steal many signs given by a catcher using this system.

The Astros had it figured out and maybe the Red Sox too.

37 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I don't think they can suspend the players. They would have to go through the union first and they'll never allow that. But managers and executives are fair game. It's too bad football doesn't come down on teams that cheat as harshly. History of the Patriots might be a lot different

53 minutes ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

If that's true, it is indeed Black Sox time and I HAD always respected Altuve. The Astros may be a new team this season but only because the old team is all disgraced and suspended or banned.

21 minutes ago, cajun bandit said:

not saying what they did is right,but stealing signals has been a part of baseball  for a very long time

True, but not like this and if the allegations that just came to light recently prove to be true, this thing is far from over. 

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

True, but not like this and if the allegations that just came to light recently prove to be true, this thing is far from over. 

Exactly. This might actually end up costing some of the players some money and/or time. It's one thing to use trash cans to relay stolen signs, since the signs were stolen from non-players, but to use electronics as players to relay the signs will definitely be considered going too far.

28 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Exactly. This might actually end up costing some of the players some money and/or time. It's one thing to use trash cans to relay stolen signs, since the signs were stolen from non-players, but to use electronics as players to relay the signs will definitely be considered going too far.

I agree,but none of the electronic stuff has been proven

15 minutes ago, cajun bandit said:

what team will gain the most from this BS,    THE NEW YORK YANKEES

So cheating is BS in your opinion?

Archived