SASS Wire Forum

Carbon removal on stainless single six

Go West

Wifey got a pair of stainless single sixes in .32 mag and they are a bear to clean. Carbon really sticks to the outside of the cylinders and is a problem more on these than other calibers, even the blued guns. I don't recall my .44 mags having this issue. What do you use to clean them? I have a number of different products and only a few do the job and that is with considerable scrubbing.

Not really concerned with carbon rings, it's the sides of the cylinder that are baked on with carbon. It takes considerable scrubbing with two products I have, I'm curious if something is out there that is easier to clean them with.

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Try

https://www.amazon.com/Kleenbore-Gun-Care-Lead-Cloth/dp/B07YG8WWR9

Works great on my SS Vaquero cylinders.

LL

This, just don't use it on blued guns, will remove bluing.

I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner at an estate sale.  I does a wonderful job on stainless cylinders.  Just make sure you get the correct cylinder back in each revolver.  I tie a piece of string through one to make sure I don't mix them up 

3 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I picked up an ultrasonic cleaner at an estate sale.  I does a wonderful job on stainless cylinders.  Just make sure you get the correct cylinder back in each revolver.  I tie a piece of string through one to make sure I don't mix them up 

Really?  I've cleaned my Vaqueros hundreds of times, and never given any thought to which cylinder came from which gun; what's the issue?

LL

10 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

MONGO,

on the front of each cylinder should be 2 or 3 digits.  These digits should match the last digits

of the serial number on each pistol.

..........Widder

Yep Widder, I also check for the engraved numbers on the face of the cylinders.  The string just helps me remember (kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders).  

Loophole,  many Ruger cylinders will interchange from gun to gun, but I have had pairs where that is not the case.  This is especially true if they have had any "after-market" modification like tuning or short-stroking. 

I’ve never worried much about carbon rings in the front of the cylinder of a revolver.  A couple of years ago I bought some Ballistol to use in cleaning my (stainless) New Vaqueros after shooting cartridges charged with Goex.  I pulled the cylinders, sprayed the revolvers with Ballistol, let them sit a few hours, then wiped them down and swabbed the bores and chambers.  I was amazed to find that the Ballistol had dissolved the long accumulated carbon rings. You might give Ballistol a try.

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Try

https://www.amazon.com/Kleenbore-Gun-Care-Lead-Cloth/dp/B07YG8WWR9

Works great on my SS Vaquero cylinders.

LL

Wow, never thought to try this on the carbon rings on stainless cylinders.  I always keep it in my cleaning kit.  Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try.

Carbon buildup gets scrubbed off with copper brushes (the double sided ones everyone who's cleaned an M-16 for Uncle Sugar uses) and if its still stubborn I do my worst Doc Holliday impression with a set of dental tools.

Carbon buildup on revolvers pales in comparison to things like M-249 SAW pistons, used Iraqi AK-47 piston heads, or the bolt face of an Uzi after 1k rounds.

Every once in a while, after cleaning the stainless cylinders with Ballistol, I soak them overnight in a 50/50 solution of peroxide and white vinegar. They come out like new the next day

3 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

I’ve never worried much about carbon rings in the front of the cylinder of a revolver.  A couple of years ago I bought some Ballistol to use in cleaning my (stainless) New Vaqueros after shooting cartridges charged with Goex.  I pulled the cylinders, sprayed the revolvers with Ballistol, let them sit a few hours, then wiped them down and swabbed the bores and chambers.  I was amazed to find that the Ballistol had dissolved the long accumulated carbon rings. You might give Ballistol a try.

I would suggest it was probably the BP that had more to do with removing crud from the cylinders.  After shooting BP & subs for many years I've concluded that SS guns clean up nicely with H2O.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:30 AM, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

After you get the carbon build-up off, look carefully at the front of the cylinders.  Many have the last three digits of receiver SN roughly engraved into the cylinder end.  They have to be very clean for the marks to show up. 

Added:  And I just checked.  My new Vaqueros also have the SN etched into the cylinder fronts.  

20200115_125901.jpg

Howdy

I never try to remove the carbon rings blasted onto the front of the cylinder of a revolver.

They are there on a blued cylinder, but more noticeable on a stainless cylinder.

I stopped trying to clean them off long ago. No matter what you do, they will just return the next time you shoot the revolver.

I always say that once you have enough revolvers you will stop worrying about the carbon rings on the face of the cylinder.

M-Pro 7 gun cleaner and a brush takes the ring off easily on our Vaqueros, just be careful on blued ones.

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Really?  I've cleaned my Vaqueros hundreds of times, and never given any thought to which cylinder came from which gun; what's the issue?

LL

Has to deal with chamber to bbl alignment and the cyl index timing.

OLG 

This may sound funny, but I found the best way to clean smokeless fouling on my stainless guns is to shoot a match with APP. I was amazed how easily all of the crud came off with the standard 20% ballistol/water solution.

After a few matches with smokeless, I'll just shoot one match with APP, and they easily clean up like new.

#2 Pencil Eraser works great .

Just Sayin. 

Rooster 

On 1/15/2020 at 5:46 PM, C.N. Double said:

This may sound funny, but I found the best way to clean smokeless fouling on my stainless guns is to shoot a match with APP. I was amazed how easily all of the crud came off with the standard 20% ballistol/water solution.

After a few matches with smokeless, I'll just shoot one match with APP, and they easily clean up like new.

Howdy Again

Shooting with cartridges loaded with real Black Powder will do the same thing.

I don't know why, but there is never any carbon deposited on the cylinder faces of a revolver that has been fired with Black Powder.

No leading either.

I suspect it may have to do with the higher temperature BP burns at, but I have no proof of that.

Except for the fact that there is never any leading or carbon rings on my revolvers shot with Black Powder cartridges.

Well heck Driftwood.  None of my Cap Guns have a "Carbon Ring" on the Cylinder Face, same same my Suppository Shooters.  As mentioned above, APP.  APP is my "Go-Too" and it has also removed the "Ring Around the Chamber" from the guns I once used with smokeless stuff.  

I also don't have a clue "WHY."  Just .... BECAUSE ???

Archived