SASS Wire Forum

Registered mail

Rye Miles #13621

I'm about to send a sizeable amount to a pard here for something I bought, should I send it registered mail? It requires a signature from the recipient. Is it worth it. It's like $3.50 or so......I'm sending a personal check.

Just wanted a few thoughts

Thanks, Rye 

Domestic Registered mail is signed for each time it changes hands.  There is a paper trail of its progress through the system.  Another choice is certified with return receipt addressee signature only delivery.  It is not as secure, because it is run through the regular mail stream.  AND with the huge number of temporary , non-career employees now at the Postal Service who are poorly trained, ya never know.....

16 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Domestic Registered mail is signed for each time it changes hands.  There is a paper trail of its progress through the system.  Another choice is certified with return receipt addressee signature only delivery.  It is not as secure, because it is run through the regular mail stream.  AND with the huge number of temporary , non-career employees now at the Postal Service who are poorly trained, ya never know.....

So which would you do? Or should I just send it regular mail?

I've sent checks through regular mail before with no problem but I'm just curious about "registered mail"-_-

For a check of any sizable amount, I always use registered mail. I notify the person first so there are no surprises and to insure that the address provided has a person there during mail delivery. If they are not present, I think the USPS makes another attempt at delivery and if still no one there to sign then they have to go to the post office to sign. In some locations, as you know, the trip to the post office could be a pain in the rear to sign for delivery.

It's really just a layer of protection for you, the payer, to serve as a paper trail. That way the payee can't say "I never received the check" and the post office can't deny it if the check gets "lost".

I also use registered mail when I mail my check for my CWP for the same reasons.

@Rye Miles #13621,

If it's of importance to you that the receipient sign for it, I always sent it by Certified Return Receipt addressee signature only.

However, if this were 1873 the preferred method would be:

Pony Express

Registered mail is safest, you can also get a return receipt for that. That allows you to have proof of the delivery. In theory only the addressee can sign for Registered mail ( I was a Letter Carrier for 35 years and as I said above too many poorly trained non career employees now) so it is the safest way more so than certified mail. The thing about Registered mail is there is a chain of custody that is admissible if ever needed in court.  Not to say it would be in this instance, but for the general knowledge using registered mail is about as secure a way to move anything you can not hand over in person.  I used to delver a business route that had jewelry stores and attorney offices and I had to sign registered out from the secure cage all the time and sometimes having a million dollars worth of gem stones in my pouch was a little unnerving. Especially should I have lost it, I had to pay for it.  Tends to make one very very careful.

16 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Rye Miles #13621,

If it's of importance to you that the receipient sign for it, I always sent it by Certified Return Receipt addressee signature only.

However, if this were 1873 the preferred method would be:

Pony Express

Pony express operated from April 3, 1860, to October 1861

23 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Pony express operated from April 3, 1860, to October 1861

Marshal:

Some additional history:

Wells Fargo Pony Express

From 1866 until 1889, the Pony Express logo was used by stagecoach and freight company Wells Fargo. ;)

Pony_Express_Map_William_Henry_Jackson

Wells Fargo assumed control of the Pony Express between Sacramento and Salt Lake City,

which meant that Rye could not have used it anyway. :P

Beyond registered mail, consider using a Postal Money Order as well.

If you send it and it is cashed, then you do not receive the items paid for, it is mail fraud and the US Postal service will get involved.

You either get the item or your get your money back in 90 to 120 days.

The other end has legal problems if they cash and do not deliver iitem.

Get a PO Box and never go to it when the window is open. No signature and the mail goes back!!!   :rolleyes:

I just when thru the same process. I sent a USPS money order to an individual. I sent it first class, certified (recipient required to sign for letter). This allows you to track the letter thru the delivery.  I am glad I did as it was mailed on the 3rd and did not reach its destination until 13th.  It was posted on the east coast and sent to Texas,  I thought it got lost, I took so long.  Was glad I was able to track it in case I had to file a claim. Fortunately it arrived to the seller.

I used certified mail for checks. Registered mail they claim, has a trail of signatures. Maybe for the post office but not for the mailer. 

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm about to send a sizeable amount to a pard here for something I bought, should I send it registered mail? It requires a signature from the recipient. Is it worth it. It's like $3.50 or so......I'm sending a personal check.

Thanks, Rye 

Unless it's 5 digit or more I would send priority with tracking number or certified.

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thanks, Rye 

My answer is YES.

Your personal check gets lost in the mail or mis-delivered and you are SOL.  Even if you attempt a stop payment it is highly probable that the bank will cash it anyways. 

I do know that if it is a USPS MO and it gets lost; it will take at least 60 days to get a refund from the USPS.

BTW the original letter was finally returned as undeliverable a few days after they refunded the money.

Send it USPS Second Day Priority Mail.... the cardboard envelope.  I THINK you can pay extra to get a signature from the recipient.  Don’t overthink it.

Cat Brules

12 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Registered mail is overkill for a check. Registered is more for valuables, such as rare coins, jewelry, even cash. You want certified mail.

This is what I was going to say. Registered is really for something of intrinsic value. A check really has no intrinsic value. If you want some level of security send the funds with Postal Money Order and Certified with Return receipt. I have bought things on the SASS classified from a few dollars to 2800. Under 750 I would use the Money Order above that I would use a cashiers check. 

Well after talking to the guy I'm sending the check to we both decided I'll just send it REGULAR mail. I've done it before and if it doesn't get there in 4-5 days (OHIO to W.Virgina) I'll stop payment on the check and then consider registered mail.

Thanks for all your responses though! Much obliged.

Seriously......don’t lose any sleep over it.  USPS 2nd Day Priority Mail or USPS regular mail (as you did) is the way.  

Cat  Brules

What wasn’t discussed is how to pay.

Personally I would go to my bank and get a cashiers check payable to the seller. In the notes section on the check I would say what the payment is for.   In case you have a problem seller who does not send you what you paid for, at least you have proof that he cashed your bank’s check.  

The Second Day Priority Mail can be “signature required“ for a small extra fee. That’s how you really should do it. But some may call that an over abundance of caution. Sending  payment by personal check via regular mail, which is what you did, will probably work just fine. 

However, my faith in dealing with SASS Classifieds sellers was recently severely tested twice, in quick succession.  First, I found I was dealing with a guy who switched out part of a lower value item.  The second one (for a considerable sum), I learned just in time, is a belly-crawling, untrustworthy liar.  Now, THOSE TWO were a first, after all these years!  So, be careful.

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

What wasn’t discussed is how to pay.

Personally I would go to my bank and get a cashiers check payable to the seller. In the notes section on the check I would say what the payment is for.   In case you have a problem seller who does not send you what you paid for, at least you have proof that he cashed your bank’s check.  

The Second Day Priority Mail can be “signature required“ for a small extra fee. That’s how you really should do it. But some may call that an over abundance of caution. Sending  payment by personal check via regular mail, which is what you did, will probably work just fine. 

However, my faith in dealing with SASS Classifieds sellers was recently severely tested twice, in quick succession.  First, I found I was dealing with a guy who switched out part of a lower value item.  The second one (for a considerable sum), I learned just in time, is a belly-crawling, untrustworthy liar.  Now, THOSE TWO were a first, after all these years!  So, be careful.

The guy I'm dealing with is trusting me to send a personal check. I offered to send a money order or bank check but he said "No don't bother just send me a personal check" !!

I almost always send payment next day guaranteed. It costs $20 and is guaranteed to get the within 24 hours. On at leas 4 occasions, it got there after 24 hours (around 25-27ish each time) and I got my $20 back, plus payment got there really fast. I personally hate waiting for something to come to me, and I assume other folks do as well so I rush it. And hey, it's paid off already a few times.

Archived