SASS Wire Forum

Which type of bullet, RNFP or TCFP

Tex Wilson

Not all RNFP are shaped the same.  Bear Creek has a 125 RNFP pictured above that feed reliably in all six of our 73s.  Other 125s are more flat on the nose and keep their diameter longer.  Bear Creek has a flat point diameter of .207 and overall length of .549 where another brand had a flat pt of .269 and length of .517.  We currently shoot Cimarron 105 TCFP and BearCreek 125s for knockdowns.  Shoot what works best in your rifle.  It only has to feed reliably and go ding.  It is the ding part I am struggling with.  I know, use your sights!!!!!

On 1/15/2020 at 4:48 PM, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Right now I am shooting 125 gr. RNFP in both my pistols and my rifle with no problems. I'm going to get a box of TCFP to try out in the rifle. The RNFP cartridge is 1.485" OAL, whereas the TCFP cartridge I'm going to try is 1.575" OAL.  I know the TCFP will run fine in my Vaqueros, but I want to run the longer TCFP cartridge in my Henry to see if it will run with no problems.

Well I tried the box of TCFP cartridges in my Henry Rifle this past weekend and found I could only load 9 instead of 10 because the OAL was too long. They ran just fine in my Vaqueros, so now I will shoot the 125 grain RNFP cartridges in both my pistols and my rifle. Thanks to all who posted their opinions to my OP. Since I don't reload, I am purchasing my cartridges from Choice Ammunition in Montana. I like their product and although it costs more to shoot their cartridges they run just fine in my guns with no problems. They use new brass, coated bullets and Federal Primers and are a SASS vendor.

10 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Well I tried the box of TCFP cartridges in my Henry Rifle this past weekend and found I could only load 9 instead of 10 because the OAL was too long. They ran just fine in my Vaqueros, so now I will shoot the 125 grain RNFP cartridges in both my pistols and my rifle. Thanks to all who posted their opinions to my OP. Since I don't reload, I am purchasing my cartridges from Choice Ammunition in Montana. I like their product and although it costs more to shoot their cartridges they run just fine in my guns with no problems. They use new brass, coated bullets and Federal Primers and are a SASS vendor.

Sorry if I missed it, but do you know the OAL on those?

RNFP 1.485 OAL     TCFP 1.575 OAL

Archived