SASS Wire Forum

How to make perked coffee

Alpo

Think I have had some of his coffee      He is working local truck stop       GW

Saw that movie years ago, and the thing that really stuck in my head was -- why would your average bachelor have a bowl full of yeast in his refrigerator?

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Saw that movie years ago, and the thing that really stuck in my head was -- why would your average bachelor have a bowl full of yeast in his refrigerator?

Because he likes bread, pancakes, and waffles. 

First, that waffle recipe did not call for yeast.

Second, it DID call for baking powder.

Third, she dumped about half a can of Calumet into the waffle mix (4:23).

I had to go verify what I was thinking - that what she was doing with that coffee pot was wrong.

You put the water in the bottom and the coffee in the top.

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And baking powder hadn’t been invented yet

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

First, that waffle recipe did not call for yeast.

Second, it DID call for baking powder.

Third, she dumped about half a can of Calumet into the waffle mix (4:23).

Baking powder came in in the 1930s.  Movie was set, I think, in the late 1940s.  But many would still have been using yeast from habit. And I find yeast raised pancakes and waffles better tasting than those with chemical leavening.

Baking powder was invented in the 1840s. Double acting baking powder (whatever the heck that is) came in in the 1860s. And Calumet was first made in the 1890s.

So says the internet.

If you make your pancakes with yeast, do you have to start about 4 a.m., so that you can cook them at 6 a.m.?

14 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I made coffee once like Cary's when I was in Viet Nam. Sgt Maj Tatti did not think much of it. Tried to tell him before I started, I didn't know how to make coffee.

My first Navy Squadron I was the day check duty driver. First thing every morning I was to make coffee for the wardroom. Perk pot so it has to be made by 0715 so that it is done by the 0800 AOC. Clear directions on the wall. Fill the pot with water to the top line and add X scoops of coffee to the basket. No running water in the wardroom. You filled the coffee pot down the hall and around the corner. One day I was out sick so the guy that took my place for the day had to make coffee. It was his 4th day in the squadron and he didn't fully have the locations of everything down. New time was short and not knowing where the deep sink was, he opens the refrigerator and sees three pitchers . Samples one and it is water so he pours it into the pot. Needs more so he grabs the second one and looks inside looks like tea so he puts it back. Looks in third and the contents are clear so he finished filling the coffee pot with it.

Plugs in the pot and leaves with the two empty pitchers in search of a place to fill them. Finds the deep sink, fills them with water and puts them back into the fridge. Heads to the duty office and awaits his next assignment.

About 0758 the skipper is having a fit wanting to know who made the %$$#@# coffee. Turns out the second pitcher was lemonade and not water. :o

When I get released for duty three days later, I discover there is a new sign in the wardroom for making coffee that includes detailed directions on where to get the water.  

On 1/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, Alpo said:

From Walk Don't Run, 1964

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVRKOrqh2w

A buddy of mine actually did that once. When he was a kid his mother went out of town, and that morning his dad told him to go make him some coffee. They had a Mr. Coffee drip or some such. Not knowing how much coffee to use he filled the filter to the top. His dad came in and said "Damn that coffee smells strong!" The first sip he spewed all over the kitchen.

JHC:lol:

On 1/15/2020 at 8:59 AM, Alpo said:

If you make your pancakes with yeast, do you have to start about 4 a.m., so that you can cook them at 6 a.m.?

Don't know about yeast-raised, but I started my sourdough pancake batter the night before.

My parents used a percolator, but I never learned.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:59 AM, Alpo said:

I usually make the batter about 9 p.m. so I can cook them the next morning.  I have done it with a shorter rise - make the batter at about 5 a.m. to cook at about 9 a.m.

Archived