SASS Wire Forum

colder than....

I am visiting my son, Dirty Dog Dave 55551, my granddaughter, Tsarina 105418 and my grandson, Horrible Henry 105419 in Minnesota. You can't call me a "Snowbird" because it's colder here than at home in farthest North Idaho.  :rolleyes:

At least you know what your weather will be. last Friday 70s turned to thunder storms then tornadoes next morning we got snow. Less than 24 hours that much change. today 60s rain predicted for Friday another cold front. All that and I say you can keep those negative temps:P

Around 1970, I went to a drive-in theater and the wind chill was -60 F! The wind was blowing so hard that it would have blown out a match inside the car! Even with the motor running, the inside of the car was still cold. My GF and I were wrapped up in a sleeping bag to keep warm. There were three other cars present. The concession stand was offering free coffee or hot chocolate to anyone that would come in. I did not see anyone take them up on their offer.

It was a double feature (can't remember what the movies were) and we did not make it through the second one!:wacko:

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Around 1970, I went to a drive-in theater and the wind chill was -60 F! The wind was blowing so hard that it would have blown out a match inside the car! Even with the motor running, the inside of the car was still cold. My GF and I were wrapped up in a sleeping bag to keep warm. There were three other cars present. The concession stand was offering free coffee or hot chocolate to anyone that would come in. I did not see anyone take them up on their offer.

It was a double feature (can't remember what the movies were) and we did not make it through the second one!:wacko:

Yeah....right.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

The wind chill  forecast for Calgary today is -58F, yes that's minus 58F

Got down to -56 in northern Utah when I was still in high school.  I never thought anyplace could be that cold.  Guess I was wrong.  :o

That calls for four bearskins in front of a fireplace:  A bear skin on the bottom and a bear skin on top and two bare skins in the middle.  :P

BTW, if you like to lay nekkid in front of a roaring fireplace be very careful. Last time I did that I got thrown out of Cracker Barrel forever!  :D

The coldest I have ever been was in Biddeford Maine in February. I was doing some work on a MERC plant installing conveyor systems. They burned garbage to generate electricity at this plant. We had to work inside and outside. It was 0 degrees and the wind was blowing hard. I spit on the sidewalk, the wind took it and it bounced. My spit froze before it hit the ground. 

That was COLD!

I did spend a winter at Great Lakes Naval base outside Chicago. You haven’t lived until you mustered at 06:00 hours outdoors on a grinder to hear some pinheaded Ensign read you the Plan of the Day when it’s 10 degrees outside with a wind chill factor of 20 below.  
The most glorious thing happened. A staff car rolling by stopped the street and a Captain stormed out of the vehicle and dressed down that moronic Ensign in front of all of us for having us mustered outside in that bitter cold. It warmed the cockles of my heart...

Hey Alpo, what’s a “cockle”? 

A cockle is a bivalve; its shape resembles a ventricle;  

The term comes from the Latin for the heart’s ventricles, cochleas cordis, and has been used figuratively since the late seventeenth century.  

Google is our friend....

LL

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

A cockle is a bivalve; its shape resembles a ventricle;  

The term comes from the Latin for the heart’s ventricles, cochleas cordis, and has been used figuratively since the late seventeenth century.  

Google is our friend....

LL

Thanks Loophole :lol:

In Dublin's fair city, where the girls are so pretty

I first set my ME eyes on Miss Molly Malone

As she wheeled her wheelbarrow,

Through streets broad and narrow,

Singin', "cockles and mussles, alive, alive-o"

Alive, alive-o-o. Alive, alive-o-o

Singin', "cockles and mussels, alive alive-o"

I didna ken it were possible to not know of Molly Malone

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My spit froze before it hit the ground. 

That was COLD!

According to Jack London, in TO BUILD A FIRE, that meant it was at least 50 Below.

In January 1978, I was talked into flying with a friend of mine to Buffalo, NY to pick a van and drive it back to Florida sharing driving time. He told me it would be cold so me being a Florida boy, packed/wore my "warmest" clothes that I had. Blue jeans, t-shirts, a sweatshirt, tube socks and a old Army field jacket (no liner). Got on the airplane in Tampa with it being about 70F. When we got to Buffalo, I looked out of the window as we were on the way to the terminal....you really couldn't see much for all of the blowing snow. I expected that it would be like Tampa but nooooo. There was no "hose" that connected up to the airplane so you could depart right into the airport. It parked about 150 yards from the door to the terminal. The walk to the terminal was the coldest I've ever been. Found out later that the wind chill was about -50F. It was supposedly the second worst blizzard in Buffalo history.

When we got to his parents house, they provided me with real winter clothes and the rest of the stay was uneventful except for the attempt at the drive back to Florida. When we left to come back, the snow wasn't blowing anymore but it was real, real cold. We left about 3 am to come back but about 5 miles away from his parents house, the van suddenly veered right into a snowbank. We weren't hurt in anyway but the right rear axle had broken loose somehow and came out like a tetherball pole. He said, "We'll have to walk back". I said "No way in hell am I doing that", "I'll stay with the van with the heat on". By a stoke of luck, a tow truck drove up and stopped. It was an old friend of his. He took us back to his parents house and I flew out 2 days later as the van was still not ready.

A funny or not so funny side note to my trip. He told me about Buffalo wings. I'd never had them so we went into town and had them. I'd never had anything like that in Florida and thought they were great along with the Genesee Cream Ale. He said "We ought to open up a Wing place in Clearwater, Florida where we both lived. I replied that although they were good, the "good ol boys" would never go for something like that. Never did attempt to start a Wing place. Four years later in 1982, someone else did open a Wing place and called it Hooters......the rest is history. Damn, we could have been rich...oh well.:(

11 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

In January 1978, I was talked into flying with a friend of mine to Buffalo, NY to pick a van and drive it back to Florida sharing driving time.

im pretty **** sure it was ‘77

actually 77 was the storm of the century, but any year would be crazy to a Floridian.

In February of 3 I had to go to New Jersey for a week. Flew up there in jeans, a t-shirt, an A2 flight jacket and a baseball cap.

Got off the plane, walked through the tunnel, got my suitcase, went to the rental car place and picked up my keys and paperwork. Went over to the door, opened the door, shut the door, and knelt down in the middle of the corridor, opened my suitcase and started taking out more clothes. Thermal shirt over my t-shirt, flannel shirt over the thermal shirt, put away the ball cap and take out a watch cap. And people walking by kept smiling at me. Some of them laughed out loud.

It was cold up there, and it had all that damn cold wet white stuff all over the place.

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

im pretty **** sure it was ‘77

actually 77 was the storm of the century, but any year would be crazy to a Floridian.

Yeah, the storm of the century was in 1977. According to the Buffaloians (don't know if that is a real word) 1978 was the second worst. All I know is, been there/done that/ain't gonna do it again.

-86 in North Western Alberta some years back ,,,,, It gets colder there than it does at the Pole ....

Higher elevation .....

Jabez Cowboy

Well the coldest I ever was in JULY! was when I went to Giant's baseball game in old Candlestick park in San Fransisco.  Had on bvds, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, jeans, jacket and had a blanket over me AND WAS STILL COLD!

Just now, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

Well the coldest I ever was in JULY! was when I went to Giant's baseball game in old Candlestick park in San Fransisco.  Had on bvds, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, jeans, long sleeved sweatshirt, jacket and had a blanket over me AND WAS STILL COLD!

48 minutes ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

Well the coldest I ever was in JULY! was when I went to Giant's baseball game in old Candlestick park in San Fransisco.  Had on bvds, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, jeans, jacket and had a blanket over me AND WAS STILL COLD!

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". Attributed to Mark Twain.

Archived