SASS Wire Forum

Untuning a Taylor Tuned

Cibola Al

A friend of mine purchased a Taylor Tuned 1873 revolver (not sure how long ago) and is unhappy with how light the trigger pull is. In his words "I just look at the thing and it goes off".

Is there a simple fix? I haven't looked at the gun yet, so I'm not sure if it is a pre safety Uberti or what. I am hoping replacement parts might be available from VTI, or should he just bite the bullet and send it back to Taylor's and Co?

Possibly adding some mainspring pressure may help.   Stock mainspring should be readily available,       GW

Taylor Tuning:

• Hand-tuned and polished by expert gunsmiths
  • Lightened hammer and trigger pull with custom springs

Possibilities where things went wrong with the too light trigger pull...

1) Trigger spring is too light.  Replace with a Wolff trigger spring

or

2) Too much metal was removed from trigger sear, or polished to a wrong angle.  Replace Trigger.

It could be one or both.

If it is a new gun, send it back to Taylors to fix under warranty for free.

Unless some kitchen table gunsmith tried working on the sear notch in the hammer or trigger sear. In that case you may need to get a new hammer or trigger.

A light trigger is often due to the trigger tip and hammer notch being honed to a neutral or negative angle (so that as the trigger tip slides off the notch, the hammer creeps forward slightly.   Hammer should very slightly cam backwards as trigger is pulled.  That is so the cocked gun won't fire just by being bumped or handled.

That fix is easy if enough metal remains.   Resetting trigger angle and engagement depth is a very easy fix for good gunsmiths.   But, sometimes too much metal was removed by the Taylor tuning, and a new trigger has to be fitted.   See any good gunsmith that works on Single Actions.

Good luck, GJ

None of the above .... except .... PLUS ONE too Garrison Joe.  Betting money says the full cock ledge or the trigger sear or both, have been "adjusted" to an incorrect angle.  My first step would be to inspect and correct those items.  Without a Jig, easy to get it wrong.  I'd suggest replacing both the hammer and the trigger.

I have 4 "distributor tuned" pistols from two different distributors and two different manufacturers.  All needed a little to a LOT of rework to make them usable.  I changed out the light springs in the Pietta for Pietta factor springs.

Work now.   

Now here is an interesting question; does some of the customizing work that many of us have done to our guns, especially some of the "race gun" type modifications, hurt their potential resale value?

The only comment I can make on this is a Navy Arms 66 I purchased a few years ago that had its lever safety removed and the hammer spring was so light, not only did the hammer fall visibly slower than on my Uberti Henry, it hit so softly that the primers would not go off about 25% of the time.   I had to take it to a gunsmith and ask him to "return it to factory specs."   If I had understood what problems the gun had, I would have either asked for a reduction in price or passed on it entirely.   I can't help but wonder if other "highly tuned" guns have had to have had their tuning "untuned" when owership changed.

When I see a gun for sale described as "full action job by [Fast Action Dremel]", "tuned for Federal primers", "race ready", etc., I just cringe.

Several incidences, but here's an example.

I bought a pair of *attractively priced* .44-40 Cattleman revolvers on here in 2017 that had trigger pulls of around 2 oz on one and 8 oz on the other. Both could be pushed off full cock with light pressure on the hammer spur, or a slap on the grips. I literally could not feel my finger touch the trigger before the hammer dropped. The seller was quite proud of his work - "That's how I like them", he said. I resold them at cost to a friend, with full disclosure. He bought some replacement parts, fixed them, and still has them as far as I know.

in response to HK Uriah’s question

people just starting out in the sport want “raceguns” right off the bat

so, i doubt it’ll hurt resale values

Pity is he is a local rancher who just wanted a carry gun. Some slick gun store employee sold him on the notion he NEEDED the Taylor tuned model. Oh well. He's borrowing one of my spares until he gets this sorted. 

Thanks all for the advice. 

So far I've had 3 pair returned to a normal trigger pull by replacing or repairing the existing trigger spring. The worst had 1/2 lb trigger pull, try shootin those gunfighter. They are now about 2 1/2 lb. Still could be a little heavier but they're OK.

kR

2 hours ago, Cibola Al said:

gun store employee sold him

One of the worst impediments to the shooting industry, long term, is a gun clerk who is not considerate of the shooter's needs and pocketbook.

Good luck, GJ

Archived