SASS Wire Forum

GAMER

Wild lead

You'ns are looking at this from the wrong angle.

A gamer is anyone who is in this game for shootin' fast instead of having a reason to acquire new equipment!

Now that we have that settled, let's quit jawing, fill those cases plum full of Black Powder and shoot a match.

And all you fast shooters, God Bless you, try to have as much fun as I do.

Duffield

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

None of those actions described by Evil Dogooder were "cheating" until SASS was forced to pass rules against doing them.  

That's a fact. Difference is a cheater did it when they knew it to be illegal. A gamer would adapt.

It's funny. In football, someone who put in extra time at the gym, practiced in the off season, studied the plays, and ended up getting more tackles, or blocks or touchdowns were called gamers. Took steroids you were a cheater.

In wrestling, the ones who ran extra stairs, measured their food and water intake, and ran extra miles so they could outlast their opponent were called gamers. Do a few Illegal moves and you were a cheater.

In boxing, they guy that hit the gym at 4 in the morning and ran 5 miles  before school started then did the regular workout after school was called a gamer. Load your hand wraps and you were a cheater.

In basketball...well. The only team I made was the church league. But I had the most tackles in a single season.

10 hours ago, Wild lead said:

Sorry Tom it's just my nature. Don't get me started on the names that we call you

Well, as slow as I am, I doubt I'll ever be called gamer. :D

The people who wrote the definition for gamer should have included a definition that addresses someone who exploits loopholes in the rules to gain an advantage, and ‘gamer’ is commonly used that way, so that’s how I’ll use it. 

On the other hand, lots of people use it (sometimes grudgingly) to mean someone who finds a previously-undiscovered opportunity to gain a competitive advantage. So I’ll use it that way, too.

It’s in context, and to be truthful, depends on who’s doing it. 

Example: Stage description says, ‘Rifle staged on table, shooter standing with arms crossed.’

Shooter comes up, grips the rifle with right hand, crosses the left forearm over the right. 

Gamer? Or cheater? If cheater, what rule was broken? (‘Everybody knows . . .’ isn’t a rule.) 

If gamer, whether it’s meant with disdain or with approval is likely to depend on what people already think about the shooter. 

9 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

That's a fact. Difference is a cheater did it when they knew it to be illegal. A gamer would adapt.

It's funny. In football, someone who put in extra time at the gym, practiced in the off season, studied the plays, and ended up getting more tackles, or blocks or touchdowns were called gamers. Took steroids you were a cheater.

In wrestling, the ones who ran extra stairs, measured their food and water intake, and ran extra miles so they could outlast their opponent were called gamers. Do a few Illegal moves and you were a cheater.

In boxing, they guy that hit the gym at 4 in the morning and ran 5 miles  before school started then did the regular workout after school was called a gamer. Load your hand wraps and you were a cheater.

In basketball...well. The only team I made was the church league. But I had the most tackles in a single season.

For those who might not get that last Paragraph, TN is saying that he made the most tackles in 'Basketball'... :lol:

..........Widder

5 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

The people who wrote the definition for gamer should have included a definition that addresses someone who exploits loopholes in the rules to gain an advantage, and ‘gamer’ is commonly used that way, so that’s how I’ll use it. 

On the other hand, lots of people use it (sometimes grudgingly) to mean someone who finds a previously-undiscovered opportunity to gain a competitive advantage. So I’ll use it that way, too.

It’s in context, and to be truthful, depends on who’s doing it. 

Example: Stage description says, ‘Rifle staged on table, shooter standing with arms crossed.’

Shooter comes up, grips the rifle with right hand, crosses the left forearm over the right. 

Gamer? Or cheater? If cheater, what rule was broken? (‘Everybody knows . . .’ isn’t a rule.) 

If gamer, whether it’s meant with disdain or with approval is likely to depend on what people already think about the shooter. 

That's a perfect example of the sort of thing that has happened many times over the years.  SASS would then say, "Come on, man, that looks horse s**t."  Then they would make another rule outlawing the practice.  

Archived