SASS Wire Forum

GAMER

Wild lead

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Anyone who plays the game different than the way I think it should be played. :angry:

(Yes, that was major sarcasm. But that’s actually how the term originated.) 

That's an extremely accurate definition.

Silver Rings

I feel when most people say it it's non complementary almost derogatory term.I think of a gamer as being someone that has figured out a better or quicker way then what the majority thought of.

A gamers is a shooter who reads, understands the instructions and then shoots the stage as close to the edge without breaking any rules.

A cheater is a shooter who does the same as above but crosses the line beyond the instructions and rules.

A gamer is a competitor who finds the shortest path through any stage and makes transions extremely smooth.

I personaly admire the gamers.

The other not so much if at all.

10 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

A gamers is a shooter who reads, understands the instructions and then shoots the stage as close to the edge without breaking any rules.

A cheater is a shooter who does the same as above but crosses the line beyond the instructions and rules.

A gamer is a competitor who finds the shortest path through any stage and makes transions extremely smooth.

I personaly admire the games.

+1

I couldn’t agree more. The gamer is a person who is pushing them self further than they ever attempt to push any of the rules. Remember the old adage work smarter not harder. Some shooters walk gamers run some shooters lay down a firearm with both hands gamer lays down one while picking up another. Things like that. When I am called a gamer I take it as a complement!

16 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Thank you

Years ago there was a similar thread on the Wire, and someone said we should not ever use the term, “gamer”.  Shoshone Slim replied

gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer

He passed several years ago.

I miss him.

Just now, J-BAR #18287 said:

Years ago there was a similar thread on the Wire, and someone said we should not ever use the term, “gamer”.  Shoshone Slim replied

gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer, gamer

I miss him.

I miss him too.

There was a "feel" on the Wire back then that we've seem to have forgotten.

Waimea

11 hours ago, Wild lead said:

I feel when most people say it it's non complementary almost derogatory term.I think of a gamer as being someone that has figured out a better or quicker way then what the majority thought of.

When the term was first coined it was most definitely NOT complementary.  Over the years it's become more of a joke. There are still a few who grumble about gamers in a derogatory way but they're few and far between these days.  If you get called a gamer at a match now it'll most likely be in a lighthearted manner. 

23 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

When the term was first coined it was most definitely NOT complementary.  Over the years it's become more of a joke. There are still a few who grumble about gamers in a derogatory way but they're few and far between these days.  If you get called a gamer at a match now it'll most likely be in a lighthearted manner. 

That is because there are still those who do step over the line. But I do agree that in 99.9% of the time it is used in lighthearted manner as SB stated.

I see a Gamer as one who tries to see the best way to shoot a stage and still stay within rules AND shoot it the way it was intended to be shot, NOT "well, you never said I couldn't" If you are jumping the timer, hanging your long guns too far off the prop, stretching the starting positions (yes, Cowboy Port Arms) you are a cheater... STOP IT!

I may joke that someone is a gamer, but to me being a gamer is not derogatory.

12 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

yes....and  "A Time Shaver"

2 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

That is because there are still those who do step against the line. But I do agree that in 99.9% of the time it is used in lighthearted manner as SB stated.

That's been my experience as well. Like when I bring out my 30" barrel 10 gauge Greener from 1880's folks will make comments such as "uh here comes a gamer trying to get an advantage on the far shotgun targets" (as if there is such a thing these days in SASS). Or when my buddy brings his improved Henry out, he gets called a gamer because his Henry has a loading gate. We always get a laugh about things like that.

15 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I miss him.

WHOA!  Hold on there pardner.  Shoshone Slim has not yet passed on to the great beyond.  He's not been in the best health the last few years, but at least his health is still counted on the positive side.  He hopes to be able to get back on the range come Spring.  Who knows, he might even venture down to Springfield for the MO State games again.

He has not been on the SASS Wire for several years.  He got put on a time out a couple times and just decided not to return.  J-Bar, if you remember "gamer" I'm sure you must remember "Chok-lit cake".  :D

He's been spending a lot of time with his grandbabies. 

I'll let him know he is remembered on the SASS Wire.  He'll get a kick out of that.

Black Angus McPherson

BAM, you beat me to it.  Shoshone Slim is alive and well.  He and Fannie Kicker converse occasionally on another social media platform.  And, as BAM mentioned, he just told her that we might even see him on the range in the near future!:) 

Some of you may have recently seen mention of some shotgun antics(on another thread) involving a member of the Insane Clown Posse and a certain female undergarment landing on a shotgun target.  Yup, he's still alive and well!:ph34r::P

17 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I miss him.

He's still alive and posts on Facebook. He appears to be doing well. I met him in Sparta, IL in 2010.

14 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

He's still alive and posts on Facebook. He appears to be doing well. I met him in Sparta, IL in 2010.

I’m delighted to be mistaken!

And I still miss him and his coyote pelt headdress!

Thanks to all for making my day!  :D

(Shoshone Slim was not a gamer.  I’ve seen him reload on the clock just because he wanted to hit a target again; “He was still movin’!”)

The term “GAMER” still isn’t complementary, in my view, but it doesn’t necessarily mean “cheater,” either.

A gamer is someone who says, "If the rules don't say I can't, I can."  That's not necessarily a good thing.

Not true. 

So I think the statement in the box IS TRUE.    You believe what you want.  THAT’S what I believe. 

Cat Brules

It's gettin bad when a feller don't know whether to take offense or not. People need to start wearing a sign so I'll know if yer being derogatory or not. Could be that the people that mean it to be offensive take umbrage at the fact other folks' aptitude or gumption exceed their own. Or could be they just need a different word to use. I don't recall ever hearing anyone referred to as a gamer in a bad way. If people are using gamer and cheater synonymously, they probably better be careful who overhears it.

To me when someone says gamer, it means someone who thinks outside the box and may or may not go against the norm on occasion as far as the way they run the stage. Or say maybe the stage says shoot the shotgun from a table starting with it in hand. I'll not crowd the table but be a good step back(where I can still ground it) and shoot. 2 reasons. 1 is my shot spreads that itty bitty bit more. Another is, chances are, I'm taking that gun with me so it gives me more room to maneuver. Maybe if you think about these little things you are a gamer...or maybe just competitive.

I think there is some overlap between those who see the term gamer as an insult and those who are only in the game ‘to have fun.’ Both groups don’t really understand the mindset of shooters who are there to compete, and some don’t acknowledge the validity of the desire to shoot fast. 

"Or say maybe the stage says shoot the shotgun from a table starting with it in hand. I'll not crowd the table but be a good step back(where I can still ground it) and shoot."

That's fine. No problem. Standing with just the tip of your boot behind the table. Some call that being a gamer. You decide if that is a good thing or bad. But I'm pretty sure that is what the writer had in mind.  And God help us if we have to start writing. "Standing between 6 and 18 inches behind the center point of the table...." 

Most stage writers around here write stage instructions that identify where to start. Such as behind table means part of your body is behind table.  At table would mean close enough to ground a malfunctioning gun. No foot faults.

53 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

It's gettin bad when a feller don't know whether to take offense or not. People need to start wearing a sign so I'll know if yer being derogatory or not. Could be that the people that mean it to be offensive take umbrage at the fact other folks' aptitude or gumption exceed their own. Or could be they just need a different word to use. I don't recall ever hearing anyone referred to as a gamer in a bad way. If people are using gamer and cheater synonymously, they probably better be careful who overhears it.

To me when someone says gamer, it means someone who thinks outside the box and may or may not go against the norm on occasion as far as the way they run the stage. Or say maybe the stage says shoot the shotgun from a table starting with it in hand. I'll not crowd the table but be a good step back(where I can still ground it) and shoot. 2 reasons. 1 is my shot spreads that itty bitty bit more. Another is, chances are, I'm taking that gun with me so it gives me more room to maneuver. Maybe if you think about these little things you are a gamer...or maybe just competitive.

Well said.

I only shoot with a few people that can shoot 20 second stages constantly.  I've never heard them complain when I get up and shoot my 50 second stages.  But I'd rather not shoot behind them because they are already at the unloading table before I get my guns loaded.

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

The term “GAMER” still isn’t complementary, in my view, but it doesn’t necessarily mean “cheater,” either.

A gamer is someone who says, "If the rules don't say I can't, I can."  That's not necessarily a good thing.

Not true. 

So I think the statement in the box IS TRUE.    You believe what you want.  THAT’S what I believe. 

Cat Brules

I agree, mostly. 

I guess I never thought the term" Gamer" applied to cunning or creative shooters, but rather to folks who DO cheat, but in ways that are difficult to catch or call.  For example, they use butterfly loads that they know don't meet power factor, thinking (correctly)  that in few matches will anyone ever lead them over to a chrono.  Or they wear athletic shoes, claiming a podiatric problem,  Or they shoot all remaining rounds at a single target to reduce clock time if they realize they've gotten a "P" and can't get another, then assert that they were "hits", but just on the wrong target. 

But just shooting the stage more efficiently is what I see the game being all about.  That's what all of us try to do.  

Archived