SASS Wire Forum

Help Identifying a replica Colt 1851 Navy

CrisM

Hello all,

A recent family inheritance item came to my attention and I was asked to look further into it but have hit a wall and am hoping someone here can help. I have gotten some leads of this being an Uberti replica but there are no definitive markings or anything on their websites to say for certain. This item came into the family in about 1978 and has a serial number in the form 1xx. I have uploaded some photos and am happy to answer anyone questions. I appreciate any insight someone can offer on if this is a replica and if so, exactly where from. Thank you.

20200113_211743.jpg

IMG_90151.jpg

IMG_90161.jpg

IMG_90171.jpg

IMG_90181.jpg

PM Fingers McGee:

He knows more about these guns than anyone I know.

Here's a link to help you interpret any markings you find:

http://74.220.214.175/nick/MBPProofmarks1.pdf

Good luck!

--Dawg

Were I some "Flush" and a betting type sort, I'd Opine the gun started life at Armi San Marco.  Silver Plate back strap and trigger guard are almost a trademark of ASM guns.  Just a WAG though.

1 hour ago, Chertrock Chuck said:

Engraving appears to be done by hand.

Its a beauty.

+1 Beautiful gun .

I would buy a pair like that today if they still made them .:wub: 

Well, it is marked Colt on the barrel.  I am not familiar enough with 2nd Gen Colts BP pistols to know how they marked those guns, but could it be one of those?

There was two versions of the colt black powder series of guns. The Colt Signature series were manufactured by Uberti and were shipped to Colt and finished by Colt . They are identical in all markings to the originals and are beautiful in their finish. Most Colt collectors consider them second generation Colts. Colt licensed another company to sell some that were finished by the founders of the modern Henry Firearms company in New Jersey and these are of a much lesser quality in their finish.

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well, it is marked Colt on the barrel.  I am not familiar enough with 2nd Gen Colts BP pistols to know how they marked those guns, but could it be one of those?

My two Colt 2nd gen 1851's are marked the same as the one in the  picture. Both of mine have square back trigger guards and the loading cut in the barrel is not that large and not flared like this one.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:24 PM, Kid Russell said:

There was two versions of the colt black powder series of guns. The Colt Signature series were manufactured by Uberti and were shipped to Colt and finished by Colt . They are identical in all markings to the originals and are beautiful in their finish. Most Colt collectors consider them second generation Colts. Colt licensed another company to sell some that were finished by the founders of the modern Henry Firearms company in New Jersey and these are of a much lesser quality in their finish.

The Signature Series is the 3rd gen. Here is a link with a detailed history.

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=32017.0

Archived