SASS Wire Forum

Modern health care

My son works for  a small employer in Texas.  Ten years ago he had pretty good health insurance through his employer.  

Since the new health care system has been in place he has been unable to afford any of the plans that are available to him.

I am concerned.

Does Texas have any state medical care programs available to someone in his position?

Thanks,

Duffield

Try the Medishare. I have a co-worker that uses the Christian program and he is happy with it so far. It's basically a co-op. They just paid $100k for his wifes stay in the hospital for a respiratory problem.

He pays around $400 monthly for the family plan. 

59 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

But, but, Obamma said his program will provide healthcare insurance for everyone. I know political. My daughter is in a similar position . She makes too much for medicare and doesn't make enough for other options.

The "affordable care act" is an income redistribution scam, it has nothing to do with health care. 

I work in the medical industry, 80% of costs go to administration. HIPAA compliance has created another level of bureaucracy, and health care costs have risen accordingly. I've yet to see anyone steal medical records. This is someones idea of job creation and we all have to foot the bill.  

Have him check out catastrophic plans. A catastrophic health insurance plan has a lower premium than other health plans, but has a high deductible. It is meant to serve as a "safety net" to cover large medical costs in case of a serious illness or injury. Costs vary by deductible, coinsurance, co-payment, out-of-pocket expenses.

I retired 2 years ago & have been on medicare.

Couple of months ago I went in to the VA to get a vet ID.Next thing I know Im getting Vet medical bennifits.All these years since 1973 & I didnt know I was eligible.

Largo

image.png.d0bbdaa6e6b9883a20de7b5f6ba0396b.png  The VA is wonderful. On top of my service in the Marine Corps, I am an Atomic Veteran. I couldn't get better and less expensive care anywhere at any time. :)

On 1/14/2020 at 11:47 AM, Assassin said:

The "affordable care act" is an income redistribution scam, it has nothing to do with health care. 

I work in the medical industry, 80% of costs go to administration. HIPAA compliance has created another level of bureaucracy, and health care costs have risen accordingly. I've yet to see anyone steal medical records. This is someones idea of job creation and we all have to foot the bill.  

I mostly agree with you, but would like to ask this:  As an attorney I order medical records daily.  A company has offered to do this on behalf of my clients for all electronic medical records in the system.  I turned them down as I was not happy with the explanation of how they had access and their claim they were the only ones doing the same.  Do you know anything relative to this ant he potential data mining of medical record?

Wow, "data mining". Just had this conversation this morning with the compliance officer. We deal with mental health. Physical health isn't as strict on EMR (electronic medical records). We have security on top of security for electronic records. It could be hacked, however it would have to be someone that was really good. I'm thinking if I were to pay someone off in-house I could aquire records much easier. HIPAA requires locked file cabinet in a locked room. Even our server and communication rooms are behind two locked doors. We no longer have paper records. There are different rules for juveniles, people that were deemed a " threat to society", homicides, a threat to themselves, abused children, sexual abuse, and so forth. There's different protocol for each category. We have some records that go back 60 years.

Physical health would be much easier to breach. I also do all the maintenance at a urgent care clinic. Their EMR system is not as complicated.

Although, I'm the Facilities Supervisor I too must go through all the training for compliance and I have to make sure all bases are covered in the physical plant.

We give clients a number and one would have to know the client number to get their name and files.

Most breaches are stoopid employees looking up family members or aquaintences. They are terminated rather quickly. And, their HR file states do not rehire, ever. No second chances. Everything pops up in IT and they run checks periodically through the week.

I can't get into the EMR records. Don't want to see them, not my business. 

If someone is "data mining" I'm thinking it's not legal. And, I doubt such data could be used in court due to it being acquired illegally.

Unless the client, guardian, or POA has signed off it's tough to get any type of medical records. Maybe a judge could get a provider to release records with a court order under the right circumstances.

Now, does everyone understand why this extra layer of security increases the cost of health care.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, largo casey #19191 said:

I retired 2 years ago & have been on medicare.

Couple of months ago I went in to the VA to get a vet ID.Next thing I know I'm getting Vet medical benefits. All these years since 1973 & I didnt know I was eligible.

Largo

I am in the same boat since 12-7-1971.  Always thought I wasn't eligible since I didn't have any disabilities.  Based on my wife talking to several friends who's husbands a vets receiving care through the VA she made an appointment with the VA benefits consultant at the local VA office to determine my eligibility.  Apparently the VA now assumes all VN vets are assumed to have suffered from exposure to agent orange.

Learn Spanish, move to California, pretend to be an illegal alien.

The State of CA will give you a free ride on healthcare.

Cat Brules

JD .I was in til 11/4/1973. I never went to Nam,so I didnt figure I was elegible.

Largo

Medicare fraud is rampant in this country. That is why they now need your SSN and the new Medicare number to bill the government.  However that will only slow them down for a short while. 

I have already had an individual attempt to get my Wife's new medicare number over the phone. They had a lot of details about the last hospital visit but the name of the who actually needed the information.

Caller was a native english speaker, very polite, and knew what to say without resorting to a script. Claimed to be a third party company that handled billing for a lot of medical professionals and she didn't have access to which one didn't have her new number.

Needless to say I refused to give the number over the phone and they promised to send me a bill. I am still waiting for that bill

8 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Assassin

This is both with the clients permission and specific request.  He claims his company has a contract, but I prefer to do my own work and know it is done legally and correctly.

Thanks

I checked with the IT guys. They can't access a file without an audit flag popping up. The IT director and compliance officer are sent a message instantly. They told me there are people that will find info on the "dark web", it is not cheap and not legally acquired. 

Archived