SASS Wire Forum

What pistol is this?

Silver Rings SASS # 27466

I originally thought this was a S&W,but on closer inspection it isn't. Marked Secret service special,  38 s&w. See pictures for more information.  Gun cocks either in single or double action but the hammer doesn't fall.

Silver Rings 

20200113_142323.jpg

20200113_142333.jpg

It looks like an Iver Johnson, which means it may also be a US Revolver company product as IJ made both. But it could also be one of the similar variants made by H&R, Hopkins and Allen, or Meriden Firearms, and/or a Spanish company who’s name I’ve forgotten. If it’s the Spanish version, it should have a Spanish proof mark on the frame somewhere, possibly under the grips. Are there any other markings you can see?

A quick online search shows similar models from the aforementioned companies, but only one with the MFCa logo on the grips. Here’s the link:

http://meridenfirearms.com/pistol.html

Looks like PaleWolf Brunelle beat me to it!

1 hour ago, Captain Curly Strait said:

Not a clue. But I’ll dig through my reference materials. Could you post a picture?

Thanks everyone for your help. Don't worry about the symbol, it's not important.

Silver Rings

Both Captain Curly and Pale Wolf are right! 

A Meriden Firearms wholesaler, the Fred Biffar Company,  issued an order to Iver Johnson to make a better quality revolver than what Meriden was making.  The Secret Service Special was a model made by IJ with Meriden 's marked grips on them, starting in about 1912.  The unique front sight identifies this gun as an IJ made Meriden marked gun.   Generally this model is almost the same as a US Revolver (a house brand used by IJ for lower quality guns) large frame gun.

One reason that the hammer may not be falling is that there is a hammer blocking safety that in installed in some of the IJ/Meriden revolvers.  As W E Goforth describes it in his book on IJ guns, the hammer pivot screw serves as a hammer block.   "When the "pin" is flush with the right side of frame, the hammer cannot be cocked.   When pushed the other way (so it's flush with left side of frame, it can be cocked"    Might try putting some WD-40 on that hammer pivot and see if it can be loosened up and then pushed from side to side.

If you have the serial number, I can look it up in Goforth's book and find year of manufacture - most of IJ's production records are in good order.

Good luck, GJ

That's CMFAO - coughing my frizn @$$ off.   An early application of web acronyms.  Cough, cough.   :lol:

Archived