SASS Wire Forum

how about loads for 180gr. swc, in 45 colt ?

Throckmorton,23149

ever on the hunt for 'that' load, lol.  cast 'coated' boolits

I have clays, w231, trail boss powders. 

these will only be used in my sixguns if anyone has a proven load ?

I will exercise prudence in using suggested loads.  thanks !!

Lyman's 4th Ed Cast Bullet Handbook only lists 160 & 200 grain cast bullets for the 45 Colt in the pistol section.  Of those powders you have listed they have loads for 231 & trail boss listed for both bullet weights.    I've used a 185 grain bullet and utilized about the mid point between their starting loads for each bullet weight as a beginning to develop my own load.  I quit using that bullet due to the rifle I was using at that time didn't like the 185 bullet I was using.  And, except for BP, it doesn't like my 160 grain I'm using now... so I've stuck to the 200 weight RFN.  

And, my Colt SAAs like the 160 grain bullet in Cowboy45Special cases better than they ever like the 185 gr. in 45 Colt Cases.

Plus, in the short case and the light CAS loads it's much easier to gain load density (and ergo, consistency).   When I've hit them, I've never had a problem with KDs and the 160s in C45S @ just over 700 fps.

Yes, I'm avoiding the question, as my suggestion is to quit fooling with the 45 Colt for pistols and go to the C45S case, available from Starline.  If you don't want to buy... pm me an address and I'll send you 25 to test out... that's how much I like 'em.

180 gr coated ( Bang & Clang Bullets) 5.0 grains 700X with a Federal Lrg primer. Works well, cleaner and cheaper than Trail Boss in 45 Colt. 
Clays works ok, but dirtier to my eye. 

I have been using 5.0 grains of Trail Boss with 180 grain SWC lead bullets from Summers Enterprises for over a year now in my New Vaqueros. I feel the recoil is just enough better over the 200 gr bullets I use in my rifle to make it worth loading separately. 

SWCs are fine for pistols, but will likely jam in a lever gun (yes, I know I'll get commentary on that) so why would you want to use two different loads (one for pistols and one for rifle)?

Lee 2nd edition: OAL 1.540"

Win231- 6 gr @ 838 fps- 8.2 gr. @ 1087               You might try around 5 - 5.5 gr.

Clays- 4.8 gr. @ 840 fps- 6 gr. @ 1016 fps            Try 4.0- 4.2 gr. 

TB- 6 gr. @ 818 fps- 7.3 @ 935 fps

An alternative could be using Schofield cases. They work fine in my Pietta clones and Uberti top-breaks.

Archived