SASS Wire Forum

Houston Astros fires Mgr.& GM

Rye Miles #13621

Wow. Plus they lose their 1st and 2nd round draft picks for 2020 and 2021 and get a $5,000,000.00 fine. Wonder what is going to happen to Boston for doing the same thing.

This will certainly make the next team that thinks about "stealing signs" think twice.

17 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Wow. Plus they lose their 1st and 2nd round draft picks for 2020 and 2021 and get a $5,000,000.00 fine. Wonder what is going to happen to Boston for doing the same thing.

This will certainly make the next team that thinks about "stealing signs" think twice.

They all do but from what I understand the Astros went way beyond the norm. They had a guy in the stands with a camera or phone maybe? 
Teams have been trying to steal signs from day one!

18 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They all do but from what I understand the Astros went way beyond the norm. They had a guy in the stands with a camera or phone maybe? 

Stealing signs is legal - it's using electronic equipment to do it that's illegal.

If you're going to steal signs, you have to do it the old fashioned way.  

50 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That is correct. They used video, or the like, and then relayed them to the batter by banging on a garbage can or other means. Of course they TRY to steal signs, all teams do but as Bart stated, using electronic means to do it is punishable. 

I wonder if either are able to be hired and work (this season) for another team. I would have to imagine not nor would I think that another team would hire either.

Any time a game is played for money, people are going to cheat. Doesn't matter if it's baseball, football, cards or cockroach racing.....they'll try cheating. One reason that I'm glad that their are no "cash" prizes in SASS although there is probably still someone who will cheat to get a trinket or trophy. 

IMHO, the Dahyers (Latin for dodgers) as much as I hate them should be given the title. The Astros cheated, 

plain and simple when they won the series in 2017.

Think sign stealing doesn’t matter? Look at the disparity between Astros home and away batting averages in the 2017 World Series.

Jose Altuve:
Home: .472 BA/.513 OBP/1.028 SLG/1.541 OPS, 17 H, 6 HR & 12 RBI

Away: .143 BA, .268 OBP, .229 SLG, .497 OPS, 5 H, 1 HR & 2 RBI

Carlos Correa:
Home: .371 BA/.421 OBP/.743 SLG/1.164 OPS, 13 H, 3 HR & 10 RBI

Away: .211 BA/.231 OBP/.395 SLG/.626 OPS, 8 H, 2 HR & 4 RBI.

Brian McCann:
Home: .300 BA/.382 OBP/.467 SLG/.849 OPS, 9 H, 1 HR & 7 RBI

Away: .037 BA/.161 OBP/.037 SLG/.198 OPS, 1 H, 0 HR & 0 RBI

More pernicious than even the steroid scandal, and it unfairly punishes teams and players who chose not to cheat.

Cheers,

FJT

2 minutes ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

More pernicious than even the steroid scandal, and it unfairly punishes teams and players who chose not to cheat.

Cheers,

FJT

No evidence that they chose not to cheat. More likely that they were not in on the scam.

Archived