SASS Wire Forum

So if you'd lived in 1873.....

Sixgun Sheridan

44 minutes ago, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

I was a Deputy Sheriff for 32 years.  So, I would either do that or ride shotgun on a stage coach.

Hey Mayo, with you riding shotgun I would definitely take the job of stagecoach driver. :D

Of course, I would insist on keeping my Winchester handy for those shotgun pellet dodging scalliwags...;)

I would be a gunfighter/bounty hunter.

My great granddad was a freighter out of La Junta, Co. Who knows if I'd find my way into that line of work. My other greats were farmers... no interest in farming.

Just can't really say.

My SASS Avatar and character is a preacher out to revenge the killing of his wife and their child.  

If I lived in 1873, I would be a bounty hunter...the Old West version of 007 with a license to kill.

image.png.5441a0ae30e53f069cf4a09af7e115e9.png

(emphasis on dead)

I would still be a preacher in a small town in a remote area of the west who periodically takes sabbaticals in which I would hunt and receive the rewards for wanted outlaws, and giving it back to the community.

My choice of firearms, Sharps New Model 1859 .50-70 Infantry Carbine

image.thumb.png.b2381b5933d93f4c4e2e7cb3eeabcb2c.png

1 hour ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

When I read this post - IF YOU LIVED IN 1873, WHAT WOULD YOU BE? --- 16

16 in 1873? That would make him 163 in 2020. And still playing the game? Daaammmn.

Then my mind switched tracks -- oh, NUMBER 16. Outlaw. Okay.

Homer, Doh.png

My family history from 1873 told of one of my great-grandfathers, Chamberlain (Cham) Gray who lived in Magnum, Texas, later in the 1890's.  Cham was a bronc buster who somehow along the line lost an eye.  Cham always carried his Bible with him and was also an itinerant preacher.  So I might have been a preacher in 1873; Baptist of course!! :P

PS:  Isn't "Cham Gray" a great western name?  If I'd know about Grandpa Gray before I got into SASS, I would have made my SASS alias, Cham Gray.

^_^

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

My family history from 1873 told of one of my great-grandfathers, Chamberlain (Cham) Gray who lived in Magnum, Texas, later in the 1890's.  Cham was a bronc buster who somehow along the line lost an eye.  Cham always carried his Bible with him and was also an itinerant preacher.  So I might have been a preacher in 1873; Baptist of course!! :P

PS:  Isn't "Cham Gray" a great western name?  If I'd know about Grandpa Gray before I got into SASS, I would have made my SASS alias, Cham Gray.

^_^

So send SASS $10.00 and change your alias!! Cham Gray is a great name!;)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So send SASS $10.00 and change your alias!! Cham Gray is a great name!;)

Thanks, Rye.  But I've been Birdgun for so long, I'm not changing.  I'll stay, Birdgun Quail.

I would be a Gunsmith. 

Working on all them Winchester 1892's they used in 1873.

Like all the Cowboys used In the Civil war :D

In my early life, I was a farmer/rancher.  Unexpected circumstances pulled me away from the ranch and into spending 30+ years my later life as a guard at the Territorial Prison.

My alias, Sgt. C.J. Sabre joined The U.S. Marines early in the Civil War. After the War, he was transferred to Arizona where he eventually became a Bullwhacker driving a supply wagon. Around the turn of the Century, he joined The Arizona Rangers. 

I'd probably have been a Bullwhacker since today I drive a truck.

Well if we're assuming our 1873 identity closely matched that of our real ones, then I guess I probably would've ended up running my own general store since I worked in retail for many years. I can't think of any 19th Century correlation to my current job in information technology, except maybe running the Pony Express or telegraph service. :mellow:

Archived