SASS Wire Forum

So if you'd lived in 1873.....

Sixgun Sheridan

Time for an actual COWBOY topic. If today was January, 1873 what would be your most likely profession? Would you head out west or stay back east of the Mississippi where it's safe? If you head out west, would you most likely be:

1. a farmer/rancher

2. a hunter (buffalo, fur trade, etc)

3. a lawman

4. a gambler

5. a proprietor of a saloon, brothel, and/or hotel

6. a judge/politician

7. run your own dry goods or hardware store

8. a miner

9. a logger

10. a cattle driver/cowboy

11. a teacher

12. a preacher

13. a pimp or *****

14. a soldier/cavalry

15. indigenous American

16. an outlaw

Or something else? Me, I'd probably end up being an outlaw because I really suck at most of the above. <_<

1 minute ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Time for an actual COWBOY topic. If today was January, 1873 what would be your most likely profession? Would you head out west or stay back east of the Mississippi where it's safe? If you head out west, would you most likely be:

1. a farmer/rancher

2. a hunter (buffalo, fur trade, etc)

3. a lawman

4. a gambler

5. a proprietor of a saloon, brothel, and/or hotel

6. a judge/politician

7. run your own dry goods or hardware store

8. a miner

9. a logger

10. a cattle driver/cowboy

11. a pimp or *****

12. an outlaw

Or something else? Me, I'd probably end up being an outlaw because I really suck at most of the above. <_<

Probably 7, maybe a school teacher.

My character's inspiration is partly based on a real person, a surveyor/miner, during the Alaskan gold rush - right at the very end of the time frame for this game.

The real me, maybe a logger in the Pacific northwest or a politician in one of the new territories.

Investment banker and ranch owner like my two of my Great, great, great grandfathers

Piano player or musician of some sort. Maybe just an old cowhand with a guitar and play around the campfire??

Being to lazy to work, to nervous to steal and to jealous to pimp.......

I guess that leaves # 5. 

I'd stand behind the bar all day and polish shot glasses like I see 'em do in all the old western movies.

I was born in Colorado, and both of my parents were born in the west.  Dad’s family were ranchers, mom’s were railroaders.  I figure after I got busted up working cattle I probably would have applied to the D&RGW. So you need to add #17, railroader, to your list!  :D

Yes there were a lot of other career choices back then besides my list. Railroad worker, coal miner, bounty hunter, Pinkerton, doctor, veterinarian, banker, etc... I just wanted to see what others saw themselves doing had they actually lived during the Old West.

Probably alternate between law man and outlaw, depending on the need at the time.

More than likely I would be long dead and buried, given the state of medicine in those days!!!!

There wouldn't have been any railroad workers if there weren't any investment bankers!!!!   :lol:

My investment banking hero is Roy Disney, Walt's brother.

Can you imagine asking: "May I have several million dollars to build a kingdom for a mouse?"

Carpenter, like my Grandfather.

Or Blacksmith, which is more likely.

By the early 1900’s a shade tree mechanic as well.

CJ

Well, since this is fantasy I would go back and be in my very early 20’s and I think I would try something different. I think I would want to be a Lawman. Perhaps even a US Marshal in the West somewhere. 

Probably the same thing I did for most of my adult life anyway.

Farrier, blacksmith (which every town had to have).

Buy and sell horses.

I am sure that I would have worked my way west.

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Piano player or musician of some sort. Maybe just an old cowhand with a guitar and play around the campfire??

I forgot, I could have been a piano tuner as I am today! Most piano tuners lived in the east though. Work had to be few and VERY far between for a tuner out west. There were piano players out west who would carry a tuning hammer and a tuning fork and some mutes to "tweak" the pianos they were playing in them dusty old saloons!

Since  I'm semi retired from farming, and have a small cow herd,  I'd probably say number 1 or number 10.  

Archived