SASS Wire Forum

Club afillation?

Matthew Duncan

If a Club isn't listed under SASSnet.com / Shooting Events; does that mean the club isn't SASS affilated (pays membership dues to SASS)?

5 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

If a Club isn't listed under SASSnet.com / Shooting Events; does that mean the club isn't SASS affilated (pays membership dues to SASS)?

I think so. Firelands Peacemakers, my home club, had some issues and stopped shooting for about a year and a half. It came back and they had to send in $50.00, (I think) to get back as SASS affiliated and appear in the chronicle's list of clubs.

With the change of personnel, there have been a few database errors, but Ruthless Ruby at SASS HQ (who at last contact was the SASS Club Administrator) is working to get everything back on track.  If in doubt, give her a call, but even after it is fixed in the database, it can take a little while to get it fixed in the Chronicle and on the website.

53 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

It is my understanding that you must report a certain percentage of SASS Members participating in your matches to be listed.

This confuses me. On the SASS club application it says at least 50% must be members. Is that 50% of the club membership must belong to SASS? If 50% of the participants how do you determine that? I know there has to be people out there who wear the badge but stopped paying dues. I didn't renew the SASS club membership for this year as I thought 50% of the club members must belong to SASS.

SASS® Affiliated Club Requirements
• Maintain no less than 50 % of its total membership in SASS®

On 1/13/2020 at 5:42 AM, Matthew Duncan said:

Hello Everyone,

I’m here to clarify some of the topics brought up in this post.

1. It is a fair assumption that,  if a club is not listed on the website or in the Cowboy Chronicle, that club has not renewed their SASS affiliation. Renewing a club’s affiliation is simple- you can find the form here:  https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/CLUB AFFILIATION-App-2pgs-2020.pdf
  2. There is an annual fee for club affiliation-  of a flat $50. When the club affiliation program was re-vamped some years ago, I understand that the first year the affiliation fee was set on a sliding scale- a nightmare to track! So, after that first year, it was decided to go to a flat $50/year rate for affiliation.
  3. In order to qualify for SASS affiliation, the club is required to “Maintain no less than 50 % of its total membership in SASS®. (As stated in the Club affiliation application)" This requirement does not apply to match attendees- only to dues paying club members. In terms of verification- we trust our clubs and their representatives to be truthful and honest; the Cowboy Way.  

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email at ruby@sassnet.com.

Sincerely,

Ruby Ruthless

SASS Club Administrator

59 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Thank you for the clarification Ruby. I guess we won't be renewing the club in SASS as we have maybe 10 SASS members out of the 400 club members.

Do you have 400 Cowboy shooters ? Or is there a parent hosting club that lets a small  cowboy club shoot at their range ?

None of our members pay club dues. If they come out and help do stuff they are members. Some of us are founding members, means we spent money to start the club. All of our founding members are SASS members. That 50% policy is very vague.

Boy howdy!  I reckon the “Cowboy Way” shoulders a pretty heavy burden, don’t it? 

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Thank you for the clarification Ruby. I guess we won't be renewing the club in SASS as we have maybe 10 SASS members out of the 400 club members.

High Spade,

To clarify even further, we do not mean 50% membership out of your entire home range. If you have 10 members within your SASS Affiliated club (that shoot your monthly matches etc.) and all 10 are SASS members, then you have 100% membership. Please feel free to give me a call here at the SASS office; 505-843-1320, to discuss this further or email me at ruby@sassnet.com.

Best Regards,

Ruby Ruthless

SASS Club Administrator

32 minutes ago, Ruby Ruthless SASS#105922 said:

High Spade,

To clarify even further, we do not mean 50% membership out of your entire home range. If you have 10 members within your SASS Affiliated club (that shoot your monthly matches etc.) and all 10 are SASS members, then you have 100% membership. Please feel free to give me a call here at the SASS office; 505-843-1320, to discuss this further or email me at ruby@sassnet.com.

Best Regards,

Ruby Ruthless

SASS Club Administrator

That is how I always understood it because we are affiliating our posse/club not the gun club where we shoot.  Cowboy Action Shooting is one shooting discipline of our gun club.  We do not even have a separate treasury.  But, I can see how this part of the affiliation requirement could be confusing though.  There are many different ways that clubs/posses operate.

When I first became treasurer of our club, I faced the same dilemma of our club "disappearing" from the affiliated clubs list.  Being new, I was unaware of the procedure.  I made sure that my replacement knew how to take care of this.

Ruby did a great job of explaining how to remedy the situation.  The only thing I might ad is that you must remember to renew your affiliation each year yourself.  To my knowledge, SASS is not sending out club renewal notices.   

4 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

When I first became treasurer of our club, I faced the same dilemma of our club "disappearing" from the affiliated clubs list.  My predecessor failed to inform me of the procedure.  I made sure that my replacement knew how to take care of this.

Ruby did a great job of explaining how to remedy the situation.  The only thing I might ad is that you must remember to renew your affiliation each year yourself.  To my knowledge, SASS is not sending out club renewal notices.   

Did you ask him?

7 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I was emailed the affiliation renewal form in 2018; but not in 2019.

Same here so when I didn't receive it I called.

Archived