SASS Wire Forum

Edger

Kirk James

How do you as a TO handle an edger?  One of the 3 spotters says they saw an edger and can point it out and two call a miss.   Should the TO call a meeting of the three spotters each time this condition occurs for a meeting?  Do you go down and examine the target?  As one of the three spotter do you change your call if the information given causes you to question your call?  

As a spotter if the TO or another spotter can show me where a bullet edged a target that is enough for me to give the shooter the benefit of the doubt.

I have also shown others where a bullet hit the edge of a target that they called a miss. Sometimes they change their call sometimes they don't.

4 minutes ago, Kirk James said:

How do you as a TO handle an edger?  One of the 3 spotters says they saw an edger and can point it out and two call a miss.   Should the TO call a meeting of the three spotters each time this condition occurs for a meeting?  Do you go down and examine the target?  As one of the three spotter do you change your call if the information given causes you to question your call?  

I usually ask the one spotter to explain or point out what he/she saw to the other two. They are welcome to advance down range and examine the target if they wish.

It also somewhat depends on what I might have seen, such as a bullet strike in the dirt or berm far away from the line of bullet travel. If no one changes their call then it is counted as a miss and we proceed with the next shooter. I wouldn't call it a meeting. More like a brief discussion.

As a spotter, I don't call it a miss unless I am sure it was a miss.

27 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I usually ask the one spotter to explain or point out what he/she saw to the other two. They are welcome to advance down range and examine the target if they wish.

It also somewhat depends on what I might have seen, such as a bullet strike in the dirt or berm far away from the line of bullet travel. If no one changes their call then it is counted as a miss and we proceed with the next shooter. I wouldn't call it a meeting. More like a brief discussion.

As a spotter, I don't call it a miss unless I am sure it was a miss.

This

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

As a spotter if the TO or another spotter can show me where a bullet edged a target that is enough for me to give the shooter the benefit of the doubt.

I have also shown others where a bullet hit the edge of a target that they called a miss. Sometimes they change their call sometimes they don't.

+ 10000

As a TO if I have a two - one split like that I let them hash it out however they want to, including examining the target if they want to, then record whatever they report to me.  If I saw the edger I'll politely tell them so while stating that it's not my call, just my observation.  If I didn't see the edger I keep my mouth shut.

For certain, a target has an edge and it can sometime just only slightly get touched.....it is still a hit but so often only one spotter can see it.  As Ace, Doc, & Bill point out, it is good as a TO to have the observation pointed out.  I have found many times a spotter, especially on opposite end of spotter calling hit, agreeing that an edge in the vision of other spotter a possible thus changing his call.  I honor the reversal if done quickly, without great discussion, and in a non-coercive manner.

As a TO if I saw the edger I will mention it. Then I allow spotter to point it out. Then I ask spotters for their call. 

as a spotter, if another spotter calls an edger I will look at target and usually agree.

I never allow my call to be changed from hit to miss. 

Archived