SASS Wire Forum

How I make things complex

Raylan

With SASS I had the pistols I wanted, bought the rifle I wanted which matched my pistols, and had a useable shotgun. Got reloading dies, brass, bullets, and powder. Got useable leather for my pistols and had black boots. That's when all the trouble started. Had to get a hat, pants, shirts, accessories. Dress like a cowboy, or a lawman, or a gambler, or etc....

Well clothing for me is bought once a year for work as cheap as I can reasonably get. In other words I have no idea. When I was married (3 times) my wives choose my clothing with me retaining veto power over anything too much. I get clothes for work and motorcycle riding and that's the limit to my ability.

Now I look at cowboy clothes - lots of internet sites with lots of clothes with for me lots of money. Hmmmm, try the Goodwill and etc.... Yeah, not much there for old west style clothing - no hats, no pants, maybe a shirt or two though they aren't historically close.  Try Amazon, well a few things that may work, lots of merchandise from venders that sell old west and historical apparel though so almost a circle there. 

I would complain, but it's been an interesting learning experience, and I am doing this to myself because I want more than a long sleeve shirt, boots, hat, and pants. Watched all the dress the part videos on youtube. Looked up all the old west photos I could DDG. Finally decided to try two looks, cowboy or course, and the frock coat look. Think I get most of my inspiration from Tombstone the movie and from John Wayne movies, throw in some tv from the old wyatt earp, gunsmoke, and maybe maverick. I didn't even know what the heck a wild rag was let alone a puff tie or the different type of watch chains. 

Keep it simple. 
Wrangler jeans. Plain colored (no pattern) long sleeve cotton men’s shirt. Hit Goodwill looking for a vest maybe.
I wouldn’t scrimp on boots. Buy new and buy good ones. Life sux at a match when you have ill fitting boots and sore feet. If you have a boot barn near you try looking for some pull on Ropers. For the money they are a god deal. Justin makes some nice ones. Also, look at Dan Post and Laredo boots. I had a pair of the square toed Laredo’s and they fit great and were very comfortable after I put an insole in them. 
Regarding the hat, check out Boot Barn as well. 

If you need a coat look at Carharrt barn coats. They are canvas and after a couple of washes it might become your favorite. 

There’s no need to break your bank starting out and trying to keep up with folks that have been doing this for years isn’t worth it. Somewhere down the road you’ll have all you want but for now just get what you need and have fun. That’s the main point anyway. ;)

Pat Riot is absolutely right.

So is Michigan Slim.

Wish I'd received Slim's sound advice years ago ... I have all the fashion sense of a paving brick ...

51 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I've heard and seen many times that, in SASS, the women talk about guns and the men talk about clothes. Here you are fitting in. B)

Have seen that many times.  Ask some of your fellow shooters where they get stuff from.  

Bought my first set of clothes at Goodwill: plain shirt, pants that I removed the belt loops and added suspender buttons, eleven years ago.  These are what I weat for a shoot/work day where we do light range work while scores are tallied.

Same with leather, start cheap.  Use for shooting on rainy days.

5 hours ago, Raylan said:

maybe a shirt or two though they aren't historically close. 

Buy shirts with a neckband & collar then find a seamstress who can take the collar off.

I still wear a vest (unless it's too hot) cowboy shirts and boots and a good hat. The one thing I broke away from was those awful fitting cowboy pants! I hate 'em!

I wear jeans all the time now. I have blue jeans, black jeans and gray jeans. 

My avatar shows how I dress most of the time.

20 hours ago, Raylan said:

With SASS I had the pistols I wanted, bought the rifle I wanted which matched my pistols, and had a useable shotgun. Got reloading dies, brass, bullets, and powder. Got useable leather for my pistols and had black boots. That's when all the trouble started. Had to get a hat, pants, shirts, accessories. Dress like a cowboy, or a lawman, or a gambler, or etc....

Well clothing for me is bought once a year for work as cheap as I can reasonably get. In other words I have no idea. When I was married (3 times) my wives choose my clothing with me retaining veto power over anything too much. I get clothes for work and motorcycle riding and that's the limit to my ability.

Now I look at cowboy clothes - lots of internet sites with lots of clothes with for me lots of money. Hmmmm, try the Goodwill and etc.... Yeah, not much there for old west style clothing - no hats, no pants, maybe a shirt or two though they aren't historically close.  Try Amazon, well a few things that may work, lots of merchandise from venders that sell old west and historical apparel though so almost a circle there. 

I would complain, but it's been an interesting learning experience, and I am doing this to myself because I want more than a long sleeve shirt, boots, hat, and pants. Watched all the dress the part videos on youtube. Looked up all the old west photos I could DDG. Finally decided to try two looks, cowboy or course, and the frock coat look. Think I get most of my inspiration from Tombstone the movie and from John Wayne movies, throw in some tv from the old wyatt earp, gunsmoke, and maybe maverick. I didn't even know what the heck a wild rag was let alone a puff tie or the different type of watch chains. 

All the years I worked in and around cowboy places I never heard of a bandana called a "wild rag".  I never heard a hat thong called a "stampede string" either.  They are both new to us old timers, like maybe in the last 15-20 years.

What's next boots being referred to as "cowboy clogs"?

So for now went with black jeans and jeans (walmart)- have bachelor buttons to make them work with suspenders. Got shirts from goodwill. Then found on amazon a irish grandfathers shirt (inexpensive) and then an engineer shirt (spendy) and an tuxedo shirt (has high collar and ribbed bib design surprisingly affordable). Got a couple of silk bandanas, a puff tie (spendy), and then the most expensive items, a long frock coat (but found on sale and with amazon dollars only cost me 50$), an oilskin duster, and a leather vest. Then an inexpensive mechanical pocket watch, a double fob chain (will use a Mogan silver dollar in a bezel for one fob and a faux mexican fire opal pendant as the other middle fob). Then I have usable black 12 inch motorcyle boots that work, but wanted some nice traditional cowboy boots so got some square toe Ariats (okay that was the spendiest). Then two cowboy hats one black and one ranch tan. Found a red paisley vest for cheap. And suspenders - tan and another black. 

If I  can't make some different outfits out of all that then I am hopeless. Figure can use the some of the shirts, pants, duster, boots, for more regular wear too. 

Not to get off topic, but....

Dressing the cowboy look and entombing yourself with all the firearm hardware and accessories is one thing, but heck...having to run to the john between stages and finding the zipper underneath all that......image.png.e106c02a52e88af56d4982a4b982d35b.png ..!:blink:

Archived