SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 1889 SxS 12 ga.

Bigfoot Miller

I’m thinking about getting a Cimarron 1889 coach gun, what can you guys and gals tell about them. Also if I can’t get my hands on a Stoeger what would be some other options to look at? Thanks in advance for the advice, looking forward to to the 2020 season!

I have a brand new Stoeger Coach Supreme that died after the 12th shell.
It broke the barrel lug, which means the entire gun has to be replaced.
This means a new serial number, another $75 FFL fee, and another 10 day waiting period here in CA.

I understand this failure is not that uncommon with Stoegers.
This is quite disheartening, to own a gun that cannot be repaired.

Stoegers are quite primitive in their internal finish.
If you polish any of this, your warranty is invalidated.

I have no experience with the others mentioned here, except they are no longer in production.
I am sensitive to this, as I had to throw away a perfect good pair of cordless drills because I couldn't get parts for them.

I understand the Cimarron TNN type guns are in current production.
Whether or not they can be serviced... I do not know.

I own a Cimarron 1889 basically by accident. I have $0.00 invested in it and I still think I got a bad deal. 

In all honesty they are not completely unworkable but for the price I feel there is better money to be spent. A shooter could get a raced up Stoeger from a reputable Smith for the cost of a stock 1889 that would be a struggle to shoot a match with. The specimen I own is from very early in production. Perhaps things have changed.

Just my thoughts. If you want one by all means get one. Heck, I got one... Cheap

A few years ago at EOT, I sat and watched Jared from Longhunter explain to Joe from Cimarron piece by piece what needed to be done to the Daudson shotgun.  He said that they had the potential to be as good as the best in the game.  Unfortunately, they were just too inconsistent from one gun to the next, plus a shortage of spare parts probably didn't help.

My "Cowboy Deluxe" is made in Turkey by the same Folks that made Weatherby's  SxS guns ...

It has Hard Chromed Bores and Chambers  barrels are 18.5 inches and Choked IC in both barrels...

I have been using it for 90% of my shooting for the past 2 seasons, I still love me other guns as they are in sweet 16 ga.

Clean-up is fast and Slick ( I shoot FCD )and the shells come out of the chambers right Slick...

IT is made by Huglu ,, It came in a heavy duty " Take down Case" with the barrels  and action in separate Velvet Socks ...

It hasn't giving even One hint of trouble ....

I wish they made it in 16 ga. with 22 inch barrels ,,,,,, But then the world would be perfect !!!

Jabez Cowboy

I have had a Stoeger 20 gauge for 2 decades. I use it for a loaner to newbies along with .38 S& W Special revolvers and revolver. I must be lucky because it still works!  :P I also use it for Scout CAS  along with a .22 rimfire rifle and  revolvers. Newbies and Scouts are not exactly models of gentle handling their guns!  :rolleyes:

Dang I sure feel lucky, I have two Stoeger supreme coach shotguns and all I have had to do is replace the firing pins in one and they have been heavily used for five years, guess you never know.  SCJ

I figure the Stoeger thing is just the luck of the draw.
Mine came with a 5 year warranty, which I can keep using every time it breaks.
It only costs me $75 in FFL fees, a 10-day wait and 2 trips to the FFL each time they replace the gun with a new serial...

The bummer:  I can't slick this gun up at all, or it voids the warranty.
I could install my stainless firing pins, then replace them with stock should it have to go back in again.
But changing the stock angle is out as well... etc.

Archived