SASS Wire Forum

Wind flags for WInter Range Long Range events - would you want them?

I have received some comments about wanting wind flags for the Winter Range Long Range events.

The winds are variable during the day, especially if there is nearby storm activity.

Would wind indicating flags be useful for the 300 yard single shot, lever gun, and 540 yard Bison events?

On short ranges like 300 a flag at 150 or200 would work. There is almost no mirage to be seen at WR. On the 540 a flag at 300 and near the target would be fine.  

As for flags I have about 12 strung out on my 4 long ranges. (move them around but use 6 on my 1650yd.)  To make it easy I made them 1/2 size. Get bright lime green cheap fabric at the store. 42" wide normally. Get a piece 3yds. long. Cut it on a diagonal to a point. Makes 2 flags. Sew a seam along the diagonal cut. On the 42" end sew a pocket about 1" wide and close one end.  Then the flag will slide down over a stick of 1/2" conduit. Drive a piece of 3/8" rebar about 30" long in the ground about a foot and slide the conduit down over it. When done just pull the rebar back out. these flags work GREAT and are cheap. 

I shot at Winter Range between 2012 and 2016 an thought that would be an excellent idea, especially for those shooters that have very little experience shooting at that range.

Line up a hundred or so Cowboy Shooters and “MAYBE” a hand full knows how to read the flags, wind speed and make the proper POA adjustments-especially with quartering winds and 12 & 6 o’clock Ergo, a waste of time at WR IMO

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Better still, don’t have any wind at Winter Range :wacko:

I requested that for WR 2019 and Long Range Wednesday's weather was pretty good.  A few days later all hail broke loose.

I don't recall buffalo hunters or soldiers setting up or consulting wind flags before they took a shot.   They had to develop the skill to  judge windage by reading the grass, etc from their shooting position.  It probably cost them some misses.  Is changing from that a change/modernization of  the sport itself?  Do you want that? 

Flags on both ends of the target lines and at the firing line. Most BPCR ranges have them. I have them on both the pistol and the rifle ranges in my personal range. It doesn't take long for a shooter to learn how to us them.  :)

At our place, we always set out flags on our "antelope" field. They help shooting and make the antelope curious.  My family has done that since the 1870s.  ;)

5 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

At our place, we always set out flags on our "antelope" field. They help shooting and make the antelope curious.  My family has done that since the 1870s.  ;)

I've known many antelope hunters to wave a flag while hunkered down, trying to bring in the curious critters,  but I've not heard of setting out flags in advance.   How do you go out and set out flags without scaring off the antelope?  Or is this a permanent thing? Just curious. 

The antelope have not learned a thing over the decades. We just set out the flags and leave them. There's no need to fine tune them daily.  :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

The antelope have not learned a thing over the decades. We just set out the flags and leave them. There's no need to fine tune them daily.  :rolleyes:

These antelope sound a lot like some politicians we know.  

Archived