SASS Wire Forum

Razafrackin reloader

Finagler 6853 Life

Too cold to work outside, storms are supposed to be coming in, the winter doldrums are setting in so I decide to go to the man cave, clean, organize some and maybe set up a reloader and make some rounds.  I decided to do some .410s just because.  Got it set up, get my components organized, sort a few shells and get started.  Now it has been some time since I did .410 shells.  Prairie Wildcat was the last one to shoot those and she hasn't shot .410 in around 10 years.  Get myself re-acclimated and start out.  I get going and I know that the .410 can be finicky processing trying to get those BBs down that skinny little tube.  I try to listen to hear the BBs go down before I more the shell to the next station.  There I am moving right along and sumbich.  Just as I move the shell, BBs come pouring down.  I have 7 1/2 BBs pouring all over the place.  Rat bassalts.  So I start doing a few more, wiggle the handle when I raise it up, move it to the next station, trickle, trickle, trickle.  Arrrrg.

I need to get one of those vibrating thingees to attach to my press to keep the BBs from hanging up.  Now I have BBs all over the floor of the man cave.  Giant PITA.  Just thought I'd vent.  I'm going to send an email to MEC to find out what I can do differently and why one make of shell closes well and another crushes down.  I think I'll have a beer.

Mount your reloader in a cookie sheet.  It will contain the spills and help keep your blood pressure within acceptable limits.

Duffield

I feel your pain.

Best thing I ever did is buy a cookie sheet with tall sides and bolt it between the press and my bench.  Keeps shot and powder from migration all over the shop. I also clean the insides of the powder and shot drop tubes with a brass brush to remove any rust. When I am done reloading for a while, I coat the insides with a good rust preventative.  Remove it with carb cleaner before I start reloading again.

After reloading with BP I clean everything really well with hot soapy water and a stiff bristle brush. Paying special attention to the drop tubes and the charge bar.water and soap.

Different brands of hull have different internal volume due to the height of the base wad. Suspect the stack height of .410s are more sensitive to this.

If only you had a lead magnet...

I dropped about 1/2 pound of 7 1/2 shot in my garage a few years ago. When I was moving and cleaning my garage I was still finding them as I packed and moved stuff. 

Sad part is, I don’t even reload shot shells. A friend gave me a bag of shot and I dropped it. 

No, no, no.  The part that makes it bad is the drop tube is not a straight drop. It is like talking a 300 mag shell, cutting off the bottom, turning it upside down, elongating it and expecting shot to smoothly flow.  The shot must be hanging up at the shoulder. Anyway, it is a mess.  Where's my beer?

Archived