SASS Wire Forum

Shortening a 73 rifle barrel.

Chase Randall, SASS #45902

I cut both my 24"ers down to 20 1/2" or so with a hacksaw, square, draw file, etc - as far as I could go without losing the rotary dovetail and having to re-hang the mag tube. It's a little time consuming, but not particularly difficult. It's just awful hard to draw the hacksaw across that nice finish the first time. :lol: The most tedious part was leveling and cutting a new front sight dovetail.

1873_44-40.JPG

1873FrontSight.jpg

I have had Snake Oil George and Boomstick cut a 20" gun to around 18" for Sassy.  And, a number of years ago, particularly before the 20" guns were readily available, Cody C did several to my specs.....24" cut to 19" then crowned to a specific  crown that I liked.   If desired, while barrel is removed for the cut weight can be removed under forearm to lighten gun even more.

I had El Mulo Vaquero Shorten & half round one for me .Came out Great. Thats Griner Gun Works.in New Mexico.

Largo

16 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I cut both my 24"ers down to 20 1/2" or so with a hacksaw, square, draw file, etc - as far as I could go without losing the rotary dovetail and having to re-hang the mag tube. It's a little time consuming, but not particularly difficult. It's just awful hard to draw the hacksaw across that nice finish the first time. :lol: The most tedious part was leveling and cutting a new front sight dovetail.

1873_44-40.JPG

Nice work Mr. Johnson

17 hours ago, Chase Randall, SASS #45902 said:

Looking to have my 73 barrel cut down to 20'' or less.

Anyone had this done?  Who did the work for you?

Thanks,

Chase

I don't know if you shoot get to shoot with Three Cut, but he has shortened and crowned a 24" '73 to 18" for me and is currently taking down a 24" Marlin to 20".   He can do just about anything for you that you need.  He is quite talented.  Maybe it comes from building those race cars...

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Less Hassle = YES.  Less Expensive = NO.

Also a lot less fun.  My Evil Twin, Mr. Hacksaw MacGurk likes to play too 

Yeah, my evil twin Dremel McGougemaker loves to play too. I hate that bastard. :angry:

It is almost never less expensive to buy a new gun instead of change the one you have, assuming you do your own work. New guns involve the original cost, shipping, tax and FFL and California Dros fees. I already have a like new '73 I paid 800.00 for, hard to duplicate that.

In addition, to Nate Kiowa  words which agree a well done crown is crucial to accuracy as well resale value.

So, if your chopping skills missed the point with hacksaw, how do explain the weird tad less than 20" length at resale point.

czhen

Recent price check is $285 for a barrel for 73. Plus install.    Local gunsmith offered to cut original barrel for $100.       Will have to wait to decide if going to use.   No luck trying to sell locally     GW

Had one of mine done by Johnny Meadows and he did a fantastic job.

Cut from 20" to 17".  Handles grrreat

Jackrabbit Joe.

On 1/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, czhen said:

In addition, to Nate Kiowa  words which agree a well done crown is crucial to accuracy as well resale value.

So, if your chopping skills missed the point with hacksaw, how do explain the weird tad less than 20" length at resale point.

czhen

C, you are sure right about a good crown.  One of the special options I would have Cody do in those years of doing the 24" cuts for me was the installation of a rolled crown.  Back then we called them a "black powder" crown.  Theory was that it produced more of smoke ring dispersing more smoke to outside leaving better visibility in center.  After having numerous crowns such as this I was never convinced the validity of theory but they sure look cool.

On 1/12/2020 at 12:48 PM, Shooting Bull said:

Honest question: wouldn’t it be less expensive and less hassle to just buy a new one that’s 20” from the factory? 

You are probably right SB, but the start of this was sort of pre-20" 73 days, or at least before readily available.  Although I still have a couple of those cut 24s, I also have two Jim Bowie 20" 73s that I like as well, actually may even favor the weight of 20" guns.  1" is not much added weight but they also have addition of weight that was removed in 24" gun conversion (under forearm).

Incidently, When the even shorter 73s came out (carbines), I had Cimarron send one to Cody to do his magic on.  Very nice but I found them just to light in weight for me, but for ladies, or others,  in search of less weight in rifle they were good for a sale. 

Archived