SASS Wire Forum

EMF Great Western II Californian review.

Locoweed

I recently purchased a EMF Great Western II Californian with a 5 1/2" barrel and I am very impressed with the quality of the revolver. This is made by Pietta. It has a floating firing pin, pressed in recoil plate and walnut grips that have a very nice flame to it. Four clicks when you cock the hammer. Sights are of the wider variety for easier sighting.

It also has a hand spring setup similar to what Ruger uses with a coil spring and detent instead of the leaf spring on the hand. No more broken hand springs.

The only thing is that the base pin is an extended type with two grooves for the cross pin. This is sort of a safety mechanism that prevents the hammer from contacting the primer. For authenticity, this is easily fixed by cutting it to the proper length or you can buy an aftermarket base pin. Or if you want you don't need to do anything and leave it as is.

Now to get to the range...

49368467523_e051d1b649_b.jpg
49369140562_579af3a971_b.jpg
49369141297_7f20260e22_b.jpg
49368466408_48873263cd_b.jpg
49368467998_14389fcd06_b.jpg
49368465128_c9435da382_b.jpg

That is beautiful.

I’m eager to see your range report.  Hopefully your point of impact will be closer to point of aim than my old pair of GWs were.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair in 44WCF. I have had  them for several years and had great service from them. Great guns. They are the pair blowing smoke and fire in the pic to the left.

10 hours ago, Lead Monger said:

Measure the diameter of the base pin. If it is .250” you can get a Colt or Belt Mountain base pin that has a single notch and will not rotate in the frame.

I have a pair and Colt base pins won't fit. Uberti ones fit perfectly though.

I have not handled any of the Pietta 1873 SAA  Clones myself. 

But I have read they made the Trigger guard too small and it's a little tight for bigger hands .

What do you think ?

1 hour ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I have not handled any of the Pietta 1873 SAA  Clones myself. 

But I have read they made the Trigger guard too small and it's a little tight for bigger hands .

What do you think ?

I think that the GWII are excellent guns, and as I wear a size 11 glove (XXL) the trigger guard is not smaller or of any describable difference. 
I speak from 1st hand experience ..... :lol:

Captain Clark, did you do anything to your Great Westerns after you got them other than shoot them?  I am going to pick up a pair of Califorians with Alchamista II hammers next week.  Outlaw Gambler was able to get me a consecutively numbered pair in 44-40 with 4.75" barrels.  I am wanting to shoot FC and got them to pair with my 44-40 rifle.  How is their point of impact as compared with point of aim?

9 hours ago, Tracker Jack Daniels,58780 said:

Captain Clark, did you do anything to your Great Westerns after you got them other than shoot them?  I am going to pick up a pair of Califorians with Alchamista II hammers next week.  Outlaw Gambler was able to get me a consecutively numbered pair in 44-40 with 4.75" barrels.  I am wanting to shoot FC and got them to pair with my 44-40 rifle.  How is their point of impact as compared with point of aim?

Mine wear the checkered slim grips. They are not consecutively numbered, but a few thousand apart. One shoots perfect to the point of aim, the other shot low 6 O’clock when held on center. That was easy to correct, windage is good on both mine. They have had  the barrel cylinder gap opened up when I was shooting FC, which helped negate  cylinder drag. Had  the front sight blades gold plated at EOT few years ago which really makes them pop to my eyes!  I’ve won a couple buckles with them set up like this! The only difference between them is the checkering style on the hammers which is really only a visual thing but no performance difference to me. Yup, I’m a happy EMF customer :)

I love mine in 45 Colt, I put Altamont grips on them and Belt mountain base pins on them, other than that I just took em apart, cleaned them really well and been shooting em for the last 2 years and just love em....sold my Vaqueros that’s just didn’t fit me and I couldn’t be happier.

F5C5CAB1-2079-4C95-A3FD-401B9C0D800C.jpeg

Archived