SASS Wire Forum

Going Under the Knife (again) (and again)

Tequila Shooter

Well Pards this Tuesday I'll be having surgery again :unsure:.  A year and a half ago I had to have my right shoulder rebuilt, now it's time for both my arms, thankfully it'll be done one at a time.  Saw my surgeon yesterday and he said that from my elbow to wrist will be splinted for 2 weeks, then it'll be about 4 weeks (hopefully) of recovery, after that the left arm will be done and the process will be the same.  I'm not complaining about getting the operation, the nerve damage is not getting better, and I'm tired of being in pain.  IMHO the VA is good at working with wounded Vets to get them as better as they can be.

My only concern is that I won't be able to shoot during all that time.  I can't practice shotgun loading or shucking, the best I'll be able to try is practicing shooting off hand duelist.  If anyone has any practice suggestions I'd sure like to hear'em.   

Suggestions ... ummm ...

(scratches head)

(frowns)

(considers)

Wa'l ... I believe it was a Mafia hit man who told me once that free advice was generally worth the price you paid for it ... so it's a good thing I couldn't come up with much ...

I'll be standing up on my knees for you, pard, but as far as free advice, take your pain meds 30 minutes before rehab/PT and you'll be the better for it!

Best wishes for successfully surgery and a speedy recovery.  My only suggestion for shooting duelist is to get a Ruger, and dryfire, concentrating on a decent sight picture, and do NOT try to hold the picture longer than a couple of seconds, so you don't fatigue  your arm and shoulder.  After squeezing the trigger, try to hold the sight picture for a second or so (follow through).

Tequila,

sure hate to hear about your arms and the upcoming surgery.   But, I'm glad the VA is working for you.

I don't have any 'shooting & recovery' advice but take it easy on yeowndangself.    

A few weeks here and a few weeks there for proper recovery is a small thing when it comes to the

rest of your life of being able to function with both arms and being pain free.

So take it easy and get well soon.

AND..... thanks for your Service.

..........Widder

I would recommend watching Westerns and leaving the guns alone until you are healed up enough AND (key words here) the Doc says it’s okay to play with tour toys. ;)

Guess how I know to give this advice?
I fooled around and had to have my left shoulder redone because I didn’t follow the Doc’s advice. When he went in the second time there was Nothing to work with so he removed ALL the cartilage from my shoulder to keep it from binding up in there. The socket of the joint is so badly damaged that I am not a candidate for an artificial shoulder. 

I should have listened to the doctor and things might be okay now. Good thing I shoot long guns right handed. 

Chase, best wishes for a successful surgery and swift recovery!

Cheyenne, BTDT. I had surgery for Kienbock's Disease and to replace my thumb's basal joint with a tendon graft. It was my right hand and I'm right handed. Then, there was the time I fractured my humerous, which wasn't funny.;)

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

FWIW

Got a semi-serious wound in dominate hand in RVN 

hardest thing for me was wiping my butt 

just saying 

Ranger - Funny enough when I had my shoulder surgery it was months before I could use my right (dominant) arm, I became ambidextrous real quick.  :blink:

TC do all the rehab thoroughly, be patient and come back stronger than before. Or you could use the Imis method and watch westerns and eat ice cream...or something in between. Take care

Imis

1 minute ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

TC do all the rehab thoroughly, be patient and come back stronger than before. Or you could use the Imis method and watch westerns and eat ice cream...or something in between. Take care

Imis

Thanks Imis, but I thought the "ice cream" method of recoup'ing was patented by @Tennessee williams and the "'nanner splits"  LOL 

I'll keep you in my thoughts and meditations.

My only practice suggestions are to practice your surgeon's recovery suggestions.

Well, sounds like you're gonna be out the use of one arm for 6 weeks. Then the other arm for 6 weeks. So, you'll be able to dry fire all that time with the non gimpy arm. Now, you won't be able to hold a full glass of water in your off hand while you're drawing and firing and trying not to spill it like I do, but beggars can't be choosers. 

What I did after I got a cracked knuckle on my hand from punching a bear to save those kids a while back was get up next to a wall and do a hand stand. Once I was up there I'd just do 50 or 60 one arm push-ups. You dont want to over do it right off the get go. Just make sure you keep track of how many you do, and do the same amount on the other arm. You dont want to walk around looking all crooked like widder. 

I do hold the nanner split trademark, but Imis pays me royalties to use it, so all is good!

I hope all goes well with the surgery and you have a quick recovery. If you need anything, let me know. I'll be over here half way across the country.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 5:54 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Chase, best wishes for a successful surgery and swift recovery!

Cheyenne, BTDT. I had surgery for Kienbock's Disease and to replace my thumb's basal joint with a tendon graft. It was my right hand and I'm right handed. Then, there was the time I fractured my humerous, which wasn't funny.;)

You do know they call it a funny bone because when you hit it everybody else laughs.

TC:

Depending upon which arm is OOC first, get with TN Williams and ask to borrow his

Right Hand or Left Hand spoon.

He actually has a spoon designed for each hand that allows a sufficient amount of ice cream

on the spoon without any dripping off, depending upon which hand is holding it.

Hey, I don't make this stuff up.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

You do know they call it a funny bone because when you hit it everybody else laughs.

I don't remember anyone laughing when I hit mine at work, sat down, hit my head, and passed out. Definitely not funny, except the next day when one of my co-workers was jealous that I regained consciousness with a plethora of handsome fire-fighters looking down at me. :lol:

49 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I don't remember anyone laughing when I hit mine at work, sat down, hit my head, and passed out. Definitely not funny, except the next day when one of my co-workers was jealous that I regained consciousness with a plethora of handsome fire-fighters looking down at me. :lol:

Sounds like you need a foam rubber hat and sleeves so you don't hurt yourself.  Of course then you wouldn't have met those "handsome fire-fighters"  ;) :D

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

22 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

Sounds like you need a foam rubber hat and sleeves so you don't hurt yourself.  Of course then you wouldn't have met those "handsome fire-fighters"  ;) :D

Sounds almost like it was planned. I will be glad send you foam rubber hat and some packing bubble wrap:D

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone is interested but just in case...had the surgery and it went well.  Recovery on the other hand (pardon the pun) has been a mixed blessing.  The brace and wrapping caused hot spots and breakdown of the skin on the inside of my forearm.  The itching got so bad that I went back to the doctor a week early and he took everything off.  He said it's healing well, but not to push it and give it some rest.  I had forgotten what it was like to have feeling in my hand and I'm enjoying be pain free in my right hand.  And because I'm a glutton for punishment I went ahead and scheduled to have my left arm done next week.  So next Tuesday I'll start the whole thing over again, I just hope my right arm stops itching by then.  ;)

2 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

I don't know if anyone is interested but just in case...had the surgery and it went well.  Recovery on the other hand (pardon the pun) has been a mixed blessing.  The brace and wrapping caused hot spots and breakdown of the skin on the inside of my forearm.  The itching got so bad that I went back to the doctor a week early and he took everything off.  He said it's healing well, but not to push it and give it some rest.  I had forgotten what it was like to have feeling in my hand and I'm enjoying be pain free in my right hand.  And because I'm a glutton for punishment I went ahead and scheduled to have my left arm done next week.  So next Tuesday I'll start the whole thing over again, I just hope my right arm stops itching by then.  ;)

Having had two shoulder surgeries on my left, and four on my right,  I’m thrilled for you!  

You’re a warrior beast (and maybe a bit of a raconteur?) and a gentleman as well.  :)

Keep us posted!

That’s good news, overall. I am glad you’re healing up. I hope and pray things keep going well and you heal up quickly. 

I have to set up an appointment for my own wrist surgery. I had to put it off due to my bike crash last summer. 

Hope you make a full recovery soon. 

When my dad had shoulder surgery a few years ago, he shot the matches with 5 pistols. He use a cross set up for pistols, staged 2 pistols (5 rnds ea) for rifle and 1 staged pistol (4 rnds) for shotgun. Wasn't very fast and missed a few, but he didn't miss out on the fun. The match officials were very accommodating in this respect. Obviously this wouldn't be permitted at a major match but with monthlies, I would think that most (if not all) match directors wouldn't have a problem with it. Never know until you ask.

Hope you heal up real soon so you can go healed.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Ain't you too young to have all these defects, TC?

Most people would say so but after everything I put my body through for 24 years in the military I'm about average.  I'm not looking forward to the surprises the next few years might hold, but I'm ready to deal with whatever comes my way.  Thanks to a fantastic wife, and knowing that I did all this in service to our country.

1 hour ago, Tequila Chase said:

Most people would say so but after everything I put my body through for 24 years in the military I'm about average.  I'm not looking forward to the surprises the next few years might hold, but I'm ready to deal with whatever comes my way.  Thanks to a fantastic wife, and knowing that I did all this in service to our country.

We're pullin' for you, brother.

19 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

My shoulder I was going be out anyway so had bunions on both feet done. guess I'm a glutton too.

9 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

I really appreciate what you went through to serve our country, and I thank you.

Were M-113s involved?

Duffield

18 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I really appreciate what you went through to serve our country, and I thank you.

Were M-113s involved?

Duffield

They were before my time.  I'm OIF/OEF vintage.

Archived