SASS Wire Forum

Sure fire way to not lose your car

Rye Miles #13621

When I sold my 96 Rav-4 I photo and said it had two problems. First was a photo of the stick shift. Second was the photo of the crank windows. My best buddy bought the car. That was 6 years ago.

Sure wish my truck at crank windows.

I have a 81 Bronco and an 86 Silverado. The Bronco has the original window mechanism. I put three motors in the driver side door and 2 in the passenger on the Chevy.

I use the driver side motor constantly, as I prefer fresh air. Since I drive by myself, the passenger side motors probably have 2 hours total time. That's not two hours on the current motor - that's two hours total on the three motors that have been in that truck in the last 33 years.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

I have a 81 Bronco and an 86 Silverado. The Bronco has the original window mechanism. I put three motors in the driver side door and 2 in the passenger on the Chevy.

I use the driver side motor constantly, as I prefer fresh air. Since I drive by myself, the passenger side motors probably have 2 hours total time. That's not two hours on the current motor - that's two hours total on the three motors that have been in that truck in the last 33 years.

How are the gaskets/seals that rub on the window?  Sounds like you might be getting excessive amounts of water into the door cavity.....

LL

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

3 motors in 33 years and you are complaining? :blink:

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

3 motors in 33 years and you are complaining? :blink:

Three electrical motors in 33 years, vs the original crank assembly in the 39 year-old Bronco.

Yeah, I'm complaining. They didn't wear out. Average 40 minutes use per motor. They just quit.

LOL! This reminds me of when I was 16 and wanted my brother's car when he bought a new one. It was a '55 Chevy stick. I told my dad that my brother taught me to drive it. LOLOLOLOL! I just drove it without any lessons. I didn't have any wrecks.  The first car I bought myself was a '65 Mustang stick. By then, I knew how to drive one. Those were the days! B) ;)

I was preparing to donate my Corolla hatchback to my nurse daughter, then she started griping about it being a 5 speed.
I held up the keys, said, "Free car... take it or leave it."

She snatched the keys and bounced it down the road.
Eventually she got the hang of it.

Her older sister wanted to take her driver's test, but none of our cars passed muster with the DMV except my hotrod Dodge 4x4 power wagon.
Floor shift with grannie low.
The neighbor took her for her test, and an hour later she rolled back in, arm out the window, and the headers cackling... "Dad!!!!!  I passed!"
This one is the navy officer, who has at least 1 ticket in 49 out of 50 states... works hard, plays hard, and can drive anything.

I told all three of 'em "Learn to drive stick"
You cannot be out in the rough, and your man gets injured, and all you can do is stand there and cry because you can't drive a stick.
Load him up, get behind the wheel.
Drive.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

8080FFC2-1D57-4DB7-AED7-F38D6A0F03BD.jpeg

Looks like a ticket magnet but I'd loooooooove to have one, stick or auto. Nice car! :D

I learned to drive in a '69 Volkswagon Beetle. I'm surprised the my stepfather didn't get whiplash teaching me to drive a stick. Since then, I have owned quite a few vehicles with a standard transmission. I like them but they are a PITA in the city, give me an automatic anytime. I'm amazed at how many younger people don't know how to use a stick. 

My first car was a '61 Falcon 3 on the tree. Still love a stick, but prefer to plow snow with the  automatic. The Missus started with a stick Camaro!

'64 Fairlane three-on-the-tree.

Taught my daughter in my 69 Ford pickup. Also three-on-the-tree. Told her she needed to learn how to pump her own gas, check and add oil, change a tire, and drive a standard. You weren't considered a driver if you couldn't do that. You might never need to do any of them, but you damn sure need to know how.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 11:08 AM, Alpo said:

Three electrical motors in 33 years, vs the original crank assembly in the 39 year-old Bronco.

Yeah, I'm complaining. They didn't wear out. Average 40 minutes use per motor. They just quit.

I've had my Jeep XJ for 15 years, and I'm on my third driver's side motor and second passenger's. I agree they simply don't last.

Learned to drive stick on a test drive of the first truck I bought new, an 89 Nissan.  Put over 300k on that truck.  The sticker price was $5260...and I had to pay extra for the rear bumper.   Wish I could have seen my own face when I opened the hood and realized there were 8 spark plugs in that 4 banger!  

Archived