SASS Wire Forum

Three and three quarter MILLION mustang

Chili Ron

Howdy,

The family that bought Steves  Mustang for 3500 finally gave in and sold

it at auction for $3.74 million.

Ford has turned out half hearted copies over the years.

I drove one once, it was sure fun but not the real thing.

And it was loud.

Be careful of old muscle cars as some folk bondo right over rust.

Best

CR

Personally, I think that anyone that spends that kind of money for a car just isn’t too bright in many ways. 

Oh sure, one can assume they are intelligent as they have acquired that wealth somehow but wealth doesn’t mean they aren’t outright stupid in other ways. 

As perhaps the most sought-after movie car in history, driven by one of the most famous actors in the quintessential movie chase scene, I don't find that price surprising; the only real issue is whether it will hold its value (or grow) as the car-fancier population ages, and folks forget (maybe) about Bullitt.  I tend to believe the buyer can double his money within 10 years.

LL

Howdy,

One day I bought stock for 10 a share.

a couple years later I sold for 60 a share.

Brilliant? NO??

Now its around 200 a share or so....

There is no limit on the upside...…...

Best

CR

35 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

One day I bought stock for 10 a share.

a couple years later I sold for 60 a share.

Brilliant? NO??

Now its around 200 a share or so....

There is no limit on the upside...…...

Best

CR

And then, some folks bought Enron......

LL

I like the fact that they opened the bidding with $3,500.00, same price as they paid for the car. I just hope that it came with the "original" 8 speed manual transmission.:rolleyes:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ap-top-news/2020/01/10/bullitt-mustang-sells-for-374-million-at-florida-auction

I used to have a 1948 Ford Sportsman, you know the wooden body convertible. They only made about 35 of the 48’s, they were actually 47’s titled as 48’s, but anyway it had a flathead V8 which I overhauled and I added a Columbia 2 speed rear end, correct for that year because it was a Ford factory installed option. I hauled my four kids around down here a few times when they were down from Wyoming and it was a lot of fun. One September weekend I drove it over to Wavecrest a wooden body car gathering over in Encinitas. The wood was pretty much rotted off and driving it down the road people got visions of the Beverly Hillbillies. I pulled into Wavecrest and every eye in the place was on that car as I drove to my parking space. To say I caused a riot might be a little strong but man did people want to check out that car. That was a Saturday and there was so much interest I brought it back the next day, Sunday.

Well there were about 6 or 7 guys wanting to buy it, one of them was a big car dealer out of L.A. and another was the guy that founded Knapp (I think that’s how it’s spelled) shoes. The offers were good, far more than I’d dreamed and I drove the car home that night. The L.A. car dealer was really putting on the pressure over the next few weeks, he had an extensive collection of Marmon Harrington wagons and wanted to add a Sportsman to the stable. One day a guy called that had seen the car at Wavecrest and told me he’d like to bring his brother down to check out the car so we set it up and they came down and we drove it around and ended up at a BBQ joint out here for dinner. We talked a lot about the car and how much it was going to cost to redo all of the Birdseye maple with the special joinery that Henry or his kid insisted on when the wooden bodies were built. The best estimate I had gotten was $78,000.00 and that was in 1996!!! Well I had about $23,000.00 in the car and the one brother told me to name a crazy price and I did and it was a lot more than what I had in it and he agreed! About four years later I visited Wavecrest and there they were with the Sportsman, fully restored to factory correct condition, just absolutely beautiful. I saw one just about like it a few years ago on Hemings and they were asking $750,000.00 for it.

2 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

When mentioning this I was surprised how many young folks never saw the movie.

Best

CR

In another 10 years it will be just another old car that was used in a movie no one remembered staring someone no one ever heard of.

7 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

I believe that pony has a 4 speed in it, not an 8 speed. Provided it's the original tranny. I know the clutch had gone out, that's when the previous owner's Dad had parked it:blush:

I know but if you listen to the movie, you'd think it had 8 forward speeds.

On 1/17/2020 at 10:39 PM, Henry T Harrison said:

In another 10 years it will be just another old car that was used in a movie no one remembered staring someone no one ever heard of.

Not sure about that.  James Dean died in 1955.  Other than an occasional showing of "Rebel without a Cause" in art cinemas, it is rare to see a Dean movie.  But if magically someone found the remains of "The Little Bastard", Dean's Porsche 550 Spyder, I would bet that even with the accident damage, that wrecked car would bring an easy $4 Million, if not more.  There's a mystical aura around celebrity owned/driven sports cars, and it far outlives the celebrities.  

LL

Maybe someone of our generation might spend that kind of money but today’s millennials don’t have a clue who James Dean was and very few have ever heard of Steve McQueen or Bullitt. They might recognize Bullitt as a bourbon but that’s it. Paul Walker’s BMW collection did just go for a decent price at Barrett Jackson but mostly for their rarity rather than the connection to a dead celebrity 

On 1/18/2020 at 3:03 AM, Cypress Sun said:

I know but if you listen to the movie, you'd think it had 8 forward speeds.

Brought to you by the same people who invented the 20 rd Colt SAA and 500 rd M-16s.

JHC

anyone remember the 97 shotgun the badguys (in that charger) were killin people with?

i gotta agree with the guys posting it’ll depreciate, the up-coming generation isn’t even that interested in driving

it’ll go the route of Errol Flynn’s yacht “Zaca”

I restored and showed vintage Mustangs ( '68 coupe, '69 Mach 1, and a '67 coupe I still have) for years. At the time finding the sole surviving Bullitt Mustang (it is a 1968 "S" code 390 v8 4spd) was the dream of many Mustang collectors but to pay 3.5 mil? Nah, I'll take a '69 Boss 429 pocket a ton of difference and have a whole lot more fun.  Interesting movie trivia, McQueen did his own driving for the chase. The part where he misses a corner, stops, backs up then smokes the tires up the hill was not supposed to happen. He blew the turn. The director thought it looked good so the scene stayed. Look close and as the car stops you can see him cuss as he jams it into reverse!

There are actually two surviving Mustangs. The other one was used in most of the dangerous chase scenes and was pretty well banged up at the end, and went to a junkyard. Somebody apparently salvaged it as it turned up in a Mexican boneyard a couple of years ago. It will be restored as there's little remaining except the bare shell and suspension at this point.

41 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

And do not forget a pair of Steve McQueen's personnel sunglasses sold at auction in 2006 for $70,000.  If you have deep pockets how much is owning a piece of Mr. Cool worth?

If I was rich out of this world.....I'd wouldn't mind owning a item that Steve McQueen owned. Come on, the guy was a Hollywood bad ass that could back up the walk. Did most of his own stunts, had the most beautiful women on earth on his arm, raced his own cars, saved men in the Marines, commanded the highest salaries in Hollywood and lived life to the fullest. What's not to like.

All little about Mr. McQueen.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen

Archived