SASS Wire Forum

Schofield revolvers

Dusty Boots

Long ago, I shot a "True Grit/Iron Man"-style annual match (reloading revolvers and rifle).

I chose to use a Schofield paired with a NMA/58 Remington with a cartridge conversion cylinder.

I asked if I could just reload the Schofield 2X instead of dismantling the Remington to unload/reload.

"NO!" was the (not unexpected) reply.

;)

I too would agree to try before you buy. My first pair of pistols are Ruger New Vaqueros in .45 Colt. I came into a a pair of Italian replica Remington 1890 Police pistols. The next club match I shot the Rugers, but shot the final stage with the Remingtons and was quite a bit faster with no misses. They just seem to fit my hands better and maybe balance and point better for me.

Bottom line is that there are many choices. All of the CAS shooters I know would gladly let you try their pistols to help you find what works. I'm sure it will start to become obvious which pistols you like, but take notes as well. 

I’ve done a bit of Cowboy Action Shooting with my pair of Hideout Model Schofields.  You can see ‘em in action here: 

https://youtu.be/hex8FH1PBwU

I haven't shot a CAS match for a very long time, but I keep my cowboy guns and take them to the range frequently. I expect there a few of us who don't shoot matches anymore but still love the single-action revolvers and the lever-action rifles for regular range shooting.

I bought an Uberti .44 Russian when I got into the game 15 years or so ago; I was just really learning about single-actions then and fell for the style and looks of that revolver. I also find the top-breaks in general to be of interest; from S&Ws through Webleys….

So I still take the Russkie to the range often. It has all of the handling shortcomings so well-described by Driftwood and others, but they don't matter for range shooting. The gun is very accurate, low recoil, lots of fun to shoot, and almost always draws interested comment from others at the range.

Of course, the .44 Russian also begins the story of the .44, through the Special and the Magnum. For some ineffable reason, it proved an inherently accurate round. In my case, the gun practically takes the boolit into the black without much effort on my part.

I'd like to add that I very much enjoyed Driftwood's presentation. Over the years his posts here have been both of real value and real interest to read.

He's a clip of me shooting my Schofields at the 2017 Georgia State match.  A fabulous match, by the way, if you haven't been yet, you should put it on your bucket list.

I didn't stop using them because they were "slow", I stopped using them because I couldn't depend upon them.  As Colorado Coffinmaker said in an earlier post, they did indeed let me down one time too many and that was it. 

I used them for 7-8 years and did very well with them.  I enjoyed using them and the "cool" factor that came with them, but I just reached my limit.

Best,

Dutch

On 1/14/2020 at 1:30 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

So I still take the Russkie to the range often. It has all of the handling shortcomings so well-described by Driftwood and others, but they don't matter for range shooting. The gun is very accurate, low recoil, lots of fun to shoot, and almost always draws interested comment from others at the range.

Of course, the .44 Russian also begins the story of the .44, through the Special and the Magnum. For some ineffable reason, it proved an inherently accurate round. In my case, the gun practically takes the boolit into the black without much effort on my part.

I'd like to add that I very much enjoyed Driftwood's presentation. Over the years his posts here have been both of real value and real interest to read.

This exactly.  When I’m shooting .44s I’ll more than likely have my chopped up Russians on me.  They’re by far my most accurate wheel guns.

On 1/13/2020 at 6:27 PM, Baltimore Ed said:

Enjoyed your video Jedi. The Force is strong with your padewan.

Thank you Ed!  She's a good kid and knows her way around firearms :)

One of my best shooting buddies was shooting a scholfield at a match and reached a little far forward for the hammer and unlatched it. The pistol swung open and all the cartridges flew out. We all had a great laugh on him

Archived