SASS Wire Forum

12ga Magtech hulls w/ plastic wads?

Tyrel Cody

I load my brass 12ga. with the same things as plastic hulls, plus the overpowder nitro card and overshot card.

60gr FFG,

nitro card,

red wad,

1 1/8 oz shot,

overshot card.

I get better patterns with the plastic wads versus fibre.

18 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Graf and Sons still list this wad in stock.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/75247

I saw that. BPI has it too. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/mobile/PT1044-10ga-wad-250_bag/productinfo/222PT1044/

23 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

@Warden Callaway where did you get the hand priming tool? Is there a current production one made? 

Antique.   You can find then on eBay.

5a8c7fe27bb7e_Prime12gaugebrasshullsFeb2018.jpg.d4569f1d8625a86e8d8c6b1890b8e914.jpg

This wotks much better.  RCBS 12 gauge shell holder on top of Lee priming post.

I would have to go along with the 10g plastic wads.  It is the only thing that I use in my BP shells with all brass hulls.  Makes for a nice snug fit. Carry a few of these easy to spot loads when from past experience, there might be some tough KD.  1 5/8 lead shot will flatten any and all from an open bore SG

When I first started loading Magtech, I tried using the same plastic wads I'd been using in me AA hulls.   They didn't work very well.   As others have said, perhaps using the larger wads would work, but I never thought of that.   I just switched to the fiber wads and everything has been fine since then.   And yes, I load them with smokeless.

I use 8 gauge Walters wads for my Rocky Mountain Cartridge ten gauge 3-1/2" brass shells. I "glue" the overshot wads with Duco Cement.  :)

The only 12Ga I shoot anymore are MagTech All Brass 12Ga hulls.  12Ga wads as used in plastic hulls just rattle around in Brass hulls.  Not a grand Idea.  I like the BPI1044 wads although I cut the petals back (kitchen shears) for a 1 Oz payload.  Work a treat!!

The 11 Ga. Nitro overpowder card I use fits very snugly and makes the loose 12ga plastic wads a non-issue.  More than one way to skin that cat, like a lot of BP stuffe.  ;)

Archived