SASS Wire Forum

A2 Rifles

Dude Slade

Anyone else into old-school A1/A2 rifles? It's been hard to pry my brain away from CAS lately.... but I have a few stripped lowers laying around, so I've decided to build an A2. Ordered a stripped upper from Brownells, already have the right stock and handguard, ordered an LPK, gas tube, and BCG yesterday, just need to get the barrel and should be good to go. I dunno what it is about it, but to me an AR just looks right with that fixed carry handle! The rifle length gas and 20" barrel just shoots so nice as well... not much to not like IMHO.

Dude

I was going to build an A2 over a year ago...then I moved to California. There is just something about the carry handle set up that is lost with the modern iterations of the AR.

27 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

like these?

colt family reunion 017.JPG

AWESOMESAUCE!!!! :wub:

Picked up one of those awhile because I wanted a light carry around arm.  Rest of my AR's are heavy barrel flattop beasts.    Always had to laugh about AR's.  When they came carry handle we mounted scopes on top, then had to raise the check piece to get a check weld.  No the come flat top and now we have to add risers to raise the scope high enough to see thru.   We never seem to be happy     GW

My experience with the AR, or rather the M-16, was boot camp in 1973.  Never bothered to own one since,

until getting ready to retire a few years ago.  Then I bought a FN-AR15 in A4 configuration, 20" bbl.

I wanted the removable hand-guard so that I could mount a scope for load development but retain the

iron sights for most of the time.  I'm probably going to use this for Appleseed KD and NRA high Power

matches.  The barrel is free floated using the Rock Island inner tube.

Of course way leads to way, so then I had to build a carbine version, with the short bbl and red dot sight. 

That's more useful in the house and for close quarters.  I have no illusions about playing door kicker

though.

Then a dedicated lower for my NC .22 top end!  That's my Appleseed gun and probably for some steel

plate matches.

FN-15-Rifle.thumb.jpg.677f1cdd3ba6d6c05e31a78f25cd69f8.jpg

IMG_3595-001.jpg

IMG_3597-001.jpg

I have a mid-lenth carbine, and a mock dissipator with mid-length gas. Those are cool, but they're not A2 cool! Daughter likes the old-school guns as well, and we got her an A3 with the detachable handle for Christmas a couple of years back, and she was over the moon. I will post pics when I get the new one finished!

I do find my A1 the most fun to shoot of virtually all my rifles. It's really hard to pick it up and not hear "Fortunate Son" playing in my head. It's pretty obvious that nostalgia for Vietnam-era guns and gear is the latest thing among gun nuts and militaria collectors. Of course the irony here is that you guys who are 'Nam vets probably don't feel the least bit nostalgic about any of it. <_<

Thank you for your service and sacrifice, and Welcome Home. :FlagAm:

My favorite was an AR15 flat top pistol with a Sig adjustable arm brace and an 8 inch barrel with a law tactical folder in 300 Blackout. Could load up 230 grain bullets at 1000 fps in one magazine and have another with 125 grain bullets at around 2,200 fps.  - add a red dot and flip up sights and you could fold it and throw it into a backpack. Loved the compactness and the versatility of the round. Depending on the bullet weight and make along with powder loading you could use it to shoot steel at short range without tearing up the steel, use it for self defense like a 45ACP or use it for hogs or even deer up to 300  yards.  Sadly living in Illinois was never able to throw a suppressor on it with the subsonic loads. Since they will soon be banned here, it and my other AR15's went to live with other friends and relatives in other states. Hopefully they are enjoying them.

Archived