SASS Wire Forum

Minding my own business . . . . .

Lawdog Dago Dom

Moments ago.

Having my coffee in the kitchen and reading the Wire.

8:02 AM. Landline phone rings. Looks like a local number.

Had to say "hello" twice (first bad indicator).

caller: "Sir, did you get the medicare benefit card we sent to you?"

(definitely not a midwestern accent, and said very quickly)

me: "What?"

caller: "Did you get the medicare benefit card we sent to you?"

me: "No, but did you get the drone President Trump sent to you?"

caller: click

Too soon?

had one cal last night wanting to give me an estimate on my rof repair. Told him that I already had a guy and he tried to tell me he could beat his price. When I mentioned that he worked for my neighbor who is a general contractor he hung up so fast I think he broke the sound barrier. :D

I had a guy from the IRS that said I was going to be arrested in 3 days if I didn't give him my SS# and make payment from my credit card.

I told him to take his phone and shove it up his A#@

He hung up!:lol:

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I had a guy from the IRS that said I was going to be arrested in 3 days if I didn't give him my SS# and make payment from my credit card.

I told him to take his phone and shove it up his A#@

He hung up!:lol:

I tell him to make sure he packs a tooth brush and a change of underwear as I am dug in like a tick and do not intend to go quietly. :ph34r:

I know that in the grand scheme of life that a nut calling you is down pretty far on the list, but it is a bit personal for me. When my father-in-law's health started declining, and he was diagnosed with Louie Body Dementia, little challenges became big. He would get these calls, allegedly from government agencies threatening him with arrest and fines. He did literally lose sleep over it, and then he would call us at all hours because he was afraid. So one or both of us would go into town and sit with him to calm him down. It was a bad time.

So my little sarcastic comments to these jerks when they call is my way of flipping them the bird for what they did to a real sweet guy. Plus, maybe wasting time with me keeps gives somebody else an extra moment or two of not getting these calls.

Lately I have playing a little game with these #@$holes. I used to insult their manhood  and their mothers. Now I pretend to go along. I give them the first three digits of a fake Social Security number  starting with a 9 - NO ONE"S SSN STARTS WITH A NINE. Look it up. Anyway, I give them the first three then play dumb like I forgot the number then I tell them I need to go find my SSN card. I lay the phone down and walk away for a few minutes.

When I come back, if  they are still there I  tell them "I can't find the card but I think the number  is 9xx-xx....No Wait that's  not right. WHAT"S THAT HONEY? MY CARD IS IN THE DRESSER? Okay, hang on...Give e a minute..." Then I put the phone down for another 5 minutes. No one has waited past this point. They have hung up by the time I get back so I am not sure what happens from there.  :D

https://www.ssofficelocation.com/social-security-number-prefix

:ph34r:`I have to have a land line to my retail store, so I get frequent 'opportunities' .....  Had the one where they pretend to be from the local utility (power company this time) and that I had to make immediate payment for past due bill or their representative, who was in the area, would soon show up and turn off our power.  Payment had to be made via prepaid card, and I should read them the # over the phone.

I told him to tell his representative to bring plenty of help, at least 3 days rations, and lots of body bags.

That was the end of that....

When they tell me they are canceling my ssn due to fraud, I tell them GREAT.  Can you go ahead and cancel everyone in my family to prevent more fraud?  They hang up.

My favorite is the arrest warrant.   I like to tell them to come on over now.  I'm ready. 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

When they tell me they are canceling my ssn due to fraud, I tell them GREAT.  Can you go ahead and cancel everyone in my family to prevent more fraud?  They hang up.

My favorite is the arrest warrant.   I like to tell them to come on over now.  I'm ready. 

I had the “IRS” guy tell me the US Marshals were entourage and would arrive anytime. 
I said “Wow, you’re right! They’re at my door now!”

The guy said “Really?” In a really surprised way and I said “Nope” and hung up. 
That was kinda fun. :D

ARRRGH!

Now, I just hang up.

Once upon a time, I tore my meniscus for the second time, sliding across the floor while packing stuff for our move. Then, the phone rang. While in excruciating pain, I answered. It was a bleeping sales call. I said you bleep, I'm on the  bleeping "do not call" list and I'm going to bleeping  report you, which I did.  I'm not sure whether I said all of the bleeps; but, I sure thought them 

I was, by then, at my desk and computer. I called Hubby, posted about it on the Belle Alley, and Kid Sopris (AKA Guardian Angel :wub: ) called and talked me through the mental and physical pain until Hubby got home to take me to Urgent Care. I ended up having surgery on my meniscus.

I often tell them to .... "Get a real job and stop calling people with stupid stuff".

Sometimes, I do tell them to 'WAIT' and I'll get the info they want.   BUT, I never get back on the phone OR 

I get back on the phone and laugh.

I NEVER say the word 'No' or 'Yes'.

I never answer questions for ANY survey, not even if ask if I listen to the radio, etc.....

Last week, a young man pulled into my driveway.  I went out to meet him and he handed me a bottle

of liquid detergent and started asking me about cleaning my carpet.

Told him I wasn't interested and handed him the stuff back.

He ask: have you had your carpet cleaned lately and I replied:   "I don't answer questions to strangers"

He ask:  I was just asking about cleaning carpet.   I replied:  "I don't answer ANY questions".

He said:  "So, if I were wanting to hire you for a job and ask you a question, you wouldn't answer my

questions?   I replied:   "Sorri, I ain't even gonna answer that question"

He got in his car and said:  "I can't believe this".   I replied:  "Oh, you can believe it".

True story.

..........Widder

When I have the time; 

I get one of those calls and let it go through to a person, let them go through their spiel, then say to THEM,

(best Indian accent), "Hello, this is Bob from microsoft, our technicians have determined that there is a problem with your computer."

That always get a laugh from the guys in the office.

I stopped answering those calls altogether, but one of the last ones was from someone selling life insurance.  (That was one of my trades for eleven years, so I know how to gouge them.)

Guy say that they have a policy that would be perfect for my wife, whole life (a rip off on its face) and that there no one could be turned down for any pre-existing condition.

I asked him to explain that again and he did.  I asked what it would cost for &25000.00 fora woman 70 years old .  He calculated it and told me.  I asked again about the pre-existing condition clause and was assured that they could not refuse her.

He asked if I had any other questions.  I said I'd like to find out where he got her name and number and he told me that "the industry" provides lists (Not true) at very low cost.  Told him I wanted to get the policy for my wife and wanted to confirm that she couldn't be refused.  He told me again that there were no pre-existing conditions that were not covered.

I old him to start writing and when I'd strung him along I mentioned that her pre-existing condition was that she had died three years before. He slammed the phone down so hard it could have been heard in New Yawk City. 

Now I just don't bother.  The entertainment value isn't enough to make it worth the effort.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:10 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Lately I have playing a little game with these #@$holes. I used to insult their manhood  and their mothers. Now I pretend to go along. I give them the first three digits of a fake Social Security number  starting with a 9 - NO ONE"S SSN STARTS WITH A NINE. Look it up. Anyway, I give them the first three then play dumb like I forgot the number then I tell them I need to go find my SSN card. I lay the phone down and walk away for a few minutes.

When I come back, if  they are still there I  tell them "I can't find the card but I think the number  is 9xx-xx....No Wait that's  not right. WHAT"S THAT HONEY? MY CARD IS IN THE DRESSER? Okay, hang on...Give e a minute..." Then I put the phone down for another 5 minutes. No one has waited past this point. They have hung up by the time I get back so I am not sure what happens from there.  :D

https://www.ssofficelocation.com/social-security-number-prefix

Why even give these knuckleheads any of your time?   If I don't recognize the number I don't bother answering the phone.

On 1/10/2020 at 3:19 PM, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I know that in the grand scheme of life that a nut calling you is down pretty far on the list, but it is a bit personal for me. When my father-in-law's health started declining, and he was diagnosed with Louie Body Dementia, little challenges became big. He would get these calls, allegedly from government agencies threatening him with arrest and fines. He did literally lose sleep over it, and then he would call us at all hours because he was afraid. So one or both of us would go into town and sit with him to calm him down. It was a bad time.

So my little sarcastic comments to these jerks when they call is my way of flipping them the bird for what they did to a real sweet guy. Plus, maybe wasting time with me keeps gives somebody else an extra moment or two of not getting these calls.

My next door neighbor, sweet lady of 87, got several messages on her phone saying she had only a few days to sign up for medicare. She was  worried and asked me to listen to the messages which she kept. It was someone trying to sell her a supplement to her medicare but made it sound like she was going to lose everything! I reassured her she was NOT going to lose her medicare! What a bunch of scumbags out there!:angry:

12 hours ago, punxsutawneypete said:

Why even give these knuckleheads any of your time?   If I don't recognize the number I don't bother answering the phone.

They call on my work phone. I need to answer it at work. All calls after work go to voicemail. May as well have fun with it. 

I have no cell service in farthest North Idaho so I have to have a home phone for cardiac reasons. When my caller ID shows a number I don't recognize, I let it go to voice mail. I have yet to have a message!  :)

On 1/11/2020 at 9:47 PM, punxsutawneypete said:

Every minute they spend on the phone with me is another minute they're not on the phone with someone who may fall for their garbage. 

Archived