SASS Wire Forum

Well at least around here all the newscasters are saying for example:  "There's a CRASH on I-71", it used to be accident! When did they change it to CRASH???

I guess it sounds better and makes you listen??:o

many accidents are not crashes, but most crashes are the result of negligence-that is to say someone didn't follow the rules of the road.  Lawyers for years have pushed for the usage of the term collision or crash to be used as appropriate, rather than giving people the idea that this stuff "just happens" which is the implication of the term accident.

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well at least around here all the newscasters are saying for example:  "There's a CRASH on I-71", it used to be accident! When did they change it to CRASH???

I guess it sounds better and makes you listen??:o

They've been doing that around here for about a year now. Accident doesn't attract as many ears as Crash. Due to all of the lawyer commercials on tv anymore, one day they won't use just Crash any longer. It will be Negligent Personal Injury Crash (or injuries) on I-71. The bright side will be that all of the drug companies will be there for you....unless you commit suicide, develop a groin rash, have sudden heart failure or one leg gets shorter than the other.

My bunch went to using the term "crash" or "traffic crash" about 15-20 years ago.  Not all crashes are accidents.  Our state program to record vehicular collisions that result in injury, death or property damage is called "e-crash".  

Good. The word "Crash" tells me it is someone's or something's  fault. The term "Accident" tells me that there is no blame or none is assigned. There is no traffic incident that doesn't have blame or a cause for the incident or "crash". There is no such thing as an accident. period. Every type of incident has a cause and an effect and blame that should  be assigned to someone or something. Even if "something" caused a crash or incident there is still someone to blame somewhere down the line.

Whether the newscaster is stating it's a crash or an accident,

what I find funny is when they are through reporting the incident they always end with:

image.png.a87675b2122f461961f9b531abd747d9.png  " Mary Robins, FOX 5 News reporting LIVE from somewhere in the city".

Unless she's a zombie, I would assume she is LIVE not DEAD.

..and yes, I know it's said to distinquish between LIVE or TAPED. Just say'in.

8 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

rather than giving people the idea that this stuff "just happens"

Got me off a jury once.  During voir dire (or however you spell it) the plaintiff's atty asked the potential jurors if they conformed to the theory of bleep happens.  When he got to me, I responded: sir, if you are asking me whether I know the difference between bleep happens and tort liability, yes, sir, I do.  Couldn't get me out of the box quick enough.

See, there was this Ukrainian air liner flying in Iran.  It crashed.  Then the Iranians said it was shot down with one of their SAM's, but it was an accident.  From this we know that "crash" and "accident" are sometimes synonymous and sometimes not.

The 1986 definition of a traffic accident (that I was given in the Police Academy) is an unintended event involving a motor vehicle that causes injury, death or property damage.  

Ain't semantics fun?

I got rear-ended this morning.  Lady talking on her cell phone after a snow storm on icy roads.  Very light tap: no evidence that my car had been hit, not even enough to disturb the dirt on the bumper, but her license plate folded into the front bodywork on her Soul. Probably a few hundred bucks.

She owned right up to it, told me she was on the phone and misjudged the distance.

Dumbass people.

11 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I disagree.  There are accidents where there is no negligence.  Deer are probably the Number 1 example, but there are others such as mechanical failures, road conditions etc.

Mostly they are crashes, but there are always exceptions.

I was talking about crashes because of human interaction. You definitely can’t blame an animal for getting into the road. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I've always wondered why Wrecks were described as "Accidents."  I always thought "accidents" were something to do with Puppies??

Actually a "wreck" would be a more sensible term. Crash sounds so dramatic!!:P

After my "wreak/crash/accident" on the 23 Dec where I took a nap while driving on California's I-5, I have come to the conclusion that...."Stupidity often comes with its own punishments."

My sternum (breast bone) in still sore from seat belt impact. 

Archived