SASS Wire Forum

Lighting in your reloading area - What do you use?

Oklahoma Dee

I seem to be unable to locate bright light bulbs that are BRIGHT!  Not soft and warm and affectionate.  LED's seem dull. 

My current setup is a series of extended/tall and bendable lamps that accept 120v bulbs.

What do you have that lights up your area brightly?  

I may even move toward a florescent type lamp - if it is bright.  

Any help, advise, or direction would be appreciated.

God Bless America - Land with the freedom to buy what one wants to.

I seem to be unable to locate bright light bulbs that are BRIGHT!  Not soft and warm and affectionate.  LED's seem dull. 

My current setup is a series of extended/tall and bendable lamps that accept 120v bulbs.

What do you have that lights up your area brightly?  

I may even move toward a florescent type lamp - if it is bright and flexible

Any help, advise, or direction would be appreciated.

God Bless America - Land with the freedom to buy what one wants to.

I load in the garage between two windows so I have ample ambient light during the day.  If I need to load at night, I use a portable Halogen work light.

I load in a corner of my garage, which has few windows and is not well lighted.  So directly above the outside of my bench I have a 2-tube 48" LED fixture that illuminates my side of all of the equipment.   I also keep a small LED flashlight handy, and I have a LED pen light mounted on my 650xl in front of the seating die, to enable me to visually check each case for powder charge.  That's in addition to the powder check. 

I used to have the overhead light mounted over the middle of the bench, but it left too much of my view of equipment in shadows, so I moved it out to the near edge. .  

I have four double tube 8' fixtures using led lamps in my reloading/cast shop.  I can't tell when it gets dark outside...   ceiling is about 8' high, and it measures 12'x20'  I also have Hornady's small strip of LEDs mounted to the upper support of my press so I can see down in my cases just a tad better... I'd post pictures, but Photobucket seems to have just quit working at all on this computer.  

I have a 4' 4 tube florescent over my work bench, a 2' square U-tube led over the reloading bench and a 4' 4-tube led over my desk/counter top bench/table. I've purchased the LED conversion tubes for the light over the work bench, but haven't converted it yet! I also use a magnifying swing/bend type incandescent light at the work bench.

I have an Ott Light floor lamp next to my reloading table.  The bulb provides true colors and plenty of illumination.  Ott makes some table top models that are less expensive.

https://products.ottlite.com/p-374-36w-pivoting-shade-floor-lamp.aspx

4ft LED Work Light from Lowes, Sam's, etc.  Been chaging out all bulbs for "daylight" LED so my old eyes can see.

Hope to see ya at WR.

JM

Howdy Dee...I have 4- 8' LEDs that light up the room and use flexable lights on all the benches to light up the area that I'm working in. Works for me....see ya soon

Faygo Kid

I put in the 4ft. double LED lights from Sam's Club a couple years ago and they work great. They have a couple of variations if I remember right. One was "Daylight" and the other was "Bright Light" or some such. I converted the 4 bulb 4 footer florescent in the laundry room to LED also. No more waiting for the ballast to heat up or any silly nonsense like that.

All said though, I still would like a small LED mounted to my turret press to eyeball the charge in the case better.

I load in the basement. I have two led desk lamps with extendable arms. I just found some about 12 inch long led strip lights on clamps at menards. They have usb ends on them. Giving me good light and I can move them around a bit

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I also have one of these:

https://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-550

Puts the light where you need it.

LL

YES to this! These are the bee's pajamas. 

I have overhead LED lights in my loading shed. My shed is thick wood logs for Holy Black protection.

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

I use candles and a coal oil lamp.

sb

That's old fashion.  I upgraded to kerosene lanterns.

I went to Walmart and picked up some 4 foot LED's to replace my florescent tubed lights, They are very bright and aren't effected by cold temps like the old lights. Plus they use a lot less electricity As the old units burn out they are replaced with LEDs. They were under $20.00 each.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-4-Ft-Led-Shop-Light-3200-Lm/530815091

Are your bulbs covered or exposed if your bulbs are covered remove the covers. The covers may be filtering the light emitted by the LEDs

When you buy the LED bulbs look at the color temperature they are. You want a bulb with a color temperature of 4000K to 5000K. This will be equivalent to a bright sunny day. This is also the color temperature recommended for kitchen lighting. Color temperatures in the 2500K to 3000K are often called soft white and are what you would use in your living room.

BTW don't buy bulbs higher than 5700K. I got some 6000K bulbs by accident and they are actually too bright and make my eyes tired after a short time..

I have a workshop with (3) work benches, one is used for reloading.  My shop is basically set up with several 4 foot florescent fixtures, but then I have 3 or 4 "task lights" set up with 150 watt flood lights that I can put a lot of light where and when I need it.  I just use several of these clipped to the ceiling joists:

0aecde81-484e-42f6-9417-e353f7c1eec3_1.ccfdcbab7e9730267725d11d6b6898a1.jpeg.1ea8f7cad044ebe7644d464db25d04dc.jpeg

I use "cool-white daylight" LED bulbs made to fit 4' fluorescent fixtures over mine.  Use the "high-temperature" type of LED that emits a more bluish light.   About twice as bright as the fluorescent tubes they replaced, and 1/3 the electric draw.    Buy "cool" color-temperature LED - the Kelvin rating of that cool color will be about 4500 K.   Confusingly, the "warm" looking bulbs are a lower Kelvin temperature rating.  When working where you need to see detail, the cool-white is needed.   When putting on makeup, the warm-white is better.   :o:lol:

Good luck, GJ

32 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I use "cool-white daylight" LED bulbs made to fit 4' fluorescent fixtures over mine.  Use the "high-temperature" type of LED that emits a more bluish light.   About twice as bright as the fluorescent tubes they replaced, and 1/3 the electric draw.    Buy "cool" color-temperature LED - the Kelvin rating of that cool color will be about 4500 K.   Confusingly, the "warm" looking bulbs are a lower Kelvin temperature rating.  When working where you need to see detail, the cool-white is needed.   When putting on makeup, the warm-white is better.   :o:lol:

Good luck, GJ

These are what I use. About $30 per fixture including the "bulbs" at home depot. I use 2, one over my 650 and one over my 550. Had to put some cardboard between my eyes and the machines as they were too bright to look at directly for me. The room I reload in has its own ceiling light as well (a typical 2 bulb fixture) that I usually turn on out of habit but several times when it got dark outside and I had not turned it on the room was still plenty bright without it.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas!  When I get back from shooting this weekend.  I will put into action some your alls ideas!!!

Many thanks again!

Many thanks for the ideas and thoughts!  I will be putting into action some of them.

I have four LED shop lights over 18’ of hard maple counter top 

plus 3 porcelain fixtures with 100 watt LED bulbs that are behind  me when loading.

also installed an UFO light on the Dillon 650xl

its just about prefect lighting

505D89F4-2617-4AEC-8ECD-7E937BB85732.jpeg

Double 48" bright white fluorescent fixture in a white painted room. 

Archived