SASS Wire Forum

RV for SASS

I like my RV for SASS and Sea Scouts. Before I bought mine, I tended to fall asleep afteer the shooting and miss the dinners and festivities.  When my rig is right there in the venue, I no longer miss anything. However, my RV is a lotlike me and needs tender care. This year, it needs a new rear air shock, tires, a better water tank, upgraded electrical, a new starting and a new house battey plus, my transmission needs rebuilding!  :(

That's a lot

I  am out of Idaho until spring this year,  I wonder if I can get my RV squared away enough to get to EOT and the Idaho State SASS.

I suppose that a tent in the parking lot might suffice. I was an Air Scout and a Sea Scout and leader. Camping was something that the "Dirt" Scouts did. Camping was not my favourite activity while serving in "The little army that talks like the Navy".

I am getting to the age^_^ where I'm concerned about missing events because ......   

I kept our motor home as well, after SWMBO found her physical condition made camping no longer fun or comfortable.

We decided to keep it and I, like you, would use it for matches. 

I go the day before, sleep in it on the range, then crash as needed, eat, run the genny and the AC and provide power for the scorekeepers etc.

Works out well, prevents me getting too tired, driving too and from matches on the same day.

Doesn't help me scores any, but I have fun.

A couple of pards often bunk with me overnight and we will have supper then watch Westerns on the TV/DVD player before bed time.

Starting to get a couple of others doing the same thing.

At our new location, I put the awning out and we move some picnic tables under it to get some shade. (Us Canucks don't deal well with heat and too much sun!)

IMG_1142.JPG

Haven't ventured out to a match far enough away to use it; however, when we do, ours will come in handy.

1807124711_BTCruiser.thumb.jpg.acf774ea37c1b049756b2e9d610f7ebf.jpg

12 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Haven't ventured out to a match far enough away to use it; however, when we do, ours will come in handy.

1807124711_BTCruiser.thumb.jpg.acf774ea37c1b049756b2e9d610f7ebf.jpg

That looks like the size I am thinking of getting.  Small enough to park easier yet big enough to sleep a couple of kids and have a close by bathroom.   

We use mine even for the close-by matches.

Gives us an opportunity to get together before the match, shoot the breeze etc.

Dry camping of course, but with the generator, we have A/C, microwave, TV/DVD etc.

When the weather is colder and may be subject to freezing overnight, I have pink antifreeze in the reservoir, just to flush and bring a water jug to make coffee and tea.

Not quite the same kind of camping  as I started with, (in a tent) many decades ago, but I'm a lot older now.

1 minute ago, Trigger Mike said:

That looks like the size I am thinking of getting.  Small enough to park easier yet big enough to sleep a couple of kids and have a close by bathroom.   

@Trigger Mike,

This is considered a Class B+ RV. It comes between the Class B (think Roadtrek) and Class C (Sunseeker).

I prefer the looks of the front of the B+,  as the cab over seems to be aerodynamically lacking. :blink:

Yes, the Sunseeker likes to burn gas and it sure doesn't like any kind of a wind coming from the side.

If it does, I find you can't really relax at the wheel.

7 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

What's a ballpark price for a B+?

Just some examples:

NEWER

image.png.d76c4b89f6592d8c1302f084e5264a49.png

USED

image.png.8ab74d69f87e694088ec6c004008618d.png

If I'm going to be gone for more than a couple days, I take the big one (32' w/12' slide). If I'm going to spend just one or two nights, the little Jayco 14'er works fine.

Trailer.jpg

Jayco.jpg

We bought a little bitty rv cruiser fun-finder last year.  The jury's still out on do I like camping but I am loving staying at the range(s).  Petey whines much less & I don't have to miss board meetings.

The Missus and I Love our Little Class C ..... Mine is on the Chev ...  A friend Had one just like mine on a Ford frame ,,, when he saw the difference in Gas Mileage ,,, Well he now has one exactly like mine except 1 year newer and the Color of the decals ....

Jabez Cowboy 

I have a 27' pull behind with a 36" slide out that I take to both the cowboy and muzzle loading shoots (I belng to both the Alberta Frontier Shootists Society and the Alberta Black Powder Association.)  We camp on site at both shoots and they are both two day shoots  except for the Canadian Championships of Cowboy shooting which is up to 4 days camping on site.  Always camp the night before and sit around a group fire pit and sip various libations and tell lies.

Why aren't any Alberta SASS clubs listed by SASS anymore?

I enjoyed the Alberta Frontier Shootists but can't find them. What happened?

2 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Click on the word Canada above the map of the US.

https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Canada

Camping at the range for any match that takes more than a day is the way to go. I have my mom-in-law's 18 foot fifth wheel trailer that I drag to matches. It's a little tight if more than one person is in it, but for lil' ol' me it's just right, and our Ram 3500 Cummins hardly knows it's back there when we're traveling. I also like a trailer because a lot of ranges are outside of town so I have a way to get to town for groceries, etc...

It's currently in the shop getting the frame lifted so it pulls more leveler on the Ram, which is significantly taller than the F250 Super Duty we used to pull it with...

I got a 32' with a wheelchair lift for my son.I also got a SXS to carry him at the range.Works great & I dont have to leave him at home.

Largo

On 1/11/2020 at 1:09 PM, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Just type in Alberta Frontier Shootist society and their website will come up.

When Reno Brown is traveling with me I drag my 20' Toy Hauler......Lots of room for "stuff" and built heavier than a standard tow behind trailer....

But this year, when I'm going alone, the trailer is staying home and the RTT (Roof Top Tent) will be used

IMG_20191030_102353001.jpg

For one person this is just about right. I had a 30’ diesel pusher RV but sold it last year and downsized to this.

C4092AFC-EF3A-40AE-A194-E30640FF11CD.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

When Reno Brown is traveling with me I drag my 20' Toy Hauler......Lots of room for "stuff" and built heavier than a standard tow behind trailer....

But this year, when I'm going alone, the trailer is staying home and the RTT (Roof Top Tent) will be used

IMG_20191030_102353001.jpg

Watch out for that first step... on your way to the outhouse at 0300.:D 

My better half keeps wanting us to buy a bumper tow camper. She keeps trying to sell me on the idea by telling me "just think how many cowboy matches you could do throughout the year!" And then I remind her I would just be gone more and it would not take her long to get very upset with my being gone all the time. Somehow I would be the bad guy for fulfilling her dream. Therefore whenever she mentions a camper I fake a heart attack and fall on the floor just to change the subject. Sometimes a guy has to do extreme things to avoid putting himself in a worse situation.

:o

It would be fun to stay at the range, but then I think of:

cost of RV or trailer and hauler,

economic cost of above purchases (lost investment $),

extra fuel costs over a car or truck,

storage fees,

maintenance costs.

I can stay at our house for area shoots or spend quite a few nights in a motel for what an RV or trailer and hauler would cost. A small trailer would be the least expensive option, but I would still need to store it somewhere between trips.

I am "careful"  ;) not cheap???? I bought an old, used RV with a tiny 4 cylinder engine. I live in it for shoots over 200 miles. I save the motel fee, cook my own food, shower, etc. have everything I need right there and do not fall asleep at a motel and miss the evening festivities.

Because of my international business travels, I still have thousands of motel points. However, for me, the RV is lots more convenient.  :)

I started traveling to distant shoots sleeping in the back seat of my pickup.  After a while, I got a good deal on a 24' fifth wheel then after about 6 years, upgraded to a 30' after retirement when my favorite gal and our two pups started coming along on the long trips.

3 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I started traveling to distant shoots sleeping in the back seat of my pickup.  After a while, I got a good deal on a 24' fifth wheel then after about 6 years, upgraded to a 30' after retirement when my favorite gal and our two pups started coming along on the long trips.

That’s me in reverse. We bought the 30’ motorhome thinking we’d go camping a lot with our two dogs. The dogs died and out of the 49,800 miles on the coach when we sold it about 42,000 miles were by myself, Mrs. Lose does not like camping.

Since I got my Class C ,,, My wife looks Forward to going to shoots ... She loves it !!!

We have had a bumper pull trailer ( good ) a Truck Camper ( Ok ) but the steps up were starting to get to her knees ,,,,,,

The Coach she can just step into from the ground level ,  two steps inside to a level floor ....

So We both Love it .... As do our Grown Kids .....  Dad Can I borrow the MotorHome ..... Or let's go fishing ,,, let's take the coach and your boat .... 

Jabez Cowboy

We 4 Kiwi cowboys hire a 30' C Class.  Usually try to do 3 or 4 shoots on our bi-annual trip to EOT. Drive about 3000 miles. RV is just the best! After shooting in the heat, we get real thirsty. RV on range, problem solved. No driving. So we have a couple of beers, a pot-luck BBQ, and too much fun. And the best part is meeting up with some really great cowboys/cowgirls  who have become lifelong mates!

Come for the shooting, stay for the people!

I can stay at our house for area shoots or spend quite a few nights in a motel for what an RV or trailer and hauler would cost. A small trailer would be the least expensive option, but I would still need to store it somewhere between trips.

Trust me....Buying an RV like buying a boat is NEVER a sound financial decision....NEVER!  But that's not the point. I stayed in motels my first year or two. Missed way too much. Actually didn't enjoy going to three day shoots. 

Now I consider the camping at events easily 55% of the fun of a weekend shoot. No question. The campfire, the ApplePie Moonshine, The Blueberry Cobbler, the Pot Luck Dinners, the absolute frivolity can't be missed!

On 1/14/2020 at 4:56 PM, Yul Lose said:

For one person this is just about right. I had a 30’ diesel pusher RV but sold it last year and downsized to this.

C4092AFC-EF3A-40AE-A194-E30640FF11CD.jpeg

These little campers retain their value. Used ones are hard to find because people don't get rid of them. Is this a 17 footer?

Just now, Assassin said:

These little campers retain their value. Used ones are hard to find because people don't get rid of them. Is this a 17 footer?

Yes. 

Archived