SASS Wire Forum

S&W 686 Plus 357 or Ruger Redhawk 5050 45acp/45LC

Del Rio Pete

(I repeatedly used the SASS search function, but I have not been able to find posts about these guns, but I know they have been discussed before.)

Note:  After several comments, I added two additional revolvers. Thanks 

S&W 686 Plus. 357 Magnum.  Single/Double Action,  7 rounds.  2.5”, 4”, 5”,  6” Barrel Length.  Around 42-46 oz  (Not sure about available barrel lengths)

Or,

Ruger Redhawk Mod 5060. 357 Magnum. Single/Double Action. 8 rounds. 5.5” Barrel Length. 52 oz

Smith & Wesson Mod 625 JM. 45 acp only. Single/Double Action. 6 rounds. 4.13” Barrel Length. 40.5 oz

Or,

Ruger Redhawk   45 acp / 45 Long Colt.  Single/Double Action. 6 rounds. 4.2” Barrel Length.  44 oz. 

Any comments on these guns for general use ... home defense, outdoor use, shooting range, etc?

Also, I saw a lot of negative comments on the S&W 686 quality and customer support on newer guns.

I really like the looks of the S&W, but the numerous quality issue comments are of concern.

If you could own just one, which one would it be?

I've owned a Smith 686+ 2.5".  It was an ok gun, but I didn't care for the 7 hole cylinder.  Too many years of shooting classic 586/686 I guess.  I traded it off, and now have a 586 no dash for an L frame.  

The recoil for the 686 seems a little stout and since I pinched a nerve in my neck is impossible to shoot.  

Haven't tried the redhawk but I do know that the recoil for a Smith and wesson 45acp revolver is negligible and even with my nerve problem.   

Might try the governor as it also shoots 410

I have had a 686+ for several years and it's very well made.    My 45 ACP  revolvers are both S&W 625 in 4 and 5 in.   Owned an early Redhawk and went back to S&W.   Won the seven shooter at an ICORE event so I can not complain about the number of holes or the price.    Couple of years ago a friend bouhjt a S&W RP8 online.  Told me he was real sure he was F$&^%.   When I saw it the trigger was complete trash.  Told him "don't worry, It's a Smith  , they will fix it.  2 weeks later he called to tell how happy he was.  S&W took care of everything and fast          GW

I choose either early, pre key lock hole safety S&Ws or any Ruger.

Rugers are overbuilt and excellent handguns in my experience.

Pre safety hole crap S&Ws are quite possibly the sexiest looking and QC was quite excellent.

I do like the 7 and even 8 shot revolvers. More ammo is never a bad thing.

:D

On 1/8/2020 at 7:58 PM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I've owned a Smith 686+ 2.5".  It was an ok gun, but I didn't care for the 7 hole cylinder.  Too many years of shooting classic 586/686 I guess.  I traded it off, and now have a 586 no dash for an L frame.  

I'm not a big fan of the 7 hole cylinder either. I think it's because of the 45 yrs. I spent as a machinist. There is no way to divide 360 by 7 and get an exact number. 

Archived