SASS Wire Forum

Grafs black powder made by Goex!

Warden Callaway

Maybe I'm the last to know.  But the Grafs powder I have gotten before says "Imported by Schetzen .. for Graf & Sons".  

The bottle I got yesterday looked more like the Goex bottle. Sure enough,   it says manufactured by Goex Powder inc.

1300543487_GrafsFFGJan2020.jpg.4ba04056720782b9ebdd116e16ed53a4.jpg

Interesting, wonder when that changed. Must've been fairly recent because I got some last fall that was made by Wano(Scheutzen's parent).

That's kind of annoying because I like Scheutzen better than Goex; oh well.

24 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ya'all know original BP is an import from China ..... right??

And we can thank Frenchman Paul Vieille for smokeless powder!! Thanks Paul!!:P

5 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Them Frenchmen!

Did he also invent the French Fry????

No - but I think he may have invented the bikini. That's real important right there ...... ;)

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

That's kind of annoying because I like Scheutzen better than Goex; oh well.

Yep, I prefer the German charcoal also, burns cleaner. I think my last batch of Schuetzen (and KIK) came from Main Powder House. Bout time to reorder, gonna have to check around.;) Good Luck:)

BP is hard to get in Aus & even going to be harder as Wano [ Germany  ]  is the most popular & they had a factory explosion I'm lead to believe in the last 2-3 years resulting in deaths..now there authorities have clamped down on  production issues, volume & shipping etc. I use the cheapest I can get & that is 5FA [ virtually cracker powder]..works great !  If I buy in bulk I can get it down to about $ 27 a Lb.Now no shipments into Aus till Sept '020 so the sensible ones have stocked up...prices will go up of course.

If I tell you the price of  FF & FFF you will  fall off your chair so I will leave it at that !!!!

If you read between the lines of the black powder sales ... Hodgdon wants it to be a monopoly with Goex only. If you want the better brands made with Alder Buckthorn charcoal (Swiss & Schuetzen only now) that burns cleaner than Goex made with yellow maple charcoal, there are several vendors you can order from 

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Look up how to make black powder and get 62,000 hits. (Maybe I exaggerated a bit) 

Howdy Warden..Making BP is the way to go..it's just getting permission from 'you know who'  that is the hard part. Something about blowing yourself up & they have to pick up the pieces !!! I have a friend in another state that makes super reliable BP & so much cheaper !

31 minutes ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy Warden..Making BP is the way to go..it's just getting permission from 'you know who'  that is the hard part. Something about blowing yourself up & they have to pick up the pieces !!! I have a friend in another state that makes super reliable BP & so much cheaper !

It never occurred to me that asking permission would be part of the process.   ^_^

4 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I make my own. The basic concept is easy but it took several batches to get my recipe/process dialed in. I quit tweeking  it once I got it consistently within 7-15 fps of goex cartridge powder. I buy my chemicals in bulk and make my own charcoal for it. Not counting my time (which isn't much) I'm making my powder for about $2.65 a pound 

13 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Them Frenchmen!

Did he also invent the French Fry????

Looks like a food fight between France and Belgium!

https://nypost.com/2018/08/06/france-belgium-argue-over-who-really-invented-french-fries/

I'll take some fries with my Tite-Group, thank you!!:P

There are a few downsides to making your own black powder. Aeons ago, as a middle school boy, I burbed down our kitchen with a very excellently explosive black powder. )Chemistry sets weren't politically correct back then!) ;)

Now, I use Shuetzen for SASS and Olde Eyensford. (sp?) for BPCR. I get them from Buffalo Arms in Sandpoint/Ponderay, Idaho. It's a lot cheaper and convenient to just go to their place and take some home. I sure have enough to send me to Mars but I live in the forest in an unincorporated rural area so there's no one to complain.  :)

7 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Yeah, you probably won’t get permission while those wildfires are still burning!

:o

Stay safe Pard.

I have been using the fg Graf's/Goex for the last 6 months and it works as well as anything else I have tried. My daughter wanted more smoke and sparks in her 44-40's, thus the fg.

14 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

According to their Product Description page, it has been that way since 2019!

How about that!   I don't buy a lot of black powder as I shoot BlackMZ in my Cowboy cartridge loads. I may have bought a pound of Reenactor last year but it was the old style bottle and it says Schetzen on it.  

On 1/8/2020 at 8:34 PM, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Yep, I prefer the German charcoal also, burns cleaner. I think my last batch of Schuetzen (and KIK) came from Main Powder House. Bout time to reorder, gonna have to check around.;) Good Luck:)

Might be worth your while to drive up to Winchester VA.

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Ok...  I stopped in at Grafs retail store and spent some money.  I asked about the change from Schetzen to Goex.  The salesman didn't know what I was talking about.  He opened the black powder box and got out a bottle of Grafs that said,  sure enough,  Made by Goex. 

I asked if he had any of the old bottles and he pulled out one and it had made by Wano.  He had no explanation. 

A guy came out of the back that you use to have to get black powder from. I pose the question to him.  His reply was it was a purchasing decision.  Goex had a better price.  

I asked if they had any of the old stock left and he said no.  (You my get another answer) 

1751830412_GrafsWoropowderJan2020.jpg.601b957b7872a636e7707c14e22a41b7.jpg

Blasting "a" type powders are not usually tumbled. If they are tumbled, it is just for a short time to knock off any sharp and long projections. Sporting "g" type powders are tumbled with a tiny amount of graphite to polish the grains. The base formula is the same.

Look at the difference of the grains between Goex 1Fg - Reenactor - Cannon verses Goex 2Fg

Archived