SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Question

Lightning Will, SASS#56934

6 mags and a couple of working spares will get you through any WB event I've been to.   But, I usually have 15 with me.  

Usually if a club intends to go hog wild with pistol rounds on stages, they will let shooters know.    Cowtown club in west Phoenix is famous for having some heavy pistol round counts!

Good luck, GJ

For Panhandle Cattle Company, 21 pistol, 6-10 rifle & 4-6 shotgun is the standard I use for WB stages.  I only do 28 round pistol stages if I take away one of the long guns & usually do that for 1 stage per match. 

We did 4 stages of 28 pistol rounds once & it made the match run way too long.

Holler

If I recall correctly, only ONE mag is required.  But, that's strictly for the operation of the pistol... and it'll kill the clock to reload it time after time in the course of a stage.  A Wild Bunch match is like a tour of duty for a cop... and I carried 10 spare mags besides the 3 on me... just in case!  We typically shoot between 28 & 35 pistol rounds per stage...   BTW, a magazine loader is your friend...  

I have 6 mags loaded with 7 rounds each on my belt and carry one to the load table. I don't carry a 'Barney' mag.

When we used 5 round mags I always brought 30 loaded for me and 30 loaded for Shotgun Shannon to a match.

With the 7 round rule now we only use 18 to 24 mags each per match.

We shoot where mags can land in 'flour' dirt so we don't reload them at matches.

And as Garrison Joe mentioned we're known to shoot a lot of ammo at Cowtown in Phoenix.

I like the occasional 42 round stage as long as I can remember where they all go.

A couple years ago at 'The Bodie Blast' I think the main stage was 210 rounds. BRUTAL !!!

21 minutes ago, two dot said:

Hey Kingsnake PSA still had some of those frames listed at $99 on their website.

I’ll take a look. Thanks 

FYI - You do not have to carry a bunch of magazines on your person. WB rules allow for pre-staging of mags: "Additional magazines or loose ammunition the shooter may wish to have beyond those the shooter can carry in magazine pouches or ammunition loops may be staged at locations and manner of their choice.  Additional magazines and loose ammunition to be staged may be brought to the line in any safe manner." This is directly from the January 2019 WB rule book (ver. 12-2) in the section entitled "HOLSTERS, CARTRIDGE BELTS, AND BANDOLEERS". 

On 1/8/2020 at 1:18 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

We usually shoot 28 rounds/4 mags total. I carry 6 mags on my belt, plus the one in the pistol.

Of course you have that one Mag with that special round that won’t chamber too 3 Foot:D:D

Archived