SASS Wire Forum

Not Your Typical Deer

Sedalia Dave

Kansas bowhunter harvests buck with incredibly unusual antlers: 'In complete shock'

On Jan. 3, members with the Boone and Crockett Club spent five hours scoring the buck.

On Jan. 3, members with the Boone and Crockett Club spent five hours scoring the buck, coming up with an unofficial net non-typical score of 321 3/8 inches, according to Kansas officials, and earning Butcher the fourth highest-scoring non-typical whitetail harvest in the world. The largest bowhunter-harvested non-typical whitetail was caught in Illinois, with a score of 327 7/8. However, if Butcher’s record stands, he will hold the record for the state of Kansas.

“When I first saw it, I thought it had some branches or grass tangled up in its antlers,” Butcher said.

WOW! That's a dandy! I can't imagine how Kaya would react to shooting that one. Her 11 pointer had her crying (HAPPY!) when we walked up and saw him.

2 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

Why the heck did he not do a head mount!

No room in his house?........

Most of the time those monsters end up getting sold to the large outdoor stores anyway.

He’s probably having a shoulder mount done, it takes a little time to process and tan the cape and then do the mount.

5 hours ago, Grass Range said:

What do they eat in Kansas that grows antlers like this?

Age and corn. Give them to a buck with good genetics and monsters grow. Starting to see this in Indiana.

There are more and more high fenced deer farms that breed for this type of abnormal horn growth. Some of them get away and enter the normal population and breed. There is a lot of concern about this. I'll be interested to see if B & C actually enters this buck into the record books.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:23 AM, Grass Range said:

What do they eat in Kansas that grows antlers like this?

From grazing over abandoned nuclear missile silos in Kansas! :lol:

Archived