SASS Wire Forum

Making cookies today

Sugar vanilla cookies

Oatmeal raisin cookies.

Chessmen

Do bismarcks and  bear claws count?

8 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

Can you post recipes of 1 and 2 please? 

Ok, for the pistachio cookies I used this recipe.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/256369/amazing-white-chocolate-chip-pistachio-cookies/print/?recipeType=Recipe&servings=24&isMetric=false

if you can’t get to it for any reason, tell me, I will post it.  The only wrinkle I see is the pistachios.

the cookies were flatter than I like, next time I will do one of the usual steps, more flour, less butter, less baking time, or refrigerate the dough.

about the pistachios, you can buy shelled nuts but I spent an hour shelling, then I put nut nut meats into a ziplock bag and rolled a rolling pin over it. Attention to detail is important her, I did not want to pulverize them so I spread the nuts out on a plate a picked the whole pieces out and put them in the ziplock and again did the rolling pin thing. There were still some that were missed. But I decided to stop there.

about the white chocolate chips. Be careful what you buy.  White chocolate is cocoa butter, sugar and milk solids.  Many “white baking” things are palm oil blends. Palm oil is the cheapest fat on the planet that the UN put forward as an element of the food supply for the poorest of Africa.  BTW, many peanut butters are made by removing the valuable peanut oil and replacing it with palm oil.  I use white chocolate from Noel which is a tad pricey. The pieces are a little bigger than a nickel, I chop them up and use them.

now the cranberry orange:  ))) Are you bored yet?  I used the recipe at 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/40180/cranberry-orange-cookies/

if you can’t see it for any reason ask And I will post.  The only trick for me was the frosting. I have not done a frosting since 2011 in culinary school but it is so simple I should not have avoided it.

about the recipe, I would make it a third bigger for the frosting.

3/4 to 1 tsp orange zest, 1/4 cup orange juice, 2 cups confectioners sugar.

with more practice frosting I might not the extra.

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I bet a touch of curry powder would go well in those. 

Thanks for the links. 

You’re welcome.  
I’ll have a go at adding a dab of cumin, coriander and turmeric.

for those who don’t know “curry powder” is a British invention attempting to reproduce Indian flavors. You can buy it in one of those little spice jars that have been sitting on your supermarket shelves for eons, but most of it is cumin coriander.

Archived