SASS Wire Forum

Lcp ii 22lr

Trigger Mike

Ruger put out a lcp II in 22 long rifle.  A 22 in a pocket 380 sized pistol.  Does anyone have any thoughts on it?  Sometimes I carry the browning 1911-22 and I wonder if the longer barrel on the browning makes any difference 

Not quite what looking at but I bought a Ruger SR22 several years ago.  Gun is great, only thing I do not like is the decocker.   If running fast sometimes I bump it and it goes back the DA again for next shot.  Ruger came out with a SR22XL.   Adding 1 inch to the slide,  really been lusting after one of these.  Keep hoping Ruger would offer a long slide/ barrel assembly like Walther did with their similar offering.    Can not remember a single failure with this pistol other than a few bad rounds of cheap ammo.      GW

Howdy,

Check out the new low recoil ruger .22.

Yes pards the good folks at ruger have tamed the massive recoil of the .22.

Best

CR

No this is not a joke.....

If Ruger wanted to make an LCP-sized carry pistol with reduced recoil all they had to do was come out with a .32ACP version. Then they'd finally be competing with Kel-Tec who's had such an animal for the past 15 years. I wouldn't use a .22 for defense nor recommend it to anyone unless there was no other option available. Too many jams and dud rounds. And we haven't even discussed the effectiveness of the caliber itself. A .32 certainly ain't the Thunder Hammer of Thor either, but at least it's a centerfire round and more likely to get the bad guy's attention. If I did have to use a .22 I'd want something with a longer barrel and greater ammo capacity than the LCP-II.

Currently 1 in 7 in the US are over 70.  I believe Ruger is offering a handgun that can be shot by that population.  It is a well established fact that the greatest fear for our older population  is the fear of being a victim of a crime. Too many of those folks sit in front of that 40 inch window to the world and believe everything the news puts out.  Just a personal opinion from my saddle....

I'm sure its a great little gun, looks like a fun thing to have.

A .22 in your pocket is better than nothing at all but I would sure test the heck out of any .22 LR pistol I were going to carry.
If a .22 was all I could handle I would have to go with a revolver. 

But a little 22 plinker? That might be fun. 

Here is a nice article on this pistol. They said the trigger matched the .380 model but there was no comment on the length of pull. I’ll bet it feels long. The author calls it an LCR at the end but that is a little error. 

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/12/30/tested-ruger-lcp-ii-22-lr-pistol/

30 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

If Ruger wanted to make an LCP-sized carry pistol with reduced recoil all they had to do was come out with a .32ACP version. Then they'd finally be competing with Kel-Tec who's had such an animal for the past 15 years. I wouldn't use a .22 for defense nor recommend it to anyone unless there was no other option available. Too many jams and dud rounds. And we haven't even discussed the effectiveness of the caliber itself. A .32 certainly ain't the Thunder Hammer of Thor either, but at least it's a centerfire round and more likely to get the bad guy's attention. If I did have to use a .22 I'd want something with a longer barrel and greater ammo capacity than the LCP-II.

19 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Currently 1 in 7 in the US are over 70.  I believe Ruger is offering a handgun that can be shot by that population.  It is a well established fact that the greatest fear for our older population  is the fear of being a victim of a crime. Too many of those folks sit in front of that 40 inch window to the world and believe everything the news puts out.  Just a personal opinion from my saddle....

I'm sure its a great little gun, looks like a fun thing to have.

Speer and Hornady both make defensive rounds for the .22WMR. The Speer GDHP-SB is intended to reach substantial velocity out of a short barrel (hence the "SB"), and from what I have read, does expand significantly. In cases where someone is recoil sensitive or frail, this seems like a far better option than any of the .22LR choices I know of.

On the subject of .32 caliber firearms, I think the .32 H&R Magnum came at the wrong time, and makes quite a good round for the recoil sensitive out of a revolver. I almost picked up a J-Frame in the caliber a few years back for Mrs. Doc, and still kick myself for not doing so.

I have the LCP II in .380 and would be interested in the .22 model. It doesn't seem to be out yet in my area. I don't think I would carry it for concealed carry, but it could be fun. 

I don't get it. As a mid octogenarian and an "EL Rey", I'm sure as H--- over 70!!!   :wub:  I shoot a Les Baer .45ACP in NRA bullseye, .45 OM Rugers  with BP in CAS and carry a snubby .44 S&W revolver, not too mention my shotguns and LR rifles. What's this cr__ about people my age having to carry pissant .22s, .32s, 9s, .38s, etc.?  Why not just put rocks in your pocket?

I know plenty of really old folks 70's-80's etc. that would have no business carrying a .45 down through a 32. But a .22 would work well for them. I also remember my first homicide. Sucker killed from a .22 30 feet away. That was back in 75. Can a .22 have killing power, your a fool if you don't think so. For fun I have a Jennings J-22 that's a lot of fun ta shoot and darn accurate. New was only $45 when I got it.

Oh yea, that sucker killed by a .22, dropped right in his tracks when shot.

Karamojo Bell killed elephants with a .22. I prefer a double rifle in the 4s or 5s. My maternal grandfather could do wonders with a .22. Once he took my 2-1/2 barrelled .22 revolver and shot 6 blue grouse in the head out of a tree. I saw him make about a 200 yard shot with a .22 rifle into a  pelican.

There is a benefit to a .22. As a boy, I got a nickel for every muskrat that I killed near our dam number 4. I used my 2-1/2" revolver. That helped me become a decent shot. Once while returning from a pack trip for elk, I shot a prairie pigeon with my S&W revolver loaded with .44 Rem Mags. All that was left were wing tips!!! :wub:  A .22 sure would have been better.  :P

I used my S&W revolver in PPC matches loaded with .44 S&W Specials. Most of the others used .38s. I did OK. 

I carried a .45 1911 in the Corps. It was quite adequate.

An awful lot is dependent on your famliarity with your weapon of choice.

Sometimes I carry a NAA in .22 magnum, in the summer when I'm going for a walk and I have shorts and a t-shirt. I trust the little guy and never had it NOT go bang!;)

IMG_1539.JPG

45 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sometimes I carry a NAA in .22 magnum, in the summer when I'm going for a walk and I have shorts and a t-shirt. I trust the little guy and never had it NOT go bang!;)

IMG_1539.JPG

My old police chief encouraged all of us to carry that same gun in our pocket as a backup.  

18 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Have you priced 32 ACP lately?

This gun will make a great addition  as a low cost practice companion to my 380

51 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

My old police chief encouraged all of us to carry that same gun in our pocket as a backup.  

I carried either that or a Baby Browning in my weak side pocket for years as last ditch back up to my duty gun 

Archived