SASS Wire Forum

How long is a colt a colt?

Alpo

Is there an age thing? Colt, then yearling, then two-year-old, then (finally) horse?

I believe a filly is a filly until she has a foal, and then she is a mare.

But when does a colt stop being a colt and become a horse?

Is it also sexual - once he is stood to stud he is grown?  But that would make the poor geldings stay colts forever.

Alpo,

My first thought when I read your title was “Awe crud, someone’s chopping up a Colt, adding aftermarket parts...probably trying to sell it.”

Sorry, I don’t do horse-techno-speak. :D

3 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I don't know, but Peyton was a Colt for 14 years before becoming a Bronco...

That was funny, and I don't even care about football.

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Peyton who?  Or is it Who Peyton?  Did he/she have anything to do with Peyton Place?

You know, Peyton Manning

peyton-manning-colts-broncos.jpg

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Oh, the annoying insurance pitchman!

Who him or Brad Paisley?:lol:

A colt is a Colt until someone either mistreats it or a gun grabber gets hold of it and melts it down...

4 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Look it up it’s easy you should try it 

But then I wouldn't get the enjoyment of reading a lot of interesting answers and fill my brain bucket with volumes of information that may or may not be useful at some point in the future.

Who knows a Saloonatic could wind up on Jeporady one day and need one of Alpo's questions to win Final Jeporady. ;)

I had an Arabian stallion that was incredibly docile. Kids could ride him. He preformed well in parades. He was a colt until his 20s!!!

A Colt was a Colt from 1971 to 1994 when they decided it was time to put them out to pasture. They were also known as Champs, Eagle Summits and Crickets. They didn't have much horsepower and, in fact, a horse could probably outrun them in the 1/4 mile. They were relatively small Colts and got even smaller in 1978.

Not to be confused with a Mustang or Bronco, they were generally ugly in appearance, would break down often and had a shorter lifespan than many of their competitors.

Hope this cleared things up for you. When this is the answer of Final Jeopardy, you'll thank me for the knowledge gained here today. Heck James wouldn't even know this answer.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Hope this cleared things up for you. When this is the answer of Final Jeopardy, you'll thank me for the knowledge gained here today. Heck James wouldn't even know this answer.

He does now. He has a proprietary web spider that scrounges information faster than google.

21 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I had an Arabian stallion that was incredibly docile. Kids could ride him. He preformed well in parades. He was a colt until his 20s!!!

I had an Arabian stallion that dad shot when he attacked one of Dads favorite geldings. 30-30 in the saddle scabbard always.

Most stallions are pains in the ------- :angry:  My Arabian was completely atypical.  BTW, although my friends, neighbours and our  hands had .30-30s, I had and still have my Marlin .35 Remington. It is so superior to the .30-30 that there's no comparison.

My big straight 8 Buick was another example.All my peers wanted Chevvies. I blew them away drag racing!!!  :lol:

I never did go along with the crowd!  :D

On 1/9/2020 at 2:59 PM, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Most stallions are pains in the ------- :angry:  My Arabian was completely atypical.  BTW, although my friends, neighbours and our  hands had .30-30s, I had and still have my Marlin .35 Remington. It is so superior to the .30-30 that there's no comparison.

My big straight 8 Buick was another example.All my peers wanted Chevvies. I blew them away drag racing!!!  :lol:

I never did go along with the crowd!  :D

Tell us about your Buick, MM. My first car was a 1952 Buick Super four sedan. It had been my granddaddy's car and my grandmother kept it after he died. in '58. She gave it to me when I was 17. I sure miss it. Mine had the 263 straight eight and a DynaFlow transmission. Not real quick off of the line, but it would fly when it got to speed. Got it up to 104 MPH one time. :)

I had a 1949 Buick Roadmaster. I fitted it with a Howard Johansen 8 carburetor manifold and an "awful awful" cam. Later, I built buick straight eights for others. One of mine won the 1954 drag race championship.

I modified everything :D including the main bearings.

My first car was a 1936 LaSalle. It had a flathead straight eight.

Archived