SASS Wire Forum

Remington #10 vs CCI #11

Warden Callaway

8 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Are you still using factory nipples?

Based on my experience around 75% stay on Slix nipples, and about 50% stay on Treso nipples. I have lightened springs, I suspect with a heavier spring the percent that stay on would go up. Factory nipples in my experience are terrible, especially with light springs.

Factory nipple.  Factory springs.   

What's the advantage of them staying on if they fall out and don't jam the gun?  Why is there a spent cap gutter if the caps are supposed to stay on?

I don't do nothing I'm supposed to do.  I never bust caps to "dry out" the nipples.   If I see daylight through the nipples ,  I load it up and shoot it. 

4 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Factory nipple.  Factory springs.   

What's the advantage of them staying on if they fall out and don't jam the gun?  There isn't IF they don't jam the gun.

Why is there a spent cap gutter if the caps are supposed to stay on? Only Samuel Colt knows the answer to that :P

I don't do nothing I'm supposed to do.  I never bust caps to "dry out" the nipples. Me Either   If I see daylight through the nipples ,  I load it up and shoot it. Same here. I'll add that when I clean the cylinders after shooting I blow them out with compressed air, I very rarely bust caps' wasting caps IMO.

On 1/10/2020 at 2:28 PM, Warden Callaway said:

I bet you've never lubed with unsalted peanut butter.   Works well.:blink:

Shameful waste of peanut butter.  :ph34r:

anyone want to sell some of their extra ROA's?

I have started a collection, in addition to shooting a pair of SS 5 1/2s.

I'd like two more SS 5 1/2s - I have three boys, so I want a collection of Fours.

After the SS, I want Blue 5 1/2; SS 7 1/2, and Blue 7 1/2

The winter storm has passed and the sun has came out.  So, I've just shot out the rest of the box on 100 CCI caps.  I'm calling it 100 for 100.   I had one busted cap come back into the hammer cut.  I can't see blaming that on the cap.  

The Dixie Yank Pietta 44 was box stock for about the first 50 shots with these caps.  Then I took it apart and broke some razer sharp edges and ran a stone around the inside of the frame and sides of the bolt, etc.  I did debur the hammer face and polish it and the safely cut.  I didn't change the springs.

I didn't clean the cylinder or barrel for total 100 shots.  I did load the cylinder off the gun and wiped down the cylinder face before loading.  I didn't have any incidents of cap sucking back after polishing the hammer face. 

The CCI caps dispensed just as well as with Remington #10s.

I can't say CCI #11s caps are better than Remington #10s. I can't say CCI #11s are equal to Remington #10s. I can say 100 for 100 went BANG.  

Archived