SASS Wire Forum

Weight Reduction

In my previous post I did mention having trimmed 30 lbs. off of my weight.   I could imagine that there is someone who is wondering and wanting to ask how I did it . . but possibly  embarrassed to ask.?  

Anyhow . . . . 2 years ago I had been gaining a little weight each year and was at 235 lbs.  Disgusted with myself as I had always been slim.   I started eating yogurt several times a day and keeping Grapes handy to eat all the time.  In three months I had taken off 20 lbs.  I stayed that way for a year.  Then was up in Stockton last July, ( where I work for a few months each year ) and bought a burrito off of a Hispanic food truck.  I realized that for each of those good healthy burritos ( that I was usually eating one of per day ) I was consuming one great big white flour tortilla.   I stopped eating burritos for "quick easy food" and started carrying with my one hamburger sandwich and a bag of grapes.  I am now 180 pounds and FEEL GREAT.   Have bought new smaller blue jeans and retired the old jeans that were handing off of me.  

Hope this information is of use to someone.   :)

Wolfgang

I admire your tenacity and the results.

I have gained about 30 pounds because of my unchanged appetite and my new knee(s) handicap that prevents me from many of the physical activities that used to help keep me slim. 

Oh well, a trip coming up to the Joint Assessment Clinic and perhaps some knee surgery ????

1 hour ago, Wolfgang, SASS #53480 said:

In my previous post I did mention having trimmed 30 lbs. off of my weight.   I could imagine that there is someone who is wondering and wanting to ask how I did it . . but possibly  embarrassed to ask.?  

Anyhow . . . . 2 years ago I had been gaining a little weight each year and was at 235 lbs.  Disgusted with myself as I had always been slim.   I started eating yogurt several times a day and keeping Grapes handy to eat all the time.  In three months I had taken off 20 lbs.  I stayed that way for a year.  Then was up in Stockton last July, ( where I work for a few months each year ) and bought a burrito off of a Hispanic food truck.  I realized that for each of those good healthy burritos ( that I was usually eating one of per day ) I was consuming one great big white flour tortilla.   I stopped eating burritos for "quick easy food" and started carrying with my one hamburger sandwich and a bag of grapes.  I am now 180 pounds and FEEL GREAT.   Have bought new smaller blue jeans and retired the old jeans that were handing off of me.  

Hope this information is of use to someone.   :)

Wolfgang

My goal is 180 by August.  I'm at a nominal 220 now (give or take three pounds) and down about 50 in the last two years.  I lost mine by losing my wife and me being sick for just over a year.

NOT recommended, but I did shed weight.  Now I'm doing it by losing a lot of things that don't let me lose weight (Damn you, vanilla ice cream and Idle Isle almond nut balls.)  The candy is easier because they are made in Brigham City Utah and are easier to ignore.

I continued to eat as I have always eaten.   Big juicy cheeseburgers,  Pasta swimming in Olive oil, etc. . . plus as always vegetables and salads. also.   Just not as much as any of them as I use to consume.   And always yogurt and grapes.   Has worked good for me.    :)

Wolfgang

Howdy Wolfgang..Firstly well done ..Amazing that you  feel grapes are helping with  contributing to the weight loss, I mean I'm no expert but I would have thought a 'natural yoghurt  by itself would be enough without  the grapes, I suppose it's how many  grapes you have that counts. ! Then I can't talk as I probably have to much  honey !!!!

For myself it is daily exercise [ stretching, weights, rowing machine  ] & a healthy diet 90 % of the time [ a bit of junk now & again ] no caffeine or alcohol.Dates, almonds & walnuts are important, lactose free milk, natural yoghurt & cereals,  herbal teas & plenty of water.meat, fish  & veges definitely !Everyone is different as to how they go about it & no one thing suits all, you have found what works for you & that's all that matters. I'm presently 195 lb & looking to drop 10lb.

Body flexibility is the big key as you get older.

I just gave up what I have been trying 1 hour ago and back to eating food. Lost my wife last May, but I was the cook with many years experience. I haven't lost weight over the past year and a half. So, 4 weeks ago was tired of not losing weight and began almost eating nothing. Breakfast have honey oat brand bread with an egg and slice of cheese. Also 6oz of O.J. For lunch hand full of blueberries and an apple along with 8-12 oz of water. Around 3pm would have a hand full of unsalted mixed nuts. For dinner a can of chicken noodle soup with slice of light butter on 100% whole wheat bread, the next night rice for dinner, then the next night the soup routine. During the evening an ice pop and 6oz coco mix. And after 4 weeks of this, I weigh the same no weight loss.  Also I will note I am extremely active going to the fitness center 3 times a week. Tread mill, bicycle, pumping iron, leg pressing 550# now and lifting 180#. This routine is hour fifteen minutes average. Also hunting season walking sometimes 1 mile to the tree climber and up climbing the tree I go. Of course volunteer at the kids camp 1 day a week running chain saw and what ever else needs done. So, I ain't exactly a couch potato. I give up, may as well eat real food once again. How much more weight do I need to loose, around 50# and yes over the past 10 years have lost 50. Some things just don't work for someone else. 

:D Signed, Just frustrated right now

I cut out as many carbs as I could. No bread, pasta,  rice, and potatoes.   Dropped 65 lbs in next 12 months.  Ben holding for a year and a half now.  Start the day with 2 bacon, 2 eggs and apiece of cheese in my omlet.       meat and veggies the rest of the day with vast amounts of coffee       GW

I have put on 30 pounds in two years! Up to 160 I am. My goal is 170 by the end of the year. I eat what I can when I can. 

My secret is losing a sucky stressful job. 

I've been doing the keto "protein and fat" diet for just over a year, and I've lost 30+ pounds and slowly losing more. I'm a whole lot better at controlling what I eat than I am at controlling how much, so the keto thing works for me. I'm wearing Wranglers I haven't been able to squeeze my fat carcass into in about five years and feeling good. Doesn't work for some people, but it's working for me...

I lost 110 pounds of ugly fat in the divorce court.

Being a diabetic, I can't eat all the wonderful things the OP mentions above.
If I can hunt it down and kill it, or pick it up off the ground, I can eat it.
If I have to dig it out of the ground, or cultivate it.. I can't eat it.

I managed to lose quite a  bit and maintain with a low (low, not no) carb diet; poached egg breakfasts, meat and cheese lunches without bread, and a broiled steak and glass of wine for dinner, for example.

I can lose with 2,000 calories per day and maintain with 2,500 or so. 2000 is far from a starvation diet, so it is not hard to follow.

Lots of veggies and fruit; most of the carbs are from fruit and an occasional hunk of French bread.

To me the key is rigorously eliminating all junk food, and holding alcohol consumption down; i.e., one fulsome glass of red wine at dinner.

Exercise helps control appetite. Getting older, a lot of our weight gain is the laziness of grazing chips and bread and cake and such. Eliminate that, and you can have very good appetizing meals and lose weight. One drink instead of two; a lot of small things like that that you don't miss after a few days.

I was in pretty good shape before I went to work for the Montana DOJ behind a desk for 4 years. When I retired two years ago, the state doc told me at my exit physical in June, "Mr. Johnson, I don't think I've been getting through to you... if you don't change your lifestyle, NOW, and lose a lot of weight, NOW, you are going to die, period. You're on blood thinners, blood pressure meds, and you've had a blood clot in your leg. You're a walking dead man. You may not live to see 2018, and I'm dead serious about that."

I went to WalMart on the way home, bought a FitBit tracker, and started a structured walking and calorie counting regime that very afternoon. Between June and the end of December, I dropped 80 pounds. To keep my weight down, even with the walking, requires a caloric intake so low that most people would starve to death on it. If I go over about 1000-1200 calories, and less than about 5 miles a day, I gain weight. They set me up with the nutritionist. She said, "You're not eating enough, and your body thinks you're starving." She gave me some daily menus of stuff to make, and I laughed and told her, "I eat like this and I'll look like the Goodyear Blimp in a couple months." She said, "Try it". Two weeks later, I had gained 12 pounds. "Your system just hasn't adjusted yet. We'll try it for another couple weeks." Gained another 10 pounds. She said, "That can't be right... you're not cheating on the diet, are you?" :rolleyes:  They did some more tests and couldn't find anything wrong, so I went back to three cups of 80 cal yogurt a day for the next month to drop the weight I gained on their weight-loss diet. :mellow:

I lost 25 pounds or so, simply by reducing my portions. I didn’t really give up anything!! I had continued to lose weight by reducing my intake of Coca Cola and then the Coke Life in the green cans came along!  Did I mention that I’m diabetic? This new Coca Cola product is sweetened with Stevia and cane sugar instead of corn syrup.  It dropped my blood sugar numbers by 20, immediately! I lost almost another 20 pounds by just drinking water more and being more active. I was down to 245 and in control, headed for 230 or 235 when I got sick right before the holidays.  I’m now a streamlined 217 and struggling to get to 225!! I don’t recommend this last method!! It’s not fun!

The smaller portions is the best way to go! Also eating slower! You’ll feel fuller sooner if you slow down and enjoy!!  That’s another thing! Eat whatever you enjoy, just eat a little less of it!!!

I gave up welding and construction after back surgery 24 years ago, then spent 20 plus years at a desk job without changing my diet. Whoops! I went from about 190 to 240 +/- at retirement. I'm about 215 give or take now. I pay attention to the calorie count on restaurant menus. Can't walk much due to leg issues. If I could quit beer, I might whittle it down some more.

I did the water tank fat measurement.

Strip down to the skivvies and get weighed dry.
Get in the nice warm and clean tank, and they put a big diver's weight on your back to hold you under.
Blow out all your air and stay under as long as you can while they weigh you in the water.

The tech measures your total in-water weight after subtracting the lead ballast and water weight.
The difference is your lean body mass because lard floats.
He calculates your age and the number of calories to maintain your LBM when doing nothing except breathing.

In my case, I require 1400 calories to keep breathing.
Any calories I eat above that required by LBM is either burned off in exercise, or stored as fat.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:43 PM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy Wolfgang..Firstly well done ..Amazing that you  feel grapes are helping with  contributing to the weight loss, I mean I'm no expert but I would have thought a 'natural yoghurt  by itself would be enough without  the grapes, I suppose it's how many  grapes you have that counts. ! Then I can't talk as I probably have to much  honey !!!!

For myself it is daily exercise [ stretching, weights, rowing machine  ] & a healthy diet 90 % of the time [ a bit of junk now & again ] no caffeine or alcohol.Dates, almonds & walnuts are important, lactose free milk, natural yoghurt & cereals,  herbal teas & plenty of water.meat, fish  & veges definitely !Everyone is different as to how they go about it & no one thing suits all, you have found what works for you & that's all that matters. I'm presently 195 lb & looking to drop 10lb.

Body flexibility is the big key as you get older.

I was with you till you stuck in the highlited phrase.  Never work for me. I do like grapes though.

Archived